Tagged out in FL

FLS

WKR
I took a trip down to chase Florida gobblers this past week.I hunted solo in the south central part of the state then hunted with my best friend almost in sight of the GA line. The southern hunt started off slow. Conditions were tough, what few birds if found were quiet, and henned up. and the weather was hot and muggy, even for FL in March, then it rained, hard. The rain did bring some coolder weather behind it and Friday morning the birds were gobbling. Good thing cause I had to leave NLT than noon to get up north make the hunt Saturday with by buddy. I set up in a between two areas in had seen birds on and old logging trail. At daylight I had birds gobbling on both sides of me, but I also had hens between me and both gobblers. It would be a waiting game. About 10:30 I could see a bird coming thru the woods and a couple of soft clucks had him lit up heading my way. The woods were thick with a lot of vines and I had one gap between two pines that would give me a 30 yd shot. Seemed end like he took forever to get where I could shoot him, when he did a single cluck made him look my way and a load of TSS out of my 20 gauge put him down hard. I had a little disappointment when I got my hands on him what I had pegged for a 2 year old was actually a big jake. It faded quick though, I’d had several days of tough hunting on unfamiliar ground and my plan had worked out. I had and Osceola in the bag and in time to make the hunt with my buddy.20220325_101123.jpg

Last edited:
OP
F

FLS

WKR
The second hunt was on a friends property right off the Suwannee river. We' ve hunted together for 20 + years, but havent turkey hunted together in several years. We set up on the edge of a pasture bordering a swamp where the birds like to roost. At grey light some soft yelps got a response sbout 100 yards from us. Multiple birds fired off. About 30 minutes later they flew down. 3 gobblers a jake then 3 hens. The proceeded to get out in the middle of the field and do what turkeys do. We called, they gobbled, but no way they were leaving those hens. We wathed them for about an hour, then as luck would have it the hens started feeding out way. I took a while but finally we had them in range. We each picked out a tom and 3-2-1 doubled. Some high fives and we gathered our birds and made a hasty exit so he could come back hunt the area again without it being disturbef too much. We would take picks back at camp. Back at camp I went in to get something and when i came back out hes snatched the beard off and is cutting the breast out of my bird. WTF we havent taken any hero pics yet! Oh well, we did get some shitty ones and he put me on a bird. 20220326_091203.jpg He's a hellva better turkey hunter than photographer...