TAC - Lost Arrows

D_Eightch

WKR
Do people really lose that many arrows or is it mainly the casual shooters that are losing them? Just wondering if I should get another half dozen whipped up quick. Lol

big44a4

WKR
Yes they do! I lost only 1 this year off a limb deflection 55 yard shot. And lost 2 last year 1 on the courses and 1 on broken arrow contest. If you are on your game you could make it with 6 arrows through the 3 main courses and the novelty shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I lost one after it went just over the top of a skunk and over a hill... 1 went into a tree and the insert and tip came out (along with about 25 other tips permanently embedded into the tree)... and 1 broke into at least 3 pieces when it ricocheted off a couple of trees as I tried to thread it through.

They don't make the targets intentionally easy or even realistic from the perspective of a shot people would normally take during hunting. But it sure is fun!

-David

Sled

WKR
Do people really lose that many arrows or is it mainly the casual shooters that are losing them? Just wondering if I should get another half dozen whipped up quick. Lol

Which TAC are you going to? The ones out west can be quite punishing on wayward arrows. Some do get lost but most end up in a orange HD 5 gallon bucket. you should see the dumpsters full of arrows after the snowbird TAC.

big44a4

WKR
Another reason many people lose so many arrows is they aren’t used to shooting longer distances or angles. TAC encourages people to know their limits and walk up closer as it’s a fun shoot. I routinely practiced out to 145 yards so made all the shots easier. Yes the placements are challenging as well. Threading the needle at 70 yards between 2 trees and a branch. Or 105 yard shot over a hill can only see antlers/head and spine. Etc. it’s challenging but that’s what makes it fun.

I only lost one arrow because the shot was 126 and my sight went to 97, so it was quite a hold over. I brought way too many arrows, 20 to be exact and all I did was carry them all over the course. You can do it with a quiver of arrows if you are a decent shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Loaded question. No one on this forum will tell you not to. Me included.

I rarely lose one target practicing, but every year I lose a couple to several hunting. Some are lost from deflections, my poor shooting, or a pass through I just can't find. Others are broken by the animal I shot.

Once my partner fell on my bow while we were elk hunting, and broke 4 out the 5 in my quiver.

Get more arrows.

Jeremy

Stwrt9

WKR
I lost 4 arrows over 2 days of shooting and it was mostly due to shots that were presented. As someone else posted its more of a fun shoot and some of the shots you most likely wouldn't try in a hunting situation due to yardage, angle, and or clearances/openings. It's meant to be fun and test your abilities by pushing your limits. We had a blast!

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I was talking to the guys who set the course at Boyne Mountain in Michigan this weekend. They set the courses up over to two days and they don’t measure yardage on the shots they just set a target and a cone to shoot from and say “that looks good” and move on to the next one. They don’t shoot the course so you end up with some pretty challenging shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would expect a challenge at one of these shoots. If it was all straight forward and easy, there would be no reason to go. We can do that in our back yards. It's like those 3D shoots you go to and you could do the entire shoot with one pin......why bother.

Stwrt9

WKR
I would expect a challenge at one of these shoots. If it was all straight forward and easy, there would be no reason to go. We can do that in our back yards. It's like those 3D shoots you go to and you could do the entire shoot with one pin......why bother.

if you ever get a chance to go to one these you won't be dissapointed. With all the hiking around and different shots it makes for a good way to train for some shots you just can't practice at home.

OP
D_Eightch

D_Eightch

WKR
We are heading to Terry Peak. I did order up another dozen just because I enjoy building them, don't plan on losing many though!

I practice at longer distances, but angles is another story so that should be fun. Everything is flat in Eastern ND!

Thanks for the input from all of you, can't wait to get out there and fling some arrows.