Target panic and the Silverback release

Don’t be too hard on yourself, better an arrow into the woods then into the guts of a doe like I managed. Stick with it and you’ll have this under control before you know it.

RC_

FNG
I was someone who could shoot great with an index release on targets, but after punching the trigger on two deer last fall and making marginal shots (both went down quick but I wasn't happy with how far from my aiming point I was missing and the fact that my shot routine completely fell apart with an animal in front of me) I picked up an resistance release a few months back. I have been using it exclusively and as others have said, there's a learning curve but I'm starting to see the light.

One thing I'll add for you or anyone else reading this, is make sure your bow is still fitted properly with the release and shooting technique. When I made the switch to a handheld release, I learned that my draw length was too short. Lengthening the draw aligned my upper body better and made pulling thru much easier and more consistent.

I would suggest going through the previous Noc On-School of Nocs training videos. When I got my silver back a few years ago, it revealed a lot of issues with my form and my draw length. All of those caused issues with the shot breaking properly, some times the release would go off as soon as the safety was off, part of time I couldn't get it to go off and some times it felt perfect. But the silver back brought all that to light and I'm a better shooter because of it.

Reactions: Zac
I had one that I really wanted to love, but it was causing more issues than it was helping. It would not release at the same pressure point, I checked it on a digital scale and it varied a bunch from various release points. There were times I would be hovering perfectly over the exact spot I was aiming at it would not go off, other times it would release well before I was ready.

The deal breaker for me was when I would be at full draw trying to dial a circle around the bullseye and I would relax too much, and the cam would grab ahold taking it away from me (for lack of better way to describe it) I would react and pull the string back to the original back-wall and the the release would activate sending the arrow down range. Fortunately the fence caught the ones that missed the target, but it cost me a few arrows in the process.

I sent that one back and got the nock on, but I still have issues with freezing below my aim point. I'm not sure how to deal with that at this point. Each round I will get all my arrows in a fist size group, but it seems like there's always one that hits 6" or so from where I am aiming. And when I say aiming I mean where I wanted to hit, I have to force the site pin that direction and pull when I think it will be there.

Last edited:
This thread made me buy a silverback! I’m bad at punching the trigger on bucks (does not so much). Been trying to watch the nock on videos but it’s gonna be tough to not touch my bow for 2-3 weeks. But I need to do something.

cured_ham

WKR
I used a silverback to get used to pulling through the shot. Shot it exclusively for 6 months. Got the good muscle memory installed and then used the Joel Turner info to build a good shot process. Mainly shooting my nock2it now.

Girlfriend has hijacked my silverback and is improving quite a bit with it.

Bwright

FNG
Agreed with most of the comments here. The tension will help, I carried a back tension and near identical thumb through the entire season.
I would use each depending on the situation. short shots with small holes got the thumb and longer stuff would be tension if needed.

i have a stan resistance release . i just cant find myself liking it i would much rather shot my hinge i feel like i get more target panic with the resistance then the hinge

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't bow hunt for three or four years because of target panic. I had all the issues mentioned here - drive by and unable to get the pin down to the bullseye were the two biggest. I battled this for years, reading/watching everything, trying different releases, all had no impact on my target panic. I tried a variety of index finger/trigger releases.

Two years ago I bought a Scott Longhorn Hex on whim mainly for a project to work on during the summer. It took a little while to learn how to use the release. I practiced some with a kids plastic recurve to learn to use the Hex. I can still remember my first surprise release. I can still remember the shock I felt when an arrow was released by pulling through the shot, not the trigger in my head. It was great. I have had a few minor setbacks since, but nothing major. I love shooting now.

I have been able to carry this into the field and have had success there too.

This is my long winded way of encouraging you to stick with it and stay confident. It will work.

Zac

WKR
Really the releases will be an asset to target panic but the only cure comes through conscious decision making. I would encourage anyone with target panic to research Joel Turner's methodology. Your going to find success there if you utilize his tried and true principles.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
Really the releases will be an asset to target panic but the only cure comes through conscious decision making. I would encourage anyone with target panic to research Joel Turner's methodology. Your going to find success there if you utilize his tried and true principles.

