T-minus 294 Days until my first western hunt

OP
Youngbuck

Youngbuck

FNG
Little update on this thread since it's been awhile. I ended up finding a hunting partner.

We decided to fly out. Bought a one way ticket. If we're successful, we have the option to get a rental and drive back, or we can freeze the meat and carry it back carry on/checked bags. and have the antlers shipped. We'll fly out the 8th, and hope to be able to scout before the season opens on the 15th. Have several spots to check out and hope to avoid as many other hunters as possible, but I guess I guess don't call it the 7 day war for nothing.

I did upgrade some of my gear that I had listed above. For my tent, I went with the Redcliff and large stove from seek outside. After a few recommendations from here, I went with the big Agnes down 15* sleeping bag. I also picked up a couple knives, a fixed blade benchmade, and the Gerber EBS knife by Randy Newberg. I picked up some of the cascade mtn trekking poles from academy back in the summer and used them several times on trips up to the Appalachian mtns. They worked out great, and for the price, you can't beat them. Water filter is a katadyn hiker pro. It's the pump style, and came with some quick connects to keep me from having to take the reservoir all the way out of my pack. Also, the game bags I ended up with are the Argali high country, and also have a couple Kuiu bone out med. bags. Tossed in a couple contractor bags, 550 cord and some latex gloves and that's my kill kit.

With just a few weeks left before we head out, I've been getting all of my food in order. I have a mix of Peak refuel and mountain house meals for breakfast and dinner, with a bagel, some clif bars, peanut butter, fritos, and some individual cheese packs. Also have a few candy bars mixed in. I'm aiming for less than 2 lbs. per day

Last edited: