Tent recommendation

Scarney19

FNG
I’m looking for a new 1 person tent for this years September elk season. Usually I setup a base camp and run a Cimmaron, but this year I need something smaller and lighter. I will be on the move and want something with a smaller footprint. I’m not a bivy sack type of guy. What do you all recommend? I’ve looked at the Kuiu summit star 1p and the Seek Outside Silex.

Good Day,

I’m not sure what you’re willing to spend. But the REI Co-Op or the Mountainsmith Lichen Peak 1P Tent with Footprint. Those are both from REI, the Lichen Peak was discontinued so it’s on sale until they are gone. I have the North Face storm breaker i don’t have anything bad to say about it “it’s my stay under the seat in truck tent”. If you wanted to spend a bit more theres Stone Glacier or Hilleberg. I have the NAMMAT! 3 GT from Hilleberg it’s my favorite tent for hunting but it’s a 3 person not a solo tent. I also have the REI CO-OP 3 person but I use that for more for non hunting camping just in case it gets broken. Then I don’t have to scramble to get a tent. If you’re willing to throw down the cash I would get a Hilleberg if you just want a tent that’s good but not the left kidney. The north Face is great. I wrote a novel so sorry.

Sky ULT 1 may be a good choice...
But, there are other factors. What type of terrain/weather are you expecting? Different regions have different variables.
I have spent September hunting, from under a trap, Big Agnes 1p tent, Hilleberg Nallo 2p, kuiu mountain star etc. Weather and terrain will dictate the responses and suggestions you get.

Last edited:
Eureka Solitaire is the perfect setup for a September solo elk hunt. More than a simple bivouac "tent". Very light weight. Three season dependability. Very inexpensive.

I've played the sleep under a tarp game, when WX is ideal, works fine.

I've played the fancier structure tarp game MSR Twin Peaks/Mountainsmith LT. Again, when WX is good, works fine.

I like some room. I like simple. I like double wall. I like flexibility. And I like robust. I really like lightweight, but don't want to sacrifice a lot of comfort if I decide to sit out the WX one day (all day rain storms at least 1-2 days a season) for a few ounces weight savings.

Saving my pennies now for a Tarptent Scarp 1. Checks a lot of boxes for me.

Check out the Tarptent Moment DW. I have the Tarptent Double Rainbow DW but it’s a 2 person.

Scrappy

WKR
I tried several over several seasons. Should have gotten the big Agnes copper spur UL2 in the first place and saved a bunch of money. It checks almost all the box's well. I would never go back to a one person tent either. The little weight and space savings just isn't worth it for.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Just don’t give your money to REI. I run a Kifaru supertarp but I wouldn’t call the footprint “small”

Southfork

FNG
I started running a Seek Outside Guardian last year. I was a little apprehensive about switching tent styles at first because I had ran free standing tents for so many years. But after using it for a season, I have to say I am very impressed. I was layed up in it for two days straight during elk season last year during heavy rains and it never leaked a drop of water. It’s marketed at a two man shelter, but I found it was perfect for just myself and my gear. I opted for the nest. Even with the nest, it’s still lighter than my old tent.

TaperPin

WKR
A one person tent will shave a little over a pound, maybe one and a half, from what a two person tent weighs, but personally the small size is a deal breaker unless you have perfect weather.

Twice I’ve been on September backcountry trips with scattered rain in the forecast that became solid rain for much of the time - heavy enough the only option was hunkering down for for days at a time. It’s nearly impossible to keep the interior dry going in and out of a tent regardless of your type of rain gear. You do go stircrazy and read the tags on every piece of clothing - a pocket-size book would have been worth the price of a new rifle.

A vestibule large enough to get a pack under and to put muddy boots out of the weather and good ventilation to shed interior condensation is a godsend - otherwise it greatly complicates accessing and keeping important things dry. Inside its nice to have room to separate wet clothes and at least dry damp clothes without everything being in contact with the sleeping bag. Rocky mountain rain can quickly turn to sleet or snow - getting wet items to damp and keeping damp items from getting worse is vital if you packed with minimal warm clothes.

The Timberlite 2 was a little over 5 lbs and shed wind and weather like a 3-1/2 season tent, but unfortunately is no longer made. Most good quality wind and weather shedding 2 person designs are at least 5-1/2 lbs if they have a decent vestibule - nothing on the market stands out.

The Kuiu 2 person isn’t bad - it is light, but vestibules are minimal and interior room is more square and low than is ideal for solo use. It does have a good wind shedding shape and the carbon fiber poles are nice if they hold up. Keeping the exterior waterproof must be quite a bit harder with the exposed pole attachments - the best tents from super light to expedition style have had a simple smooth rain fly and it will be interesting if this departure holds up in the long run.

I really like my silex, but don't have any experience with anything else in the lightweight world.

If looking for a small footprint i would go with a free standing 1 person like the Copper Spur or to have a little extra wiggle room go for the 2 person Copper Spur. Otherwise some of the other tents people have mentioned will work. The Cimarron is nice but has a large foot print especially for just a single person.

sivart

WKR
another vote for the copper spur. The freestanding tent is too convenient. can pitch anywhere. worth the extra weight to me. I also own the Durston pro 2, and I seem to always grab the copper spur.