Tent Suggestions for Brooks Range

Jimss

WKR
I certainly wouldn't want to be cooped up in one of those tiny 1 man tents for several days if the weather is nasty! It's obviously nice packing an ultralight, small volume tent but it comes at a price. On extended trips it's always nice having a vestibule that's large enough for cooking plus gear....and drying clothes/equipment! We usually split poles, tent, etc between 2 of us to compensate the weight and bulk of a larger, bomber-proof tent with oversized vestibule. To me it's definitely worth it!

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
I'd like to respectfully disagree with you about this, but also I'm biased. ;)

What would you recommend for high winds, good length and height being 6’4”, preferably side entrance and quick set up in a storm?

I have a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter that sets up with trekking poles which isn’t ideal when you need them during the day, so would like to avoid having to pack extra poles or breaking down the tent when not necessary.

Like the looks of lots of your tents but have just struggled to find right balance of attributes, but haven’t picked through them too much!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR

Dang that’s a good deal! Might pick one up just to try.

Only review that scared me was a 5’9” tester with feet rubbing on fly on end. I’m 6’4”

Any guys that tried it out give me an idea on if it’s going to be a wet bag nightmare? I was fine in that regard in the fly creek 2.

Not too afraid of putting my rain gear over the foot box

My buddy at 5’10” didn’t have any issues but that probably doesn’t help you out much at your height. For that price, it might be worth it just to pick one up and give it a try. If it didn’t work for you it probably wouldn’t be too difficult to unload it for a very minimal, if any, money loss.
However, I’ll stick to my initial thought of, I think you should take a hard look at a mid style shelter and bivy.

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
My buddy at 5’10” didn’t have any issues but that probably doesn’t help you out much at your height. For that price, it might be worth it just to pick one up and give it a try. If it didn’t work for you it probably wouldn’t be too difficult to unload it for a very minimal, if any, money loss.
However, I’ll stick to my initial thought of, I think you should take a hard look at a mid style shelter and bivy.

Looks like those $150 forays are gone.

Took a look at the duo mid. Like the idea, somewhat similar to my go Lite sl5. Where we were at the bugs were terrible last year and not having anywhere to get out of them might drive me crazy. I do already have a Borah bivy but might have to do some noodling on a nest.

superA

WKR
I am looking very hard at a mld trailstar along with the inner net. It looks to be extremely flexible and very light weight.

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
After thinking and researching this probably way to much, I went with the Hille Niak with a few discounts and selling off 500$ of excess gear quick to keep the wife happy

Time will tell, but for me just seemed to check all the boxes I was looking for.

Able to set up with fly already attached
Should be good for my height
Quick and simple set up
Side entrance
Totally bug proof area to relax at night and read, change clothes etc.
Stout
But still under 4#

Very very pricey but should last a long time and just seemed the best fit. I have gone through the process of try to save some money and not ending up with what I really knew I wanted right away too many times over the last 15 years of backpacking and hunting to know that usually ends up costing more in the long run that just saving up and getting it right the first time.

A shelter for use in the Brooks Range just seems like a good thing to use the buy once cry once motto

My buddies Brooks Range Foray did considerably better in the same storm that flattened my Fly Creek.
b860e74d38522e87d5c96f199aa89123.jpg

If you’re set on a light wt. traditional free standing tent, that Foray might just be the ticket. I think it’s pretty much the same square footage as the Fly Creek, give or take, and only weighs a few ounces more but is considerably stronger. It’s also reasonably priced.

If it were me though, I’d go with a UL floorless mid and UL bivy. You could get something with tons of room, in an ultralight package, that will handle wind as good or better than just about anything out there.

Hello,
What ivy will you recommend?

Hello,
What ivy will you recommend?

Assuming you meant bivy, I’ve been using a 6 oz. Borah gear and a 6oz. Titanium Goat for several years now, but I sold the Ti Goat bivy a few months ago and have since bought a couple cuben fiber bivy’s (Borah Gear and Zpacks), but I haven’t had the opportunity to use them yet.