I'm sure you've forgotten more about target panic than I will ever know, probably archery in general. But for me the release was the only thing that worked. And I had tried everything I could find to address it. Maybe the result of using the release was a change in my conscious decision making, I have no idea.

All I know is I had target panic for 10 years, got a back tension release, and the target panic was gone almost immediately. I get a little leery hearing there is only one way to skin a cat.

Zac

WKR
I'm sure you've forgotten more about target panic than I will ever know, probably archery in general. But for me the release was the only thing that worked. And I had tried everything I could find to address it. Maybe the result of using the release was a change in my conscious decision making, I have no idea.

All I know is I had target panic for 10 years, got a back tension release, and the target panic was gone almost immediately. I get a little leery hearing there is only one way to skin a cat.
There are thousands of people that have overcome target panic with Turners curriculum. I say this due to the fact that he mostly helps law enforcement agencies that are shooting triggered firearms, not just tension based releases. With a correct shot routine that emphasizes individual steps. A person can learn to activate any type of release or trigger system with control.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
A Hinge release is "back tension," and a great way to work on target panic. Tru Ball Sweet spot flex is a good release to learn with. Then you can move to a silverback/nock2it type release, which are "resistance" releases, not back tension.

I have also found that switching from an index release to a back tension/tension style release helped tremendously when I was going through a episode of target panic. I still switch releases every now and then to keep things different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casey F

FNG
I used a silverback to get used to pulling through the shot. Shot it exclusively for 6 months. Got the good muscle memory installed and then used the Joel Turner info to build a good shot process. Mainly shooting my nock2it now.

Girlfriend has hijacked my silverback and is improving quite a bit with it.
would you say silverback cured your TP? I would like to use the silverback as much as possible but for stand hunting whitetails idk how that angle would mess with the shot, otherwise id like to use a thumb

cured_ham

WKR
would you say silverback cured your TP? I would like to use the silverback as much as possible but for stand hunting whitetails idk how that angle would mess with the shot, otherwise id like to use a thumb
Not really

It just makes you focus on the mechanic of breaking the shot rather than the pin movement. Once I consciously started focusing on activating the release I can shoot pretty much any release without worrying about target panic. It definitely can help if you have target panic because it makes it harder for you fire it off on command, but for me the thing that made my TP go away was focusing on activating my release.

For example, when I shoot my button now I focus on pulling with my pinky and pushing the bow forward. When I focus on that I am not paying attention to my pin so it does not really bother me that it bounces around the dot.

Marble

WKR
I’m working through it now. Got a tension release and it’s taking some time but I’m seeing the light and much improved shooting. I was shooting a bunch, trying hard to get perfect groups first with a wrist release, then a thumb button. I shot well but my pin would freeze below the spot, just couldn’t get in it. This caused me to anticipate, raise up and fire as you went type crap. I am now comfortable with the float, steady back tension and somewhere in there it goes off. Happy shooting again. Don’t see myself going back, recommend it.
When you're pin freezes up like that, think about what you are looking at. Most of the time it is because you are looking at your pin instead of looking at the target. Look where you want to be, not where you're at.

It's a very common thing.

Can’t speak about the silverback release but I switched to a hinge about a year ago and it completely retaught me how to properly execute a shot. I shoot a thumb button primarily, as I have found it to be more accurate for me. The interesting thing is though, the thought of punching one off never comes to mind at full draw. I just think about slowly making a fist and pulling. Works very well. I would say make a commitment to that silverback or a hinge and stick with it for months on end. I shot a hinge exclusively for about 4 months and that seemed to do the trick for me. It will be easy to get discouraged as you will probably get worse before you get better.

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I used a silverback and really helped me, and I now shoot a hinge. Sounds to me like you need more than the silverback. I would really consider getting Joel Turners Shot IQ. That is what really helped me. I think you need to work on your shot process more than anything. Look up some of his stuff on YouTube.