Tent stoves opinions

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanting to get some opinions on stoves for my seek outside cimmaron, been running the tent 8 years and figured it’s time to get a stove to go with it.
Almost pulled the trigger on the seek u turn a few times but I have also looked into kifaru, winter well fast fold seems nice for the speed of setting up.
Trying to see what every one recommends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For ease of setup get the winner well. If counting ounces then one of the other options available. One caveat if you don’t like tinkering and or will always be in snow the winner well is the winner.

11boo

WKR
The roll up chimney will cut you like a knife. I have the seek XL for my 8 man, obvi you would go smaller. The seek is well made for sure and works. Pack some spare 1/4-20 wing nuts, or whatever size yours takes.

IMG_4139.jpeg

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
I have the medium u-turn for my cimarron. Works fine but I struggle with the set up, i.e. connecting top to bottom with the foil sides. I've not had hands on the standard, but wonder if it is easier to put together. I use the stove when truck camping and rafting, so weight really isn't that important.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I have the medium u-turn for my cimarron. Works fine but I struggle with the set up, i.e. connecting top to bottom with the foil sides. I've not had hands on the standard, but wonder if it is easier to put together. I use the stove when truck camping and rafting, so weight really isn't that important.

We had same issue with the u turn and same thoughts as you. Also we were hoping it got easier the more you burn it in

Poser

WKR
I have a 18 inch Lite Outdoors cylinder with a baffle that I use in a Cimarron. My experience is that all titanium stoves are janky as hell and usually require excessive amounts of cussing to get setup. Last time I used one, I got so frustrated trying to get the baffle to behave that I ended up kicking the whole damn thing…. and I was 100% justified and it felt good.

Deadfall

WKR
I run kifaru box. Only little stove I've ever used, so no advice on which one to get. Mine works fine. As said above they janky. Not one time have I regreted having it. especially after years of not having one in wet or cold places.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 18 inch Lite Outdoors cylinder with a baffle that I use in a Cimarron. My experience is that all titanium stoves are janky as hell and usually require excessive amounts of cussing to get setup. Last time I used one, I got so frustrated trying to get the baffle to behave that I ended up kicking the whole damn thing…. and I was 100% justified and it felt good.

Way too funny. I like the 'require excessive amounts of cussing'.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My SO XL has worked great. Pretty quick setup and once you figure it out it will burn 3 or so hours before going out.

id450

WKR
I have a argali skyline Ti that I just pre ordered today. They are supposed to be in late august.

id450

WKR
so are all these stoves made of titanium? Any issues with them burning through?

From what I can tell warping is the issue as opposed to burn through. The argali supposedly fixed the warping with the stamping on the sides to increase the structural integrity. I’ll be interested to hear what experienced stove users say.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From what I can tell warping is the issue as opposed to burn through. The argali supposedly fixed the warping with the stamping on the sides to increase the structural integrity. I’ll be interested to hear what experienced stove users say.

You are absolutely right. Burn through isnt an issue with titanium, but warping is. The stamping on our stoves will help significantly with warping but won't completely solve the issue. It will happen to any titanium stove over time with use.

LionHead

WKR
Ive run a SO large stove in a redcliff and cimmaron and it works well for both.

It's about a perfect match to the recliff at about 8lbs for the combo.

I had thought to get a medium stove for the cimmaron (approx 5lbs combo), to make the weight savings significant enough to justify losing stand up capability, but in the end I sold the large and cimmaron to a buddy and purchased the Winnerwell fast fold stove instead.

The fast fold is, well, fast and the size is comparable to an SO large stove, although it adds about a pound to the combo (approx 9lbs with redcliff).Set up time is much quicker and less finnicky with no small parts to lose. The down side to the fast fold would be that there is no way to field repair the legs if broken.

I have not used the collapsible cylinder type stoves or the I-turn, but both appear very finnicky with the Ti sheeting and I would probably not enjoy assembling them. Anything more complex than a Seek outside or Kifaru type box stove and I would probably throw an adult tantrum and break the forest.

I would have no issues going back to a SO large stove if something catastrophic happened to the fast-fold. But for now the ease of set up appeals to my need to be lazy and at the end of a long hike.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: