Texaa

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Might be relocating for work to Mesquite Texas. Coming from the hunting hell that is Washington I'm sure that it's a improvement. Anyway, I'm not looking for anyone's spots or anything. Just wanting to know if someone around there could give me any info as far as what the hunting situation looks like there. I don't mind driving a bit for hunting but I'd like to be within an hour of at least something. Anyone able to shed some light for me?

jmez

WKR
Figure out how much you are willing and able to pay for a lease. Will be tough to find one now so close to season.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Figure out how much you are willing and able to pay for a lease. Will be tough Cindy one now so close to season.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Not looking for this year. Hunting Washington this year just trying to see if it's a area worth a dang

Basically all private land leases. Stuff to the east will be small pine and oak type properties. To get to the west side you got to get all the way across dfw which is a traffic nightmare. There are some army Corp of engineer lands and some forest stuff to the east. Very little property to explore without money other than stuff around the reservoirs.

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Basically all private land leases. Stuff to the east will be small pine and oak type properties. To get to the west side you got to get all the way across dfw which is a traffic nightmare. There are some army Corp of engineer lands and some forest stuff to the east. Very little property to explore without money other than stuff around the reservoirs.
How much does a typical lease cost?

1600 to 2500 per 160 acre spot is what I see. No real opportunity to stalk usually blinds or climbers over bait. Shots for rifles are rarely over 200 yds on eastern side of state. Ag fields on west side can be longer. Lots of pigs in east. Cost all depends on quality of area and whether it is a 1 ot 2 buck county.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
1600 to 2500 per 160 acre spot is what I see. No real opportunity to stalk usually blinds or climbers over bait. Shots for rifles are rarely over 200 yds on eastern side of state. Ag fields on west side can be longer. Lots of pigs in east. Cost all depends on quality of area and whether it is a 1 ot 2 buck county.

That sounds terrible lol.

mlgc20

WKR
I live in Dallas. Personally, I don’t ever hunt in Texas any more. I will make 2 trips to Colorado and a trip to New Mexico this year. There isn’t any hunting within at least 4 hours of DFW that would interest me. Plenty of great fishing here. But hunting is pretty miserable IMO.

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Dallas. Personally, I don’t ever hunt in Texas any more. I will make 2 trips to Colorado and a trip to New Mexico this year. There isn’t any hunting within at least 4 hours of DFW that would interest me. Plenty of great fishing here. But hunting is pretty miserable IMO.
Even hog hunting?

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
I was born and raised in Washington, one buck, one elk, then your done as far as the big game outside of predators is concerned.

Fitzwho

WKR
Probably take you a couple years to find somebody to let you hunt hogs for free on their place. I know it seems like guys should pay you to shoot hogs, but unfortunately that is not the case. I have tracked down a few spots over the years that I have permission to shoot a hog or two here and there, but that’s it. I’ve been in Texas pretty much my entire life. It’s 2.5 weeks until the deer opener and 6 weeks into dove season and I don’t own a Texas hunting license as of yet. I even drew a deer tag in Texas this year and decided not to go because of timing and location.

I do own hunting licenses in AZ, NM, UT, CO, and NV. And points in WY, MT, SD, KS, and IA.

I started hunting in Texas and then started hunting elsewhere as soon as I was able to figure it out. I spend all my time hunting outside of Texas other than to help a buddy clear out pigs. If I did not have access to his land I would not buy a license. Only time I hunt in Texas is when my kids draw a public tag. I have only had one good lease operator in the four i have had. I love pig hunting but seeing different country every year out west is more enjoyable to me personally.

Seay

FNG
Hunted Texas my entire life. I Love everything that is hunting. There are several public land opportunities within a couple hours of mesquite but most will say it is over hunted and HIGH pressured. This makes for hard hunting, but great accomplishment when successful. Usually have to walk in a couple miles to get to anything remotely close to “low pressure”.

All that said I have hunted private land (leases) most of the time. Just have to be relentless in your search for a lease and ABSOLUTELY have cash in hand ready to pounce when you find a place. Otherwise there are 10 others right behind you ready to pay.

Good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wavygravy

FNG
Everyone's not wrong here. I'm in Houston and apply to all the permit hunts and I always end up pulling 2-3 / year where I get a chance to hunt deer, hogs, exotics, etc. The great ones require a lot of preference points but even the bad ones are pretty fun when you have 700ish acres to yourself. Either fork out the cash for a $4k+ lease or go to NM and CO for a few weeks / year. I wont even go to public land like Sam Houston NF during rifle season, just not worth the drive. Dove season is great though!

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of fishing opportunities near the DFW area, however like others have said for hunting......

Be prepared to....

Drive
Pay $$$ for a private lease , then get
Pay $$$ for corn and other feed. If a shared lease or low fence, You have to complete with the other lessee's and who has the best bait setup. There was also a 500 pound minimum per year.
Wait for the lease manager to give you the "ok" to shoot a deer that has a cool name and that there are 1,000's of pictures and videos of. There could be 40 deer inside the feed pen or along the sendero, but unless it was a deer designated as a "cull" or one that was granted permission, you just watched a dozen what I would call "shooters" eat dinner.

I am sure that there are different types of leases out there, but this is the type I was introduced to....tried it for a year but didn't renew. High fence is a whole different ball game. There is the opportunity to take exotics.

I grew up in the Midwest and Texas was a totally different style of hunting to me. I related it to more like raising cattle then shooting a big buck that you fed 1,000 pounds of corn over 5 - 6 years until he matured. Just not my style.

I hunt out of state.

Editorial comments: I just read my post and it really comes off negative. I thought about deleting it, but thought I would share my thoughts and experiences. Texas has a lot of opportunities and is a target rich environment, but it is going to be different than what you are used to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of fishing opportunities near the DFW area, however like others have said for hunting......

Be prepared to....

Drive
Pay $$$ for a private lease , then get
Pay $$$ for corn and other feed. If a shared lease or low fence, You have to complete with the other lessee's and who has the best bait setup. There was also a 500 pound minimum per year.
Wait for the lease manager to give you the "ok" to shoot a deer that has a cool name and that there are 1,000's of pictures and videos of. There could be 40 deer inside the feed pen or along the sendero, but unless it was a deer designated as a "cull" or one that was granted permission, you just watched a dozen what I would call "shooters" eat dinner.

I am sure that there are different types of leases out there, but this is the type I was introduced to....tried it for a year but didn't renew. High fence is a whole different ball game. There is the opportunity to take exotics.

I grew up in the Midwest and Texas was a totally different style of hunting to me. I related it to more like raising cattle then shooting a big buck that you fed 1,000 pounds of corn over 5 - 6 years until he matured. Just not my style.

I hunt out of state.

Editorial comments: I just read my post and it really comes off negative. I thought about deleting it, but thought I would share my thoughts and experiences. Texas has a lot of opportunities and is a target rich environment, but it is going to be different than what you are used to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Didn't come off negative at all. Just bluntly informative. The way I like it!