The 1 Thing You Learned- Rifles

If at all possible, check your zero when you get to your hunt location. I missed a decent buck this year at 200 yards. It wasn’t the easiest shot, he was walking slowly in tall grass. But I thought I had the shot nailed. It was bugging me so much I went and checked my zero. Turns out I was hitting 4” lower than when I last sighted in a month prior. I was using the same lot of ammo but the temp was 30 degrees lower and my gun and ammo were stored outside in a vehicle overnight. So everything was colder than when I sighted in.

Comerade

FNG
Well, about 10 years ago I switched over to leverguns for everything.
They just work better if you are horseback. Many decades I used a turnbolt and now I have lever action rifles in the .22 , 243, .270 wcf and 450 Marlin

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, about 10 years ago I switched over to leverguns for everything.
They just work better if you are horseback. Many decades I used a turnbolt and now I have lever action rifles in the .22 , 243, .270 wcf and 450 Marlin
Do you find they work better because they are thinner?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If at all possible, check your zero when you get to your hunt location. I missed a decent buck this year at 200 yards. It wasn’t the easiest shot, he was walking slowly in tall grass. But I thought I had the shot nailed. It was bugging me so much I went and checked my zero. Turns out I was hitting 4” lower than when I last sighted in a month prior. I was using the same lot of ammo but the temp was 30 degrees lower and my gun and ammo were stored outside in a vehicle overnight. So everything was colder than when I sighted in.
Plus it never hurts to get some shooting time in anyway

wyosam

WKR
This will sound unintentionally cheesy being that I work for Spartan Precision Equipment, but I am finding that a good rest is more important than the gun/scope/cartridge that fires the bullet. Right now all the trends are shooting farther, carbon fiber, Hubble sized telescopes, and it's refreshing to see when people put the same amount of thought into their rest.

Rest is absolutely key. A 1/2 minute rifle doesn’t mean much with a 6 minute hold. I spent a lot of time working on improvised rests for years. A couple years ago I saw the spartan and decided it was worth a try (never liked the idea of a mounted bipod for hunting). What a difference! Now I’ve spent a bunch of time practicing getting into shooting positions with it quickly. Being able to quickly see what is going to work in a given situation is a big help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
That is awesome. And inspiring!

I take a lot of rookies hunting. The single most common issue that I see that causes lost opportunities is the inability to get on target quickly. I see this a lot with guys who have too many gizmos. Bipods, funky slings, overpowered or overcomplicated optics, bulky clothing, you name it.

So my one “thing” is to recommend that you take inventory of your crap, reduce the unnecessary stuff, and practice getting on target fast and making it count. That golden opportunity might be fleeting.

Truth. My rifles wear big scopes during the off season for load development and shooting steel. About mid-August or so they get simple low mag variable or fixed scopes. No canted rail, just mounted in Talley lightweights. Too much for me to screw up otherwise.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Rest is absolutely key. A 1/2 minute rifle doesn’t mean much with a 6 minute hold. I spent a lot of time working on improvised rests for years. A couple years ago I saw the spartan and decided it was worth a try (never liked the idea of a mounted bipod for hunting). What a difference! Now I’ve spent a bunch of time practicing getting into shooting positions with it quickly. Being able to quickly see what is going to work in a given situation is a big help.

So true! Which bipod model did you get?

I work with Spartan Precision Equipment, so always feel free to reach out with any questions 👍

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Truth. My rifles wear big scopes during the off season for load development and shooting steel. About mid-August or so they get simple low mag variable or fixed scopes. No canted rail, just mounted in Talley lightweights. Too much for me to screw up otherwise.

I think a lot of us forget we can make our rifles "modular" by practicing with one scope or stock combination, then simplifying it during hunting season. Just allow plenty of time to get it swapped over and practice with it

def90

WKR
First off, hats off to you for getting after it from a chair sir!

