Tactacam solar panel and lithium cartridge

rusty25

FNG
I have several Reveal X cell cams. I just bought 2 solar panels and 2 lithium battery cartridges. For those with experience, would you pair the lithium cartridge with solar panel on the same camera? Or, would you use the lithium cartridge in one camera and the solar panel on a different camera? Looking to decrease the amount of AA batteries I run through each year.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have Costco batteries in my 2x cameras with their panels. Both have read 100% battery since installed nearly 6 months ago.

I wouldn’t put $$ batteries in them. The panels do their job well

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
The solar panel will stay at around 100% if it gets sufficient sun. So whatever batteries you use as backup are not that important.

By the way it has been my experience that in cold weather the lithium cartridge on its own will last about 2/3s as long as Ultimate Lithium batteries.

pirogue

WKR
Depends on the amount of time you select for daytime/nighttime work. You understand that the solar panel only provides power to the camera, right? It does not charge the battery in the camera, regardless of the type.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Depends on the amount of time you select for daytime/nighttime work. You understand that the solar panel only provides power to the camera, right? It does not charge the battery in the camera, regardless of the type.
Pretty sure the panel has a lithium battery built in and it charges that. The normal Batteries are just backup.

100% battery showing over many day/night cycles is likely an indication that the charging during the day is overcoming any day/nighttime power consumption. Or said another way it’s taking in more power than it’s losing.

Bottom line batteries shouldn’t matter. Save your money there and use cheaper ones (not so cheap you worry about them blowing out though).

Attachments

• IMG_8555.jpeg
    IMG_8555.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
R

rusty25

FNG
Gotcha - thanks for the input. Guess I'll power 4 different cams with the 2 solar panels and 2 lithium cartridges.