Tahr to 44 mag?

Shraggs

WKR
Anyone run or tahr or similar midsized simple pack and change to a 44 mag this year with more interior organization and easier access.

Thoughts or contrasts ?

oldhorse

WKR
I ran a Woodsman over the summer. I had a large belt pouch on each side of the pack and a Sherman Pocket for some external organization. I ran it without a lid to keep it low profile. When my 44 Mag arrived I transferred everything out of the Woodsman into it. I had plenty of room to spare, with no additional pockets. I definitely like the layout of the 44 Mag better.

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
I am still running my Tahr and I have the 44 Mag, obviously with 44 Mag the increase in capacity and the ease in getting those items I need when I get to my spot, to me is the major selling point. With the Tahr you have resort to external pouches and I try to minimize the use of pouches. The Tahr loose out because of the lack of interior organization and easier access.

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
I kinda thought the interior on both was 3400 not counting tahrs snow collar or sewn pockets of 44 mag?

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
The side pouch capacity, the top lid compartments, the sewn in interior compartment and ease of access with the zipper system is the game changer to me. I can carry more with the 44 Mag, unlike with the Tahr I would need to extend the snow collar and to run external pouches, and I am not a fan of running a bunch of external pouches.

I actually just sold my tahr. The main difference in kit and setup is that I use fewer stuff sacks. Aside from that, the stackup in the bag ends up being much different (the 44 mag org pouches are at the top of the bag, while with the tahr things were much lower) for daypack setups.

Mitten32

WKR
I too have debated on this pack several times. I currently run the woodsman as some others stated above. The zippered pockets, clam shell opening, and internal organization are pretty attractive options of the 44 mag. I don’t run a spotter so the zippered pockets weren't a make or break for me. In the long run I ended up modifying my woodsman with side stretchy pockets. With the stretch pockets and large belt pouch as my lid my bag comes in at 2 pounds 5 ounces according to my scale. The 44 mag is a full pound heavier per their website.

I have a tahr and like it. I ran no lid and two pockets for day packs. It is a very customizable bag. With that said I am selling my system to try something else. Really just scratching an itch.

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
I like the trim light tahr, but access...

Too many pockets is counter to simple. But a few smaller ones for access to common stuff means I don’t open the bag much and live out of Sherman and either a organizer lid or belt pouch up top.

I don’t know...

Appreciate feedback guys.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 44mag. However I try to keep all my hunting things organized and I have a heck of a time remembering where the headlamp pouch is apposed to my knifes! Sometimes to many options for organizing can be counter productive.