Synthetic Insulated Vest?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Never owned an insulated vest. Who makes one that's warm but not super bulky?

mt100gr.

WKR
Last fall I tried the enlightened equipment puffy line. The Torrid Apex pants (tho without a full zip so a bit of a pain) and the Torrid Apex jacket both served me extremely well. They're lighter weight than my super down jacket and pants (only apex 2.0 I believe) but very very warm and very well made. You can get the face fabric in 20d, 10d, or superlight 7d so they aren't for brush busting but for glassing and in camp, etc. I really liked the pieces. I will be adding the Torrid vest this year also 2.0 so for an extra 6oz, I can have my core layered in 4.0 with the jacket over the vest.

I like vests. Extra warmth without adding bulk to your arms. Depending on what type you buy, they can be a bit too fragile to bust brush.

I have a down north face nuptse vets that is now +20 years old. It still gets pulled into service but mainly for cold cold stand sits or non hunting cold weather play.

I have a Sitka kelvin lite. Love the extra warmth it gives and it is low bulk but no where near as warm as the down vest.

I have a Patagonia vest that gets used quite a bit less now that the kelvin has arrived. They are cheap and give a lot of warmth for the weight.

I picked up a jetstream vest last year and like it. It isn’t quite as warm as a puffy vest but it blocks wind on my core and gives a lot more freedom of movement. It is a different type of garment but an option to consider.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Thanks, guys.

My goal is to use it under my LLP for cold glassing sits in November/December.

I really like my Sitka Kelvin Lite, but I do think the Kuiu Super Down is probably quite a bit warmer (which may or may not be a plus) and it’s definitely more packable. The downsides of the Kuiu are that it’s louder and I don’t think as durable, but both of those things are mitigated if worn under a shell. The Kuiu comes in solid colors which is nice if you won’t wear it much as an outer layer hunting.

Lots of options out there those are just the two I’ve personally used.

I had a Sitka kelvin lite vest and while warm and fit pretty well the neck drove me nuts. They made the collar about twice the height of any other collared jacket or vest I’ve ever worn If I zipped it up the collar was in the way or strangling me. I’ve been thinking about one again for awhile now Ryan and just haven’t gotten around to picking one up. Mine would likely bridge the gap between my Peloton 240 and Jetstream jacket. When I want to bring the Peloton but might not be enough and Jetstream will cook me or be too much weight. I plan to wear it under my Peloton.

slowelk

WKR
Kelvin lite and Acteryx atom lt are basically the same thing, but I use the Arcteryx.

I still haven't found anything that works better than a Polartec 200 vest. This is if your layering over it.

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks, guys.

My goal is to use it under my LLP for cold glassing sits in November/December.

I do that with my FL Uncompaghre and have been happy with the combo. It takes up a lot of room in the pack and has some weigh to it carrying both. I am interested in the Chamberlain as a possible option instead of carrying both, but it's drier where I hunt than your area.

The Kuiu Peloton 240 vest is surprisingly warm too. I run it under the Peloton 240 hoody a lot and having a 480 version over my core makes a difference. It's light and thin, not bulky. I wonder if a fleece vest is better than a puffy vest under other layers sometimes, it doesn't get compressed and lose loft as easy.

Last edited: