Looking at buying a new tent
For the 2021 season. I am leaning towards a teepee
Type 2 man for colorado
Rifle seasons. I would appreciate any recommendations or
Advice yall can offer.
Thanks i advance

mwebs

WKR
How many people you want to fit in it? 3 man tipi for two guys, gear and stove is nice. Wouldn’t want a two man..

GPool1842

WKR
Check out the Kifaru Sawtooth with the stove. Used it for two with gear many times and it’s great. It’s light enough that you can pack it in and split the poles/tarp/stove between both hunters.

OP
I
It will basically be for base camp. Thanks for the info
Will sure check em out.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I have a seek outside little bug out and they claim 2 man, but if hunting late season with a partner I would look into the cimarron and find a good stick on the mountain to use as your center pole to save some weight, unless you're sheep hunting. cimarron It's still geared towards backpacking though. The Lbo is pretty tight for two guys if going for more than 2 nights imo. Considering condensation and if you want to use a titanium stove plus store your gear in there with you if you get pinned in a storm, it can get tight for 2 full figured guys. AKtroutbum has tried alot of things and really likes his current setup if you want to go floorless, i would pm him. if you are base camping near a truck you can take whatever heavy tent you want. Comfort is key if near a truck or 4 wheeler. I like a wall tent and stove for a base camp if i don't have to carry it. If backpack hunting extreme weather on open ridgetops, the Hilleburg lineup is trustworthy too. Good Luck

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw that you specified "basecamp". My basecamps are always as big and comfortable as possible in the late season. Sometimes that's what keeps me out there longer. Stove, chairs, table, real food, good cooktop, which is why I like a wall tent for the extra space, but you won't be carrying it anywhere without horses or a 4 wheeler. Especially if you have a big conduit frame

rayporter

WKR
listen to the guys trying to steer you towards a larger shelter for a base.

i use a 12 man now and have owned 2 different 8 man tipis.

to get some understanding of size build a mock up around a pole or post by using string or rope out tied to stakes to replicate the diameter of the tipi.

Wapiti1

WKR
For a basecamp that Davis may be the ticket. Wall tents are really nice for internal space. Tipi's are good, but you lose space when you use cots or tables in there with the sloped walls. I'd go 6 man minimum for a basecamp tent if I were buying again.

Jeremy

nphunter

WKR

That is a great tent for a car camp. It will fit 3 cots comfortably and 2 cots and a pile of gear and make a great all hang out spot. It has built-in LED lights as well. We used that tent for two weeks last archery season, 1-week antelope hunting, and several camping trips. It rode through a nasty storm last fall, it rained enough to break the steel frame on my buddies pop up shade and didn't leak a drop.

It really depends on a lot of factors, how much time do you plan on spending inside? Do you want or need a stove? Are you OK with floorless?

Seek outside make good tents but not good base camp tents IMO, especially for the price. I have a little bug out BTB and it's a great tent, It has a 8' by 15' area in it and can easily sleep 4 with a stove and 6 without. The problem with it is you can't stand up and walk around in it and if you get any weather it sucks because of that. It's made for backpacking in and it's great for that.

I also have two wall tents, they are awesome if you know 100% sure where you want to camp and how long you plan to stay. It sucks to set up a wall tent and then realize the spot you put it sucks and you have to break camp and move. They are by far the most comfortable, especially with a good wood or oil burner going in them during late elk season. I grew up hunting out of wall tents and they defiantly have the nostalgia and I can think of very few places I'd rather sleep than on a cot with a sleeping pad and a big old heavy Coleman canvas sleeping bag next to a warm fire when it's snowing outside!!

CAMP.jpg

Motels are also a good option for late hunts if you don't plan on doing them often. I have done some late hunts solo or with my kids where I have just traveled back and forth from a motel instead of setting up camp. I really like this approach for late season hunts since there is so much night time that time of year.

cnelk

WKR
A few years ago I had Davis Tent build me a custom 10x12 tent.

I went with 32” walls. This way I could sit on my cot, and my head just cleared the roof.

I can still stand up in the center (I’m 5’8”) and the lower walls and peak helps keep the warm air from the stove lower in the tent.

I also had them put the stove Jack in a specific place since I built a custom sized stove.

I made my own internal frame using top rail pieces of chain link fencing.

I also cut dead trees for an A Frame when I pack in and stash them to use year after year.

Can’t go wrong with a wall tent - especially a @Davis Tent 0BF4B5EB-1B3C-4476-9EF5-1F937800C983.jpeg899A5922-C2FE-4B27-92ED-1777643EDD73.jpeg

A tarp serves a purpose every day not just when it rains. If you don’t use one eventually you’ll get pinholes from hot embers that cool when they leave the stove pipe and fall onto the canvas.

I have shorter 4 foot walls on my spike tent because weight is an issue packing it in and out. But my base camp tent has 5 footers. You can walk anywhere inside once the cots are against the walls and we hang clothes from the internal frame to dry. I wouldn’t want them hanging down to my cot. I just sold my 10x12 and went to a 14x16. Now we have a 6 foot dining table in the center and an inside shower in the front corner opposite the wood stove. My tarp extends 7 feet out the front for a porch. The grill is under that as well as the firewood. No more tarping the wood and no more mud right at the front door. Can’t wait to spend 3 weeks in it this year!

I get mine from the Wall Tent Shop in Idaho. Their tents are the best I’ve found and shipping is free.

crich

WKR
Unless you're setup is super dialed and you're doing lightweight backpack hunting, go bigger than what you think you can get by with. For basecamp use id go with a wall like others have mentioned. If you think you might spike camp with it look at the sawtooth/redcliffe type options.

Tipi tents are like gun safes when it comes to capacity so plan accordingly.