As for learning experiences... I had to pass on a shot this year because I forgot my trekking poles in the truck. Turns out I can't get steady enough from a kneeling position, and that was the only shot afforded me, other than an offhand shot at 250 yards. I will always carry trekking poles in rifle season because I shoot really well off of them.
Take some tactical or long range precision shooting classes. There are a lot of ways to use your body to make a stable shooting rest/position.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Let's sum up some of the themes we heard most from all of you. Thanks a million for contributing your experiences, they are worth their weight in gold. Here are the tips that kept popping up most:

1. Tactical, feature rich scopes/rifles are cool, but they can be more trouble than they're worth during the pressure of hunting season. Use our fancy setups for varmint hunting, tactical competitions, and plinking for fun, then simplify for big game hunting season.

2. Whatever rifle you reach for, practice a bunch well before the season. This way if any problems arise, you have time to fix it and not worry about it during the precious few days we get the afield.

3. Don't change up anything with you gear right before the season.

TheGDog

WKR
LESSONS LEARNED : Since starting from scratch in 2014 to now...

Make sure to constantly check the hand-screw that attaches your on-board quiver to your bow. It really sucks having to backtrack on the trail outta there to find where in the hell it fell off at.

Range a variety of objects all about your sit area and all during the day silently repeat back to yourself the range of each object and and which pin, or between which two pins you'd have to hold to aim there. Visualize when you'll draw that bow back, when his eye goes behind THAT bush, etc.

Make sure you always remember to put your scope back to its lowest magnification setting after every single time you've used it and turned it up. And ALSO before you leave the truck at the hike-in.

Look up! Stop looking at your feet all the damn time during the hike-in! You'd be surprise what you're missing!

When possible, have your water split between at least 2 containers. So you don't f**k up and get yourself down to the bottom of a mountain and run out of water, when your car is up at the top of that mountain. (scariest night of my life! dehydration is so serious it ain't even funny) ALSO so that if one fails on you and leaks, you're not totally screwed.

Overshoot the projected low temps of the area with a bivvy that goes nicely below that amount. Sucks soo bad to wake up because you're freezing, and then having to put on freezing clothing that your body has to then warm-up besides the bivvy that is insufficient... because the area decided to be 10 degrees cooler then the forecasted low.

Always bring Rx pain meds! Not just NSAIDS! Always bring Imodium. Always bring Acid Blockers. Always being Alka-Seltzer. Acid-Reflux pain sucks! And you can smell that for a long ways away.

Don't forget to put on a lil bit of unscented baby sunscreen to tops of ears and tip of nose. Even if wearing facemask. Lots of clothing still lets some light thru it, so you can still get sunburnt.

Immediately reload/top-off magazine after each opportunity at taking shot(s).

Stop and swap out your socks if they've become too sweaty and wet, your feet (specifically your toes knuckles) will thank you!

Whenever you get up from the ground, check to ensure your pocket knife is still in your pocket and clipped. Same with car keys.

Learn to drink only the bare minimum when you're on a sit in concealment gear. (At least until 9-10am) And take out that water or anything else that you're certain you'll want to use or reach for and get it out of your pack and put it somewhere near you were you can reach for it without needing to look at it.

Always have a lens wiping cloth handy. Always have your scope covered when weather is rainy/foggy until you need to use it. And don't trust those flip-up scope end caps.

Don't ever trust that you'll be able to drive into SoCal's D11 zone. They'll close that damn thing whenever mother nature so much as coughs anything even remotely resembling the faintest of inclement weather. It's ridiculous.

On your way back out, if you cross paths with hikers, make it a point to purposefully smile bigger than normal and say something friendly so it puts them at ease and they don't get nervous, since they freak about seeing a gun.

Make sure to pay attention to how the shadows travel along the ground at your sit location, so you'll know for the next time you go back to that spot and pick a better location to plop down at. Also note the time of day when you noticed the wind direction has changed.

Don't wait until your normal aches and pains start to hurt before you dope up with your NSAIDS. Be preemptive with that!

Be polite, but always be very vague whenever anyone approaches you with questions about where you go up in there. There are people who will act like they are interested in getting into hunting and try to strike up conversation with you to try to non-chalantly gleen this info from you. Sometimes they are actually covert PETA/greenies that secretly wanna F**k up the success of you and any other hunter in that area, and they will do dastardly things to thwart your success.

