Synthetic Insulation Technology for Hunting

Dave,

Why would you select Polartech Alpha over say a high loft fleece? I can see the breathable puffys being good for shedding snow and moisture, but if they aren't significantly more windproof, a good fleece is going to be cheaper, quieter, and more durable. All positives for hunting, although perhaps less important for backpacking and climbing. Something I'm missing in the utility of the Alpha and similar jackets?

Yk

DaveC

WKR
Dave,

Why would you select Polartech Alpha over say a high loft fleece? I can see the breathable puffys being good for shedding snow and moisture, but if they aren't significantly more windproof, a good fleece is going to be cheaper, quieter, and more durable. All positives for hunting, although perhaps less important for backpacking and climbing. Something I'm missing in the utility of the Alpha and similar jackets?

Yk

A great question, and one I avoided going into in the article as it would have added several paragraphs. The short answer is that a good fleece and the right windshirt or light soft shell can match or exceed an jacket like the Strata in almost every aspect save weight (the Strata will be lighter). With the right shell the fleece combo will be quieter and much more durable.

The thing an Alpha jacket brings to the table is much less fiddle factor. As another commenter alluded to, Alpha is great for throwing on for a quick break, glassing session, or when you crest a ridge and suddenly need more insulation. The Strata adds a good bit of warmth and still allows moisture to move, and does so with one piece you can just throw on in seconds. With fleece and a shell you're looking at adding two layers, or at taking off your windshirt, putting on the fleece, and putting the windshirt back on. Hi loft fleece also tends to be grabbier and layer less easily, and is of course bulkier both on you and in the pack.

Alpha brings a lot to the table in practice compared to fleece, but they are advantages that don't appear obvious in theory, and of course the price of entry is relatively high. I bought the Strata somewhat on a whim when a deep industry discount became available, and almost sold it early on. When last November rolled around I found myself using it every time I went out hunting, and on every ski trip last winter as well.

LJ Buck

WKR
Your like the 10th person I've heard say that. If it's not an insulation piece what the hell is it then.
It just isn't that warm. I had it out in February in western wy and it couldn't hack it glassing. I hiked in it and it did breath well but it is really just a misfit piece IMO. Was hoping it could act as a insulting/soft shell but it won't work for either in western wy. To hot for a soft shell and not warm enough and the wind cuts right through it for a stand alone insulation piece.

A great question, and one I avoided going into in the article as it would have added several paragraphs. The short answer is that a good fleece and the right windshirt or light soft shell can match or exceed an jacket like the Strata in almost every aspect save weight (the Strata will be lighter). With the right shell the fleece combo will be quieter and much more durable.

I can see the utility for the Apha type insulation for some uses. Particularly for more open country or trail based and cool weather activities (snowshowing, etc). If I had one, I'm sure it would find a place in the jacket pile for outside winter activities. For hunting however, I suspect the utility depends a lot on geography. For myself, if I am above treeline, I seem to typically want the maximum warmth of a true puffy, and if I'm below tree line I need a lot more durability than UL nylon fabric is going to provide. However, as you know the black spruce forests in interior Alaska are pretty rough on clothing (and wind usually isn't a major factor), so I'm biased by location when it comes to hunting.

If not using a windshirt, it seems the weight difference between a heavy fleece and the Alpha or Kuiu insulation is a wash, so it comes down to the other aspects of their respective capabilities.

Yk

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
I know I'm dredging up a 2+yo article, but after doing some reading on BPL and here, I'm still pretty lost on what jacket I should be looking at.

I've been looking at the Sitka Kelvin Active, but reading your comments (and a long thread discussing Alpha on BPL) is giving me pause. I was thinking of it as an UL morning/night/emergency insulator, but it seems clear that I was miss casting it a bit in that role. The First Lite Cirrus jacket is the only other "hunting" puffy I can find in the same weight bracket (mid teens ounce-wise), but it seems that no one knows anything about the "37.5 Synthetic" insulation that FL is using. As a NM hunter with aspirations to someday perhaps hunt AZ and CO as well, warmth is secondary to weight, but at the same time, it needs to be warm enough to "rescue me" from possible temperature dips or if I get rained on or sweat out in cool weather.

So I guess my questions are A: Have you (or anyone) been able to learn anything about the 37.5 Synthetic, and B: Am I just completely off base and I need to be looking at something heavier or in down.

