Tent vs hammock

I have come to the conclusion that there is no singular, ideal sleeping setup for a wide variety of applications.

Bivy sack? Yes. I own 3. In some situations, it’s the best and even only way to go.

Tarp tent? Yes. I own 3. A 2 man and two 1 man setups.

Hot tent: yes.

Conventional tents? Have several. Haven’t used any in a good while, but they have their place.

Hammock: I’d definitely have a setup as a option if I weren’t a stomach sleeper.
I agree wholeheartedly with this post. The trick is for guys to gain the experience to know which setup they prefer for which situation. That takes both time in the woods and money spent on various shelter systems but it is the reality.

My sleeping style is not conducive to hammocks and plus hammocks are way colder due to drafts, but just depends on your own personal style

That’s not true at all. I take hammocks down to colder temperatures in deeper snow than I ever can with tents. This is from someone who camps 50 nights a year minimum. You can dig a trench in the snow and nestle your hammock in there perfectly for extra wind protection from drafts. Not to mention I have been in some severe winds and insane thunderstorms in a hammock and not only have never had an issue, but prefer them over tents because they never get flooded. Regardless, saying something like “hammocks are way colder due to drafts” is blatantly wrong. If you’re cold in a hammock, you just don’t know what you’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hammock camp when solo using my own DIY gear. I tent camp if its from a car with the family. Hammocks are much more comfortable, even more so than a cot.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Warbonnet makes a nice selection of hammocks. I have the ridgerunner, and while the spreader bars add a little bit of weight there is absolutely zero fiddle factor. Make sure to purchase one of the several under quilts specifically made for the ridge runner and you will never have to worry about a drafty night in the Hammock. If it’s not windy I will usually set up the tarp in porch mode if there is a little bit of a view, and the DIY poles on top of the tarp are not necessary, but they do make it a little more spacious underneath.
D2670805-579A-41E8-8059-4F676E11D22A.jpeg

Last edited:
Few weeks ago. My brother wanted to see what my love of hammocks was like so he used my old back up kit. Was down to 36* over night and I had to vent my foot box on my top quilt to not over heat.

41b6c7bd9ff1fbb55c8cd57d692d17c7.jpg

c64017b8d89b9e921e66a67c8d206e4d.jpg

I would use hammock, of course. But it really depends on an area where you're going. Talking of good and reliable hammocks, I've been checking for different resources online recently, and could find a great and informative comparison article ( click here ) with some awesome models of hammocks. What can you say about Wise Owl Outfitters SingleOwl hammock there?

Last edited:
I love my hammock for warmer weather. I don't have the high end under quilts or anything so i use my tent when it is getting cooler. That is for right now. That being said I think Im going to start heading in the direction of hammocks exclusively pretty soon. I just sleep sooooo much better in a hammock than on the ground. As of now I just put my sleeping pad down in the hammock and sleep on that to keep from the cold butt and back that people complain about with a hammock.

I just got a cheap hammock from Walmart to try out. I was concerned because I'm mostly a belly sleeper and I wasn sure how it would work. I fell in love with it pretty quick. Now I need to upgrade. Here goes more money.

Last edited:
I hunted elk in Idaho 2 years ago and used a hammock system. I had a 0 degree down under quilt and a 20 degree over quilt. The sleeping was awesome. It was in the 20's at night...so pretty chilly. For those who have never slept in a hammock understand that you sleep diagonal so that you are flat and not laying like a banana. Also the hammock allows you to use it like a chair when eating and resting. I personally love running with a hammock obviously as long as there are trees. 😆

I’m a Warbonnet fan boy who sleeps warm in single digits thanks to top and underquilts.

Attachments

• BC903BC3-698C-4FEA-B280-898C6093BA8C.jpeg
    BC903BC3-698C-4FEA-B280-898C6093BA8C.jpeg
    616.3 KB · Views: 18
How in the world is your tent setup lighter than your hammock setup? I have a Zpacks Duplex that weighs somewhere in the ballpark of 2 pounds. My hammock, tarp, and suspension comes in just at a pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think my setups are almost the same.

Warbonnet Ground Tarp 17oz plus stakes
Xtherm 23oz
Borah Bug Bivy 6oz
46 oz total

Hammock Gear Journey Tarp 16.5oz plus stakes
Hammock Gear 30 underquilt 22oz
Hummingbird Hammock and suspension 10.5oz
49oz total

I use the same too quilt for both so that doesn’t factor into the comparison. If I switch to the Xlite, I can shave 7 ounces off the tent setup and have about the same temp rating as the hammock setup so apples to apples I’d be 10 ounces lighter with a tent.

In my experience hammocks are good for naps. After an hour or two I am itching to get out. One of my good buddies brought a hammock to try out on a backpack trip. I poked my head out of the tent in the morning and saw him on the ground.
I would definitely make sure you can stay comfortable in a hammock all night before taking one on a hunting trip.

I’ve only used a hammock when it’s warm and dry but really enjoyed it. Small light and Super simple setup and was nice to use for a warm midday nap. Also doubles as a chair Which is a bonus. The last trip we used them my hunting partner and I found a triangle of three trees that made a perfect setup to be able to hang out, cook and sleep between, it made for a really nice camp. I used just a light bag and was good to go, a pad might’ve been nice but I haven’t tried that. There’s plenty of guys who camp in pretty extreme weather with hammocks but by the time everything gets setup with a tarp and under quilt I’m not sure if you’re gaining much of you already have a good tent setup. If you already have a good hammock setup I suppose it’d be even and with the right tarp it could be better to hangout and eat etc in a swinging chair in the rain than sitting in a tent. If its super windy it might not be fun, but I’m sure with a good tarp setup it’d be alright. Definitely be worth testing different situations before committing to it for a big trip.

Back