Tagged out

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
It's been quiet around here so I figured nobody would complain about seeing a few dead blacktails. I had great dreams about taking at least one buck on a backpack hunt this year but it wasn't to happen. I spent a few days in one of our northern California wilderness areas during archery season but the only buck I saw was a nice one that walked through my camp at night.

Since my wife is pregnant and we are only stateside for a few months I couldn't spend all my time away in the wilderness. We are staying at my parents place and they have 25 acres surrounded by a number of larger properties. We've kiled bucks there over the years but usually just little forks. The evening of august 24 I sat in a tree stand I hung on their property 3 years ago but have never seen a buck out of. Right at last light I heard foot steps coming and a nice buck stepped out from some small firs at 25 yards. It was pretty dark because I was in the thick woods and as I drew and released I realized I hadn't really picked a spot. He was slightly quartering toward me but I still felt I hit him pretty good. I heard him crash off down into a creek bed, then double back and then head straight away and then silence. I waited 45 minutes and then went looking. The blood trail was good and I found this nice lung blood.
I figured I'd find him really quick. Long story short, I lost the trail, went back in the morning picked it up and lost it again. It was heading straight down hill but when the trail hit an open pasture it disappeared. I assumed he kept going straight down but couldn't find any more blood. After a total of about 8 hours of searching I had to give up. A week later I was seeing a bunch of vultures so I went down there. As I approached where the vultures were I could smell something dead. All of a sudden a bear stood up 25 yards in front of me. She had a cup with here and I had to yell and throw rocks to get them to go away. My buck had done a complete u-turn where I lost the trail and headed back up hill into a steep rocky area. He must have had enough life left to look for a safe place to get away. I had assumed he was in a death rush heading straight down hill. It was bittersweet and the meat was lost, but I was glad he was dead.
By far the biggest buck we've taken on my parents property.

all cleaned up:

2nd buck
Last monday morning we were finally getting some rain and deer were moving around more. I got into the stand a half hour before shooting light. There was so much water dripping off the trees I couldn't hear anything moving. As it started to get light it was so foggy I couldn't see more than 50 yards. I was looking toward the patch of small firs that I'd shot the first buck out of and as I stared it was like this deer just materialized. As he turned his head I could tell it was a buck. He was only 30 yards away but he had no idea I was there. He turned broadside feeding and as his head went behind a tree I raised the gun. It was early in the season and I wanted to hold out for something big but he looked decent and better than most we ever see here. Also, my wife is due in a couple weeks and I didn't know if I'd get many more opportunities to hunt. It was also my daughter's 5th birthday and i had told her I'd try to shoot her a deer for her birthday. After the shot he wheeled and ran 40 yards. I thought he'd fallen down in a deep ravine but thankfully he fell right at the top before going down.

My daughters were so excited, especially the birthday girl! This is what she got to wake up to:
Not the biggest bucks ever but not bad for coastal blackies and its the first time I've actually filled both tags in one season. Also got drawn for a Marble mountains antlerless elk and got to fill it in the back country! It's been a good season- God's been good to me and now I get to meet my first son in less than 2 weeks!

Nice looking bucks. I especially like the big 3 point. I'm glad you were able to finally locate the first buck, losing animals sucks.

Nice job tagging out!
sorry to hear about your first buck, did you find out where you hit him?

No, it was so eaten up by the time I found it I couldn't tell where I hit it. Plus that mama bear and her cup were watching me from 60 yards away while I cut the head off so I was trying to be quick and kept watching over my shoulder- didn't inspect it too closely

Blacktails are some if the toughest animals I have ever shot. It seems like they always ran out if blood, changed direction and scurried into a black berry thicket or some other impenetrable area. Good job on the bucks.

Back