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
Take some tactical or long range precision shooting classes. There are a lot of ways to use your body to make a stable shooting rest/position.

Or even just an appleseed event. They are cheap and a good way to get some practice in from a few positions.

I ended up getting screwed by having too small of a peep sight on my muzzleloader for an evening elk hunt in dark timber the other year.

Rifle down, you could make everything out on the bedded cow. With it up, it was a brown background through the peep. Ended up hitting the tree in front of it by about an inch.

Extremely frustrating as I’m the type to make sure my gear is 100% dialed. Had my sights loctited, practiced shooting with my pack on, made sure everything worked well and was accessible together, etc.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
LESSONS LEARNED : Since starting from scratch in 2014 to now...

Make sure to constantly check the hand-screw that attaches your on-board quiver to your bow. It really sucks having to backtrack on the trail outta there to find where in the hell it fell off at.

Range a variety of objects all about your sit area and all during the day silently repeat back to yourself the range of each object and and which pin, or between which two pins you'd have to hold to aim there. Visualize when you'll draw that bow back, when his eye goes behind THAT bush, etc.

Make sure you always remember to put your scope back to its lowest magnification setting after every single time you've used it and turned it up. And ALSO before you leave the truck at the hike-in.

Look up! Stop looking at your feet all the damn time during the hike-in! You'd be surprise what you're missing!

When possible, have your water split between at least 2 containers. So you don't f**k up and get yourself down to the bottom of a mountain and run out of water, when your car is up at the top of that mountain. (scariest night of my life! dehydration is so serious it ain't even funny) ALSO so that if one fails on you and leaks, you're not totally screwed.

Overshoot the projected low temps of the area with a bivvy that goes nicely below that amount. Sucks soo bad to wake up because you're freezing, and then having to put on freezing clothing that your body has to then warm-up besides the bivvy that is insufficient... because the area decided to be 10 degrees cooler then the forecasted low.

Always bring Rx pain meds! Not just NSAIDS! Always bring Imodium. Always bring Acid Blockers. Always being Alka-Seltzer. Acid-Reflux pain sucks! And you can smell that for a long ways away.

Don't forget to put on a lil bit of unscented baby sunscreen to tops of ears and tip of nose. Even if wearing facemask. Lots of clothing still lets some light thru it, so you can still get sunburnt.

Immediately reload/top-off magazine after each opportunity at taking shot(s).

Stop and swap out your socks if they've become too sweaty and wet, your feet (specifically your toes knuckles) will thank you!

Whenever you get up from the ground, check to ensure your pocket knife is still in your pocket and clipped. Same with car keys.

Learn to drink only the bare minimum when you're on a sit in concealment gear. (At least until 9-10am) And take out that water or anything else that you're certain you'll want to use or reach for and get it out of your pack and put it somewhere near you were you can reach for it without needing to look at it.

Always have a lens wiping cloth handy. Always have your scope covered when weather is rainy/foggy until you need to use it. And don't trust those flip-up scope end caps.

Don't ever trust that you'll be able to drive into SoCal's D11 zone. They'll close that damn thing whenever mother nature so much as coughs anything even remotely resembling the faintest of inclement weather. It's ridiculous.

On your way back out, if you cross paths with hikers, make it a point to purposefully smile bigger than normal and say something friendly so it puts them at ease and they don't get nervous, since they freak about seeing a gun.

Make sure to pay attention to how the shadows travel along the ground at your sit location, so you'll know for the next time you go back to that spot and pick a better location to plop down at. Also note the time of day when you noticed the wind direction has changed.

Don't wait until your normal aches and pains start to hurt before you dope up with your NSAIDS. Be preemptive with that!

Be polite, but always be very vague whenever anyone approaches you with questions about where you go up in there. There are people who will act like they are interested in getting into hunting and try to strike up conversation with you to try to non-chalantly gleen this info from you. Sometimes they are actually covert PETA/greenies that secretly wanna F**k up the success of you and any other hunter in that area, and they will do dastardly things to thwart your success.
Wow thank you so much for this thoughtful list! It's incredibly valuable to hear from someone who is approaching hunting from a relatively new, blank slate. I thought your tips about interacting with the public was pretty interesting.