Tell me what’s wrong

with my grip, form, anchor point, draw length, or anything else you see. Somewhat new to archery and I’m getting set up for whitetail season in October. I set up the ol gopro and decided to take a few pictures while I shot. I just purchased a Stan C which I’m shooting with in the picture and this is the third day shooting with it coming from a wise guy release. It’s different but I feel like my hand placement is somewhat wrong and my draw length is probably a bit too long. It’s different coming from a wrist strap to a thumb for the first time but I can shoot it well when I pull through it and not command it to go off. Anyways let me know what yall see wrong. Thanks!

Attachments

• 66905543-34A6-465E-86FD-4CDD4878DE21.jpeg
    66905543-34A6-465E-86FD-4CDD4878DE21.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 111

Marble

WKR
Before I read everything, it does look about 1/2" too long. Shortening may give you some more room to rotate your hand a little bit clockwise. It's hard to say, for me, what your hand position should be from one look. It is somewhat subjective.

I would suggest John Dudleys school of nock on YouTube. It's very helpful.

Imagine putting your back elbow in line with your front hand. Pull straight back while aiming with the thought of touching your elbow to your butt. Raising that back arm to get your elbow up can help with that.

Experiment a little bit. Maybe you like, maybe not.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I am no coach or pro, but your left shoulder looks like its collapsed a touch. Should feel like you're pushing the bow toward the target. Left elbow a little more relaxed. Forearm should feel relaxed on the left arm as well. Draw is probably 1" to long. Mathews are typically in that 1/2'' long category anyway (29" mod draws 29.5' as example). I like to see the apex of the V in the string at the middle to back of my eye and not beyond. This keeps the string at my nose tip and the fletches clear of my face and allows me the most leverage to properly pull through a shot.

Agree with draw length and also I would turn your release hand closer to 45 degrees of your face. It’s more like 80 in this picture

Marble

WKR
5’11 and it’s at 29”. Good observation. What do you think shorten .5” or a 1”?
I would try both. You're right in the bubble of 28.5 at that height. There are variables. But it should be close.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Others have mentioned the draw length. I will add that, from that picture, I see a lot more palm turned into the grip of your bow than I would generally recommend. I’d try turning the hand out slightly so that the grip runs through the meaty portion of your hand more so than the middle/palm.

cope, take a tape measure, hold your bow arm out normal, measure from the center of your palm to the center of your chest. this should get you pretty close to your actual draw length. do not reach or stretch your arm.
also, bow elbow out not down. use your wrist to turn the bow. relax your body, there should be no tension in your muscles. don't worry about your release hand, that comes after and should fall in place once everything else is correct.

OP
C
Ended up switching to 28” mods. It definitely feels way better now but I can’t find to do with my grip lol.