T/C Contender Stocks and Barrels?

I’ll start by saying I have used the search feature will minimal results. I’m also typing this on my phone because computers are at work and I have a bit of down time now so hang in there.

I recently purchased a TC Contender and I am looking to upgrade to an adjustable stock and new 44 mag barrel. I see the Choate grip and stock here;

But this setup is seemingly very basic and I was looking for something a bit more bomb proof.

I’m also looking at shorter threaded 44 barrels to run with a can. Does anyone have experience with this offering or is there something else out there that will fit my needs?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want adjustable, the Choate is really the only offering out there for the Contender. Also, if you have a G2, that stock won't work on it. If you are familiar with the various versions of the Contender frame, disregard. If you are not, Google is helpful, or just shoot me a PM or tag me on a repost and I will be happy to give you the info.

As for the barrel, the one you posted will do just fine for your intended purpose. Match Grade Machine (MGM) also makes great barrels for the Contender and Encore. They will make it custom for you with a reasonable turn around.

OP
DoveBlaster
Thanks for the input. The frame I have is a G1. Do you have any experience with the Choate?

SSK makes a pistol grip that accepts a buffer tube with or without folding mechanism built in. Sharps also makes a grip with pic rail that can accept a buffer tube. Ethier one of those would probably be better than a choate. The non folding ssk would probably be the strongest option. My next contender barrel will be a ssk 1-7 16 inch 223 as they seem to be the only ones twisting things properly.

OP
DoveBlaster
Thanks for the reply’s, now I’ve got to decide if I want pic rail or fixed… The sharps and ssk are the options I was looking for but couldn’t find them. Does anyone have experience with the ssk barrels?

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm actually doing the same thing with my encore chambered in .308. The Chaote is basically what I'm looking for, but it's VERY heavy when compared with others. SSK makes an adjustable, folding stock that looks awesome and if I remember right was something like a pound lighter than the Chaote. I would buy it tomorrow if they made it for the encore. However they DO make it for the Contender! Lucky you!

It's similar to the sharps bros but preassembled and looks very nice, and I think ends up cheaper after you add up the sharps bros grip, folding buffer tube, stock, etc. This is what I would do if I were you.

I'm going to wait a year or so and see if SSK produces one for the encore. If not I'll go sharps bros route.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
The Choate is a tank....look at the Sharps Brothers grip. I put a folding Sig stock on mine and like it a lot.
Do you mind sharing which stock you picked? I'm seriously considering a sig folding stock, but haven't seen any put on a sharps bros grip. I'd love to see a picture of your setup.

Do you mind sharing which stock you picked? I'm seriously considering a sig folding stock, but haven't seen any put on a sharps bros grip. I'd love to see a picture of your setup.
I am running a sub 16 barrel so using a Sig brace. Off an MCX I believe. They also make them as a rifle stock however the brace version is legal on both pistol or rifle barrels.

OP
DoveBlaster
Bumping this to the top, I have purchased a contender frame with wood stock. I ended up getting this barrel;

The ssk fixed grip has been out of stock for the past 2 weeks and I sent them an email asking when it would be back but they didn't have a solid idea. Sign of the times I guess. I think I'm sold on the fixed grip vs the flip grip or the sharps pic rail grip but time will tell if they don't get them in stock in a timely manner.

Now onto forends, what is everyone running that's lightweight and will accept my barrel size/ suppressor?
As always any input is greatly appreciated and I hope everyone had a great 4th of July.

I’ll start by saying I have used the search feature will minimal results. I’m also typing this on my phone because computers are at work and I have a bit of down time now so hang in there.

I recently purchased a TC Contender and I am looking to upgrade to an adjustable stock and new 44 mag barrel. I see the Choate grip and stock here;

But this setup is seemingly very basic and I was looking for something a bit more bomb proof.

I’m also looking at shorter threaded 44 barrels to run with a can. Does anyone have experience with this offering or is there something else out there that will fit my needs?

Great... More contender stuff I did not know I needed.

There is an old builder in AZ that does customer guns, David Van Horn, at the Gun Shop. I bought my first contender about 3 years ago. Since then I have added and added. I am up to 4 frames and 6 additional barrels. My favorites are these 3.

The custom stock (I have the matching hand grips but it hurt to shoot) from David Van Horn on the gun on the left is my TC chambered in .223, The center was a weird one I found at the gun smith. It has some “special” grips, or so he said. It has a sterling silver plate from TC. He claimed in the 80s it was some limited build they did for one year. I have never found any information. And the one on the right, well that is my 454 casull. Its a hand cannon, super fun to shoot and heavy as could be!

I will have to get out my 44 barrel and see how long it is. Its a custom barrel so I'm sure that he probably has what you want. He's about 90 and can't hear very well, so good luck calling him. :)

if you're in the area look him up, if not let me know how short you want it, I may be enticed to go look for you. I know his custom barrels aren't cheap, but he can thread it for what ever you want.

GOPR0037_result-1-scaled.webp

GOPR0038_result-1-scaled.webp

GOPR0039_result-1-scaled.webp

GOPR0040_result-1-scaled.webp

GOPR0046_result.webp

Wapiti1

WKR
Are you guys sure about a can on a sub-16" barrel not requiring a Form 1 approval? Pretty sure the only way that is legal is if you pin or weld the can to the barrel making the total length 16" or greater. Removable isn't acceptable.

Correct me if I am wrong on that, but that is my understanding of the NFA rules.

Jeremy

OP
DoveBlaster
You know I'd hate to pretend to be some sort of NFA rules scholar because I'm not but I think its ok to run a short barrel with a "pistol brace" and a can.

Wapiti1

WKR
You know I'd hate to pretend to be some sort of NFA rules scholar because I'm not but I think its ok to run a short barrel with a "pistol brace" and a can.
I missed pistol brace as part of the discussion. Yes, that is acceptable in my understanding.

Jeremy

Are you guys sure about a can on a sub-16" barrel not requiring a Form 1 approval? Pretty sure the only way that is legal is if you pin or weld the can to the barrel making the total length 16" or greater. Removable isn't acceptable.

Correct me if I am wrong on that, but that is my understanding of the NFA rules.

Jeremy

Putting a can on a sub 16" barrel doesn't have any restrictions on it at all. Putting a rifle stock on a sub 16" barrel is the issue. I use my suppressors on 2/3 of my Encore and Contender pistols now.

However, putting a pistol brace on it is fine.