Terrible custom build experience

You're doing the right thing by not burning the builder before giving them a chance to make it right. But were I in your shoes, I'd give them precisely 1 chance to make it right - from your contact, to sending the gun, to how they treat you after they get the gun - a single bit of friction or poor-quality experience from here, then demand your money back without hesitation. While what happened to you is absurd, every once in a while a great builder or company can just have a completely random mistake. Once is an accident - twice is everything you need to know.

OP
Linetrash

Linetrash

FNG
What is right is what is right. Any rifle should have an expectation to work. Glad you are in contact with them to make it right...they should. Period, end of story. If they cannot make that right quickly, they should put another rifle to the head of the line for you and make you a completely new model.

Protect yourself just in case too. Get your phone out and document the issues on video. Video the feed issues, the mag issues, and anything else you can find.

Did they make the DBM standard or extended length? What caliber is your rifle and what bullet. Sometimes a DBM wont take some of the longer non- SAAMI calibers and requires a CIP mag.
300 prc and its an h&s DBM sized for that caliber

OP
Linetrash

Linetrash

FNG
It shouldn’t have even left the shop without checking function. It sounds like they didn’t actually do any load dev and just threw something together and hoped it worked. From what I can tell they are at least trying to make it right, but shipping costs should be on them. Hopefully they can get it working for you.

If it comes back and still won’t cycle I’d likely ask for a refund
Shipping is on them, it’s definitely been shot and I would hope they have enough integrity to be honest about load development. But that’s what concerns me about going with the DBM again because of feeding issues that may reoccur.

wildcat33

WKR
Does slightly shortening the COAL really make a difference for you? Its in your right to get things the way you want them, and the smith should do so. But if everything else about the rifle is good, it could be a lot of stress for not much, or no, downrange benefit....

OP
Linetrash

Linetrash

FNG
You're doing the right thing by not burning the builder before giving them a chance to make it right. But were I in your shoes, I'd give them precisely 1 chance to make it right - from your contact, to sending the gun, to how they treat you after they get the gun - a single bit of friction or poor-quality experience from here, then demand your money back without hesitation. While what happened to you is absurd, every once in a while a great builder or company can just have a completely random mistake. Once is an accident - twice is everything you need to know.
Thanks for this, that’s exactly how I’ve been feeling about it and you put it into words.

OP
Linetrash

Linetrash

FNG
Does slightly shortening the COAL really make a difference for you? Its in your right to get things the way you want them, and the smith should do so. But if everything else about the rifle is good, it could be a lot of stress for not much, or no, downrange benefit....
It doesn’t make a difference to me as long as it’s still a shooter, this gun should easily outshoot me.

Article 4

WKR
Not familiar with CIP please explain
It is about length of magazine compared to bullet COAL.
C.I.P. (Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives) in 1989 with the advent of the 338 Lapua where longer mags are needed to facilitate bigger longer rounds.

Standard LA have a 3.71 mag; and there are DBMs that accept that length. The CIP extended length is 3.85 length to accommodate longer bullets (AICS Mags). Builders should be using this length for a 300 PRC, especially for a DBM

As others have said, for now it's an ammo problem not a rifle problem. So at worst, with the current issues, it'd be reasonable to get a refund on the load development part. If it can't chamber factory ammo that's a whole other worse issue and is a rifle problem.

OP
Linetrash

Linetrash

FNG
Update with factory ammo it will chamber the first 2 but will not chamber the last round.

OP
Linetrash

Linetrash

FNG
As others have said, for now it's an ammo problem not a rifle problem. So at worst, with the current issues, it'd be reasonable to get a refund on the load development part. If it can't chamber factory ammo that's a whole other worse issue and is a rifle problem.
Rifle and ammunition issue

OP
Linetrash

Linetrash

FNG
It is about length of magazine compared to bullet COAL.
C.I.P. (Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives) in 1989 with the advent of the 338 Lapua where longer mags are needed to facilitate bigger longer rounds.

Standard LA have a 3.71 mag; and there are DBMs that accept that length. The CIP extended length is 3.85 length to accommodate longer bullets (AICS Mags). Builders should be using this length for a 300 PRC, especially for a DBM
Loaded factory ammo into the mag and it’s a perfect fit but no room for movement! I get what you’re saying, thank you!

TaperPin

WKR
Seat the bullets deeper in the ammo provided, or have them do it - if it shoots to whatever the standard was that you and the builder agreed on problem solved move on.

It’s not a perfect world.

SloppyJ

WKR
If they built you a "custom" 300prc and didn't spec out a CIP bottom metal and mag, then that's all you should need to know IMO.

I just finished up my first one. It's also a PRC and I used a UM bottom metal and mag for a 3.880" COAL maximum. I'm around 3.76 with 215s. I will say that if I pussyfoot around with the bolt it's not very smooth feeding due to the length of the cartridge but that has gotten much better as I've started to break it in and have made some adjustments to everything. If you run the bolt hard does it still bind up?

The real question is how much your bullet is jumping when seated at mag length. I honestly can't believe they would build that. Do you know that measurement? Did you spec out the parts or was this all on them?

I'm very interested in who built this. They should have advised you much better than that. Only way I would change my mind about this is if they were hamstrung by the action you chose.

If it's a hunting rifle, just go BDL and be happy. There's a lot of good things to say about a BDL setup in my experience as I actually prefer them.

SDHNTR

WKR
This exact same scenario happened to me. Same deal. Paid for rifle and the load development. When it got to me, it would not cycle at all. They had almost 100 documented shots through it. Evidently, everyone single loaded. Took a video of it not cycling and sent to them. They were embarrassed. They sent me a shipping label, it went back, they fixed it immediately, and it was back in my hands inside of a week. It is one of my best rifles.

Whenever there's a conclusion to this thing, let us know who the builder was. I'm curious since you said it was a well known one.