Talk to me about the XLR Element

bwp

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently running krg bravos on my 6 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC. I’ve been considering selling them and switching things over to the Element magnesium with the folding stock. Have anyone made this switch? Pros or cons?

The 6mm is a Howa 1500 and the 6.5 PRC is a bighorn origin

I have two. Depends on the application, but they will save you some weight.

IMO they’re great for a truck hunt, somewhere you know your shot will be off a tripod, minimal hiking. Obviously PRS style matches as well.

I kind of hate the folder? In theory it’s awesome but it doesn’t latch or lock folded or extended. Bumping around hiking it’s always folding itself or coming unfolded. Only useful when strapped to a pack really. If it locked like the sig cross that would be great.

I’m probably going to swap out to Rokstok or my VG stocks when deer/elk hunting. Lighter, easier to carry with a gun bearer/sling type carry, potentially better shootability.

I love the look and idea of them, but I’m gravitating towards lightweight stocks designed for function over form.

OP
bwp

bwp

Lil-Rokslider
I have two. Depends on the application, but they will save you some weight.

IMO they’re great for a truck hunt, somewhere you know your shot will be off a tripod, minimal hiking. Obviously PRS style matches as well.

I kind of hate the folder? In theory it’s awesome but it doesn’t latch or lock folded or extended. Bumping around hiking it’s always folding itself or coming unfolded. Only useful when strapped to a pack really. If it locked like the sig cross that would be great.

I’m probably going to swap out to Rokstok or my VG stocks when deer/elk hunting. Lighter, easier to carry with a gun bearer/sling type carry, potentially better shootability.

I love the look and idea of them, but I’m gravitating towards lightweight stocks designed for function over form.
I’ll have to look into those. I was originally looking to put these into a manners of some kind and started gravitating towards the element. I wasn’t aware the folding stock didn’t lock in place.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
You can get the double lock MDT folder mechanism. Either on their chassis or any other one with a buffer tube or AR style butt stock attachment

Wrench

WKR
I have one and setting up another for my son. I don't see myself hunting with it if it can be really cold or hot due to the contact with metal, but it is cool to be able to swap a variety of actions into and maintain decent accuracy.

They do get beat up easy with all of the edges.....but if you're ok with it looking used, no problem.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
The folder on my XLR locks open, but is not locked when it’s folded. idk maybe I have a newer on. I agree with wrench about the edges, I chewed up part of the arca when I forgot to take the pins out of the 419 bipod adaptor

I use one a lot. I pack them with a gun bearer, by hand, clamped to the tripod, etc. Haven’t had any issues packing them.

I’ve never had issues using them in more extreme temps. This year I used one in Nevada in August and North Dakota in January. Fairly diverse range of temps imo.

Some have the folder, some don’t. I’ve never used the folder while packing. I have used it for easier hauling in the truck. Idk if I would order another with it or not. Kinda 50/50 on them.

The folder on my XLR locks open, but is not locked when it’s folded. idk maybe I have a newer on. I agree with wrench about the edges, I chewed up part of the arca when I forgot to take the pins out of the 419 bipod adaptor

Mine does lock open, but just this weekend when loaded into my Slik Sling it tried to fold itself. The release button is very easy to depress and I must have bumped it with my arm…

tdhanses

WKR
You can get the double lock MDT folder mechanism. Either on their chassis or any other one with a buffer tube or AR style butt stock attachment
Is the MDT mechanism rock solid or does it have some movement? Sounds like the 1 way might be solid but the 2 way may have some movement. I have a folder mech on my XLR but it wasn’t from them and the play bugs me.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
Is the MDT mechanism rock solid or does it have some movement? Sounds like the 1 way might be solid but the 2 way may have some movement. I have a folder mech on my XLR but it wasn’t from them and the play bugs me.
I have the single lock on a cz 457 and it's pretty damn solid, not hiking with it, didn't think I needed the extra lock. If it was for a hunting rifle I would have. Everything from MDT I've purchased has been very high quality