Talk me out of, or into a canoe

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
Been really considering buying a canoe lately and found a great deal on one that is practically brand new (retails for $2200 and selling for $600). But as with any larger purchase like this, I keep fighting myself on whether it's practical and/or a good idea to get one. Half of me thinks its probably just me watching YouTube videos of people exploring ME and MN and enjoying that life. The other half is trying to talk myself into buying it by thinking it will be a good idea to use if I have kids in the future and have family and friends at my cabin. Right now I have two kayaks that work for my GF and I, but I'm always looking to the future and having options. Last thought is, just buy it because if I don't use it I could probably sell it for what I paid or more?!?!

So what do y'all say? Should I jump on it or not?

P.S.-I live in PA and have a small 350 acre lake within a 10 minute drive of the cabin that the canoe would be used on 95% of the time.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Have had both canoes and kayaks. Been dumped out of both. Enjoyed them both. Still have kayaks. Sold last canoe during Covid at twice what I paid for it. Sounds like you need that canoe, living so close to water.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I live on a small 200 acre lake. Have the GF, kayaks, and a nice Old Town canoe. The canoe gets used very very rarely. Sounds more fun than it is. Kayaks get used frequently. My intention was to use it on the river, but I got a float tube for that and it is far more enjoyable.

Decker9

WKR
I love my canoe, couldn’t imagine not owning one. Something I do find though is a sore back if I’m in it to long, but could be due to the 30 year old seats in it lol. I always assumed a kayak would be worse for comfort, but Iv never sat in one to know for sure.

Our district is called “the lakes district”, with over 2000 miles of fishing between all the small lakes. Great place for a canoe!!

Looking back at memories, a lot of them involve a canoe (moose hunts, fishing, river trips), maybe that’s why I’m so attached to them.

For the price you’ve mentioned, I believe you’d get your $$ back from it if you decided to re sell.

Attachments

• IMG_5832.jpeg
    IMG_5832.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
T

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I love my canoe, couldn’t imagine not owning one. Something I do find though is a sore back if I’m in it to long, but could be due to the 30 year old seats in it lol. I always assumed a kayak would be worse for comfort, but Iv never sat in one to know for sure.

Our district is called “the lakes district”, with over 2000 miles of fishing between all the small lakes. Great place for a canoe!!

Looking back at memories, a lot of them involve a canoe (moose hunts, fishing, river trips), maybe that’s why I’m so attached to them.

For the price you’ve mentioned, I believe you’d get your $$ back from it if you decided to re sell.
The kayak I have for myself is actually quite nice. It has one of those removal stadium type seats with a back. I most likely won't be taking it down any rivers. It would be mostly for lake paddling.

WKR
So you buy a canoe for $600, use it for 3 years and sell it for $600. This doesn't seem like a crisis. Personally I love fishing out of a well built canoe for bass and panfish.

Reactions: mjh
I’ve owned them off and on for a lot of years. Once sit on top kayaks were refined for fishing, I gave my last one away and will likely never own another.

If you own a kayak you’ll be the same way. When kids cone, if that changes, buy one then. Lots of good models. You don’t have to have an old town. I’ve owned two of those. A Coleman will work great. I’ve owned one of those.

Good luck

thayerp81

FNG
just make sure to buy it right and keep a Canoe around. I always keep one around because they're easy to load/move, can haul a few people and gear and are just generally very versatile.

SteveinMN

FNG
If the deal is that good you need to buy it. The question is do you hang onto it or sell it.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Better visibility, easier to carry cargo & dogs, drier, easier to hop in and out of, more artistry to the actual paddling, and easier to bring a kid or partner along. Flatwater paddling is like watching paint dry to me, but I don't fish. Floating rivers is great.

ETA: I see a lot of people paddling crappy canoes and that don't know how to drive them. If you have a good boat and know what you're doing, they can be very nimble and fun. It is a skill though, and takes some learning if you don't know how.

Last edited:
two happy days for a canoe owner. the day you get it and the day you sell it. hence, a $2200 canoe for $600. that guy will be happy to get rid of it. will you be happy to see it sit mostly unused when the money is better used elsewhere?

Scoot

WKR
Buy it. If you hate it, you can probably sell it for a profit after a few years.

OP
T

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned them off and on for a lot of years. Once sit on top kayaks were refined for fishing, I gave my last one away and will likely never own another.

If you own a kayak you’ll be the same way. When kids cone, if that changes, buy one then. Lots of good models. You don’t have to have an old town. I’ve owned two of those. A Coleman will work great. I’ve owned one of those.

Good luck
It's a Wenonah Royalex model, which I know are highly desirable, which is keeping me hanging around as well. I know they were built to last as long as you maintain them.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
It's a Wenonah Royalex model, which I know are highly desirable, which is keeping me hanging around as well. I know they were built to last as long as you maintain them.
Great boats and hard to find (depending on where you are). If you want one a year from now you might not be able to get it. Conversely, unlikely to lose much value. Grab it and a copy of Path of the Paddle and see what happens.

Years ago I bought a 7 1/2 ft rubber raft that I have used on western rivers and lakes. It works for two, handles the dogs and is much more stable in rough water. I can handle it by myself because it is light and only harder in high winds at least on overland trips. I certainly feel more comfortable on white water and waves than a canoe.

Just another option.

tater

WKR
I've been paddling canoes since i was 7, and can't imagine not having at least one around. One of my moose hunting partners is one of the premier wood/canvas boat restorers in North America (three year waitlist) , so i've had the chance to play with everything from hand laid cedar strip to canvas to high tech kevlar.

Canoes are like single shot rifles, bamboo fly rods and old motorcycles:
If you have the bug you get it. If you don't you won't.

$600 is a truly cheap cost of entry for any new hobby. Like others have said, if it doesn't ring your bell sell it.