Davis Go Tent experience question

OlPappyB

FNG
Looking to buy a Davis Go Tent, but I can't decide on the traditional pole system or buying the angle kit and cutting my own poles. Buddy of mine and I usually deal with some serious weather like heavy rain, snow, hail and winds 40-50 mph at times. I'm wondering if anybody has experience or insight to using the traditional pole system and how the tent held up during high winds? I'm leaning towards the angle kit frame but any advice from experience would be greatly appreciated.

HuntWyld

WKR
I’ve used mine a bunch for hunting and guiding in all types of weather. The sewn in floor is something I probably would not have ordered if it weren’t for clients but now I couldn’t imagine not having one. The pole system the go tent comes with is not a standard pole system the whole thing goes up in less than 10 minutes I would definitely buy it with the pole system. I've ran lots of traditional wall tents in the backcountry with “you cut” poles comparing that to the system they created around the go tent is a no brainer.

Calcoyote

FNG
First of all I would suggest you call Taylor at Davis. He is the one that has worked with the Go Tent the most and could answer that question the best. I have the traditional pole system because when I bought mine they did not offer the angle kit setup for the Go Tent. Here are my thoughts:

With regard to high winds the following factors will in my opinion make more difference than which pole system you choose:
  • The 36 inch side wall will be your friend in high winds. The taller the side wall the more wind it catches. The lower sidewall is better in the wind in my opinion.
  • The most important thing is to have your tent setup at the correct angle so the wind is not broadsiding your tent. This can be tricky since sometimes the direction of the wind can change during the night.
  • If you are using a tarp on the roof, I would NOT have too long of an overhang. Extra tarp overhanging can catch wind.
  • A front awning sure is nice, but it can catch wind and cause you grief. I do not use a front awning on mine.
With regard to the snow load I would think the internal frame "might" be stronger (but I would confirm that with Taylor at Davis). If you wanted to go crazy with it you could even order some extra angles and add an additional rafter. I did this with my Davis 12x14. I am sure that it is stronger and more sturdy, but to be honest I probably will never use it in those conditions. I am a sissy about stuff like that. Since I usually hunt by myself I fear that I will get snowed in and not be able to get my 4wd Tacoma out. I know of guys that have got stuck and had to hike out and leave everything behind. If the forecast is for heavy snow, I camp at a lower elevation.

One last thought: If you are wanting a sewn in floor, you would need to confirm with Davis if the internal frame kit will work with a sewn in floor. As I recall, their larger tents if you want a sewn in floor they strongly recommend a traditional pole setup.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
O

OlPappyB

FNG
I’ve used mine a bunch for hunting and guiding in all types of weather. The sewn in floor is something I probably would not have ordered if it weren’t for clients but now I couldn’t imagine not having one. The pole system the go tent comes with is not a standard pole system the whole thing goes up in less than 10 minutes I would definitely buy it with the pole system. I've ran lots of traditional wall tents in the backcountry with “you cut” poles comparing that to the system they created around the go tent is a no brainer.
I was planning on going with no floor and if I did the angle kit, I would get 1" Conduit poles for the internal frame. Just wasn't sure how well the traditional pole system holds up in rough weather. I'm just concerned about the 1 pole in the middle of the door and 1 in the back.

OP
O

OlPappyB

FNG
First of all I would suggest you call Taylor at Davis. He is the one that has worked with the Go Tent the most and could answer that question the best. I have the traditional pole system because when I bought mine they did not offer the angle kit setup for the Go Tent. Here are my thoughts:

With regard to high winds the following factors will in my opinion make more difference than which pole system you choose:
  • The 36 inch side wall will be your friend in high winds. The taller the side wall the more wind it catches. The lower sidewall is better in the wind in my opinion.
  • The most important thing is to have your tent setup at the correct angle so the wind is not broadsiding your tent. This can be tricky since sometimes the direction of the wind can change during the night.
  • If you are using a tarp on the roof, I would NOT have too long of an overhang. Extra tarp overhanging can catch wind.
  • A front awning sure is nice, but it can catch wind and cause you grief. I do not use a front awning on mine.
With regard to the snow load I would think the internal frame "might" be stronger (but I would confirm that with Taylor at Davis). If you wanted to go crazy with it you could even order some extra angles and add an additional rafter. I did this with my Davis 12x14. I am sure that it is stronger and more sturdy, but to be honest I probably will never use it in those conditions. I am a sissy about stuff like that. Since I usually hunt by myself I fear that I will get snowed in and not be able to get my 4wd Tacoma out. I know of guys that have got stuck and had to hike out and leave everything behind. If the forecast is for heavy snow, I camp at a lower elevation.

One last thought: If you are wanting a sewn in floor, you would need to confirm with Davis if the internal frame kit will work with a sewn in floor. As I recall, their larger tents if you want a sewn in floor they strongly recommend a traditional pole setup.

Just my thoughts.
Thank you for the insight. Yea the storms we run into can get pretty nasty. The 36" sidewalls I would think would help shed some wind. I was planning on going with no floor and if I did the angle kit, I would get 1" Conduit poles for the internal frame. Just wasn't sure how well the traditional pole system holds up in rough weather. I'm just concerned about the 1 pole in the middle of the door and 1 in the back with no real support along the sides.

OP
O

OlPappyB

FNG
The traditional poles will be stronger in all regards and in all weather.
I'd get 1" conduit poles for the internal frame. Just concerned if the did the traditional pole system how it would hold up being 1 pole in the doorway and 1 in the back. Wondering about the lack of support along the sidewalls.

sndmn11

WKR
I'd get 1" conduit poles for the internal frame. Just concerned if the did the traditional pole system how it would hold up being 1 pole in the doorway and 1 in the back. Wondering about the lack of support along the sidewalls.
Tpoles would hold up better than a frame in all weather. The sidewalls have more support with tpoles than a frame.