Dogs and raw game meat

Anyone have information about feeding dogs raw wild game (deer)? Local vet says this is a big no, but I really don’t see the harm in it. With the way people treat some dogs better than kids I am skeptical of lots of “dog peoples” advice. Wondering if anyone more informed may have info.

(I am NOT killing deer to feed my dog, but sometimes use scraps to supplement dry food)

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Fine as a supplement, not advised as a stand alone food. It doesn't contain half the stuff a dog actually needs, unless you're also adding fur, fat, organs & bone. Even then you'd need to feed a massive daily quantity & deal with the absolutely incredible ass-gas!

rcb2000

WKR
I did just that,, would keep portions frozen and diced, then just that one at a time.
Never had any issues, but ONE time I kept it thawed for a day or so,, and my dog got really sick. Bad diarrhea for days, to the point that I didn’t think she’d pull through.
Luckily I got some of the ant diarrhea medicine (kind of like pepto for dogs), and brought her back with that and ice chips.

Needless to say I don’t feed her raw anymore.

I’m sure others do it and are just fine (sled dogs, wolves, etc etc etc) but I won’t go through that again.

Mine gets plenty of scraps. Plus, I skin out the shin bone and leave hoof attached. Makes a nice chew toy. She crunches and eats most of it.
I used to do the same, but now my pack fights over it. I don't mean a little growling, I'm talking straight up bloody mf'ing dog fight. Can't do it anymore.

grfox92

WKR
My twp dogs ate two mule deer femurs in about 30 minutes today. Gone. I give them bones with meat on every year. Too much raw meat gives diarrhea. I cooked a bunch of trim today and will mix it into their food for the next few days.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
My beagle and GSP devour it but then puke it up after 12-24 hours I've tried a couple times but same result, bones they are good with just not the meat trimmings.

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
My dog gets a mix of raw scraps and organs from wild game mostly goat and deer. I cook the wild pig organs and meat before feeding though. There's a whole industry of wild game dog food here in Hawaii that's starting to blow up.

Spoonbill

WKR
I mix it in with my labs dog food. I also save the bigger chunks of silver skin and dry them in the dehydrator for treats. My dog seems to digest them better than when I give it to him raw.

mlob1one

WKR
Their "flora" definitely will change, but my dogs love venison trim, and seasonally, it's supplemented heavily into their diet.

When one of my dogs was 3 months old, she ate a dog's a hole up past her ears. Tummy was so big we thought she was gonna blow out, but just stinky. Attached pic was after she had gotten into that doe.

Each dog is different, ymmv
66db7297315cb7bd252d32ef26dae7c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

My parents old lab was always right there every time i butchered a deer. Sitting there shivering, eyes bugging out of his head, drool pouring out his face. Id toss him plenty of trimmings, never a problem. My current dog, gave him raw venison onceand he barfed his guts out. He only gets cooked game trimmings now

Deer, elk, moose, ect.. often contain cysts from worms. Various types of tape worms, and others that can harm the dog and the dogs owner (the dog can spread the worms to people, farm animals, other pets ect….)
The dog acts as the conduit to allow the worms to continue their life cycle.

If you feed raw game meat you probably will want to discuss with your vet about a suggested dewormer application schedule.

As you can read in the link, a few of the preventive measures are to not feed dogs raw game.

Last edited: