Target panic + flinch

So i got into archery years ago after having a rifle blow up in my hands from a bad reload my uncle gave me. That incident gave me one hell of a violent flinch and pretty much turned me off of shooting rifles altogether -i can shoot shotguns and pistols without much of a problem however.

Lately i have been having a bit of target panic set in, and to combat this i decided to take the plunge and learn how to shoot with back tension, so I got a truball ht3. I soon found out that that thing's "click" makes me want to jump out of my skin.
But it does take away my target panic for the most part as i think not having total control over the moment of release really messes with the bad habits i have developed. At first I hated this release but now I realize it makes me really think about my form instead of just smacking the trigger when the pin covers the vitals.
But then there is that dreaded "click" i have gotten to the point where all it does is make me blink, and then I fully relax for the shot, so I am getting better, even if i do feel slight anxiety before it clicks.

So what im wondering is should I leave the clicker in hopes of getting over my flinch and target panic eventually or am I just asking for a royal mind phuck meltdown later on?
Speculation appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tilzbow

WKR
Bro, I've had TP really bad and I can understand the click issue as it freaked me out! That said the click on the BT release bothered me when I had TP and before I learned how to really shoot back tension. I can't say it would still bother me still now that I've overcome this dreaded disease since I haven't shot that type of release since it "went off" on me a few years ago. Long story short I had the TP with a recurve, tried a compound with good success and eventually developed TP with the wheel bow. A few years ago I read and practiced the processes in a book titled "Idiot Proof Archery" and it changed my archery life. I think this book would be a real good place for you to start...

4ester

WKR
I recommend flipping over your moon so you don't hear the click. I have target panic in the worst way, and anything you can do to keep you from anticipating the shot will help.

elkguide

WKR
This may sound strange but I'd start by shooting a .22 caliber rifle. I think that your TP and click nervousness are connected.

Haven't had a rifle blow up but have had two bows blow up at full draw. Talk about TP and lots of hesitation nervousness!!!!!

I spent lots of time just drawing and letting down. After a lot of that I began to draw and just randomly touch my release and then draw a bunch more and once again randomly send the arrow down range. There are loads of TP regimens to try from blind bailing and so on but the random release method worked for me.

kicker338

WKR
Went threw this too, what got me out of it was just shooting lots of arrows, not for accuracy, just hitting the target. Practicing good form and not trying to group arrows at all. After doing this for a while, I started to concentrate a little at a time tighting up my groups, it worked for me. Another thing I saw Levi Morgan describe is put ,say a 12" circle on your target, start at 20yds, only trying to keep your arrows inside the circle. Don't try to group them in the middle of the circle, just inside it. After you can doo that with very little or no effort, reduce it to an 11" one. Same routine as the 12" one, repeat this till your at 2". It's based on the concept of learing to let your pin float instead of trying to point it at a spot then jerking the trigger.

Beendare

WKR
Everyone I know that has shot archery for a long time has had to deal with TP.

First step is to recognize what it is.....essentially your brain is conditioned to and anticipating the shot.

Treatment is to break that anticipation...many different strategies. I shoot blank bale....and with a firearm do a lot of dryfire. TP is something that can creep up on you....many of the punchers out there don't even know they have it. I've got friends that can't hold on target they had it so bad....and a buddy that pulled an arrow almost off of a broadside elk at 20 yds.....

IMO, Its something every archer/shooter should put into their practice routine...a strategy to prevent that anticipation.

Edit; Those trigger finger releases are famous for making it easy to start shooting archery right out of the gate....but then easier to get TP too.

Last edited:
TP is a pain, I get it every few years.

For the most part, I've never agreed with going to BT handheld releases unless you plan on sticking to them. What about when you go back to your wrist strap?

Learn to shoot BT with your wrist strap release and practice a good repeatable form. Also, consider the release you are currently using, crappy or heavy triggers tend to lead to TP as well.

Well you already identified a source of the issue, get rd if the friggin clicker. It was a catastrophic event locked in your mellon and now you have full blown PTFE disorder. Post Traumatic Firearm Explosion disorder. The clicker is NOT helpin you at all. Get rid of it.

I will second thoughts on "Idiot Proof Archery" not only did I enjoy the read, it is excellent references and things you can do to identify the problem. I got that book about 4 years ago and read it twice, changed my approach to archery, mental and physical, form, shooting, shot cycle and most importantly my accuracy went WAY WAY up.

Now I totally enjoy shooting my bow and get into some sort of zen like blank grey mind state when shooting, I find it very relaxing and almost therapeutic in a way.

Main thing with TP is to recognize the cause, its mainly a subconscious to conscious short circuit of your mind in your shot cycle. IPA book takes you through the how, why, when it happens and how to fix it.

I did change to a NO TRAVEL trigger release, (spot Hog wise guy) 2 yrs ago and it also helped my scores, shooting form, and shooting accuracy go way up. I just bought another one last week as a back up just in case something happens to the old one.

Do yourself a favor and get that book, Read it, learn it, live it. It will change your mental aspect and help with your issues.

Flip the moon. Having target panic is such a mental sticking point so anything you are able to do to alleviate the mental parts the better.

By taking the clicker out (flipping it) you can now take away one mental aspect.

You load your arrow, attach your release, draw and start pulling through your shot.

I'd recommend shooting the blank wall or target first to get used to the motions with the click.

With that click on there your brain can easily kick In and start to over ride your muscles and lock you up.

If it isn't there, as you settle in you now state at the x and pull through your shot until...surprise the arrow goes.

No audible click, no audible trigger to anticipate the shot.

Exactly, what Montanated said, You first remove the trigger, causing the trigger in the brain, that triggers the TP response. Then you work on the shot process to get a solid shot process down leaving no room for TP to creep back in.
Also, there aint no shame in letting down! No-one ever said or wrote the you HAVE to shoot every arrow you draw. Shooting it is just the easy way out on a bad or flawed shot process going on. Im guilty of that myself from time to time. :rolleyes: