Target Backpack/Gear Weight?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Solid looking list, I wouldn't worry about dropping the extra filter if it gives you peace of mind since it only is a 3oz penalty.

I'm curius why you would carry something you don't "need"? That is exactly how you go from a pack weight of 45 lbs to a pack weight of 65 lbs.

Over the years I have been cutting all the things I don't actually NEED to take. By doing that I can go for five days of rifle hunting with a partner and have a minimum pack weight just over 30 lbs. That is really cutting though and not for everyone.

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate them. My list is still a work in progress as I've ordered things that haven't arrived yet and some clothing items haven't even been released yet so I'm guessing on a lot of weight. I also realize I've doubled up on things like water filters and a few others. This will be my first time backpacking and I will be solo so I've intentionally over prepared to make it easier comfort wise.

Pass on the extras, that's why you buy quality top end gear. They cost a ton because they work. There is no reason you couldn't be down to 45-50lbs and still be comfortable and safe.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on the style of hunting. Hell, I've never weighed my pack or totaled the weight of my gear. I just take what I need, load it up, and lug it up the mountain. I like to be comfortable and eat good and the weight is not really a concern . In 2010 I strapped a sealed case of MRE's to the top of my pack and carried it up for my partner and I. But we drop all of our stuff at spike camp and only hunt with daypack type weights. If I had my camp on my back all day everyday then I would count the ounces.

dotman

WKR
I'm curius why you would carry something you don't "need"? That is exactly how you go from a pack weight of 45 lbs to a pack weight of 65 lbs.

Over the years I have been cutting all the things I don't actually NEED to take. By doing that I can go for five days of rifle hunting with a partner and have a minimum pack weight just over 30 lbs. That is really cutting though and not for everyone.

Just because I wouldn't take it doesn't matter, it must give him peace of mind to have triple water purification items and it is a minimal penalty. Again I only said if it gives him peace of mind.

Suggestions are great but in the end for a first time I would recommend keep questionable items, he'll know what works for him and what can be dropped off the list very quickly and it may not be what you or I pack or deem is needed. What works for me may not work for him.

TXCO

WKR
I dont think you need the iphone and charger if you have the spot and gps. You could even drop the camera battery. For self field photos, you cant do it on an iphone.

I never carried a gun unless in Grizz country. Thats obviously some weight.

I would get out and start packing/camping over the summer and you will figure out what you need and what you don't pretty quick. That's a good way to tune up your chow also.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been researching and buying new gear like crazy over the last couple of months and I think I've put together a pretty good list. My question is what is a good target weight for your pack and all your gear? For arguments sake let's say it's a 5 day hunt. Right now with all my gear I'll be wearing and everything in my pack including food for 5 days and 100 oz. of water I'm right at 65 pounds. So am I close to where I should be or do I need to try to trim more weight?

If you wanna give me a call we can look through those optics and go through your gear.

Let me know....

unm1136

WKR
I just packed for a three day turkey hunt. 76 pounds is WAYYY too heavy. :D. But that is my skin out weight, including my shotgun and clothing. Where I am going I have hunted before, and there are no creeks, streams, or spings. Those that are on the map are labeled seasonal, and I have never found one with water in it. So 25 pounds of that weight is water and assorted carrying containers. This will also be my first year backpack hunting, so NONE of my stuff is lightweight. I am prioritizing purchases for this year, and can pull 10-15 pounds off easy by dropping the Walmart Poly tarp for a Mega Tarp, a Backcountry Boiler for my Basecamp Steel Kelly Kettle, and getting rid of the not quite four pound synthetic Slumberjack sleeping bag. My camp sandals are heavy, too, and I will likely get a pair of Crocs for that. My GI Joe range finder is insanely heavy, too, for what it does.These changes right here will drop about 8 pounds. Re- packaging my food will help, too. Getting rid of the decoy and Primos ground blind will save another 2 pounds+.

One thing that I just learned this morning. every time I sit down and pack for a trip, I need to have a three day trip in mind. Once packed for that, I can add food for each additional day. That way I am not tempted into taking extra clothes, and other useless weight. The unit I got drawn in for deer this year has a few more streams and tanks, so my loadout for a five day deer hunt should be right at about 48-50 pounds.

pat

unm1136

WKR
Also, the EMR is not the pack choice of the ounce counters. When my kids get older I will give it to them and replace it with either a Bikini Highcamp or a Bikini DT1 and drop a couple of pounds that way.

pat