Thanks to Dave for the write-up and anyone who may see/reply to this!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for bumping this up. Great article Dave. Maybe this should be a sticky thread?

JP100

WKR
didnt realize this article was so old haha.
Very good info here.
Synthetics have been a bit confusing for me and have always gone with down because its easy to compare down jackets.
hopefully have an Alpha jacket coming for next winter to test. Should be good for conditions here where its not super cold, but often damp/wet and active hunting

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just sold my Kenai. Its not a true insulation piece IMO.

Your like the 10th person I've heard say that. If it's not an insulation piece what the hell is it then.

I'm just an anomaly I guess. I didn't care for the Uncompahgre as it didn't keep me warm at all for static activities, but since I posted last in this thread I picked up the Kenai and I love it. The XL is a little tight, but overall it has become my favorite jacket. I use it year round when needed.

twall13

WKR
I know I'm dredging up a 2+yo article, but after doing some reading on BPL and here, I'm still pretty lost on what jacket I should be looking at.

I've been looking at the Sitka Kelvin Active, but reading your comments (and a long thread discussing Alpha on BPL) is giving me pause. I was thinking of it as an UL morning/night/emergency insulator, but it seems clear that I was miss casting it a bit in that role. The First Lite Cirrus jacket is the only other "hunting" puffy I can find in the same weight bracket (mid teens ounce-wise), but it seems that no one knows anything about the "37.5 Synthetic" insulation that FL is using. As a NM hunter with aspirations to someday perhaps hunt AZ and CO as well, warmth is secondary to weight, but at the same time, it needs to be warm enough to "rescue me" from possible temperature dips or if I get rained on or sweat out in cool weather.

So I guess my questions are A: Have you (or anyone) been able to learn anything about the 37.5 Synthetic, and B: Am I just completely off base and I need to be looking at something heavier or in down.

Thanks to Dave for the write-up and anyone who may see/reply to this!

Not specifically for hunting, but I just picked up a Kryptek Lykos jacket a couple of weeks ago for wearing around town and the size large weighs in at 14.55 Oz. The shell fabric has a tighter weave similar to most downproof fabrics but it is a lightweight synthetic jacket and the cut is suitable for hunting, IMO. No camo, but it does come in an olive color and it's on sale for a great price right now ($80). I don't have a ton of experience with it but it seems like a good piece so far. I wouldn't say it's quite as warm as my main hunting puffy (Kryptek Down Aquillo), but I wouldn't hesitate to use it as my main insulation piece during a September hunt. Not that this post answers any of your questions but it may give you another option to consider.

Justin,

37.5 aka Cocona is a patented activated charcoal bonding process to coat fibers. 37.5 has some benefits when new (odor reduction, reduced IR signature for military, and moisture buffering). Reactivation through dryer heat is very marginal and so it is progressively less effective.

It is not an insulation per se but it is branded as such when the coating is on the garment. It doesn't increase the clo value of the item it is added to.

Last edited:

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies guys, good info.

Not specifically for hunting, but I just picked up a Kryptek Lykos jacket a couple of weeks ago for wearing around town and the size large weighs in at 14.55 Oz.

I looked at the Lykos, but for some reason was thinking it was heavier than that. I almost picked one up the other day when they had the extra 10% off sale on Clearance Cave items, but didn't have my size available.

It is not an insulation per se but it is branded as such when the coating is on the garment.

Interesting. So while some neat side benefits, nothing too earth-shattering. Do we know what "type" of synthetic First Lite has applied the Cocona treatment to in their jackets?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies guys, good info.

I looked at the Lykos, but for some reason was thinking it was heavier than that. I almost picked one up the other day when they had the extra 10% off sale on Clearance Cave items, but didn't have my size available.

Interesting. So while some neat side benefits, nothing too earth-shattering. Do we know what "type" of synthetic First Lite has applied the Cocona treatment to in their jackets?

I would like to know also.

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Anymore information on the First Lite 37.5 insulation. I know this is an old thread but maybe some new info. I was not very impressed with the Uncompahgre puffy in cold weather glassing with a shell. Starting looking at the kelvin jacket and looking at th new First Lite Brooks Down Sweater. Anyone out there have any thoughts. I know that Sitka has the kelvin lite and the kelvin windstoppe, looking for a little guidance. Live in Wyoming and wind is really what gets you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk