The 22 creedmoor thread

I believe that is the only place you can buy hornady ammo for the 22 Creedmoor even

I believe that is the only place you can buy hornady ammo for the 22 creedmoor

And they are oos. I’m thinking about ordering a criterion in 22cm for my mackbros. I do reload but I like starting with a case of loaded for the brass.

In other news I picked up 200rds of blackhills 6cm 108eldm’s for $257 shipped today. About can’t reload them for that lol.

270quest

WKR
Took the tikka to the range this past weekend and got the first 35 rounds down the tube. Using Fed 210, Hornady new brass, H4350, and 80 grain ELDX. I did 15 at 35g, 5@ 35.5, 5@36, [email protected], and 5@37. Mainly wanted to see where I hit pressure and it happened at 36.5. 37 had good ejector marks and was hot. Velocity at 36.5 on the 19" barrel (no suppressor- still in jail) was around 2875-2900... Just not quite where I was hoping to be.

I know it will speed up with more rounds down the tube, But I was really hoping to over 3k. Ordered 200 77 TMKs and going to load those up and see what the velocity will do. If I can get the 77s to 3k, anything over that will be a plus. Anyone running this bullet with H4350? It seems, that what I have read, 4350 teams really well with the sub 80 grain bullets?

On a side note - good news is the rifle is going to be a shooter - all 35 rounds were in tight clusters. I need to get another 70-100 rounds down it and see how the barrel settles in.

The temporary Arken tracked well and the reticle was pretty user friendly, but not a fan of the eye relief or eye box - cant wait for the S&B to get off backorder - if it ever does.

Last edited:
Took the tikka to the range this past weekend and got the first 30 rounds down the tube. Using Fed 210, Hornady new brass, H4350, and 80 grain ELDX. I did 15 at 35g, 5@ 35.5, 5@36, [email protected], and 5@37. Mainly wanted to see where I hit pressure and it happened at 36.5. 37 had good ejector marks and was hot. Velocity at 36.5 on the 19" barrel (no suppressor- still in jail) was around 2875-2900... Just not quite where I was hoping to be.

I know it will speed up with more rounds down the tube, But I was really hoping to over 3k. Ordered 200 77 TMKs and going to load those up and see what the velocity will do. If I can get the 77s to 3k, anything over that will be a plus. Anyone running this bullet with H4350? It seems, that what I have read, 4350 teams really well with the sub 80 grain bullets?

On a side note - good news is the rifle is going to be a shooter - all 30 rounds were in tight clusters. I need to get another 70-100 rounds down it and see how the barrel settles in.

The temporary Arken tracked well and the reticle was pretty user friendly, but not a fan of the eye relief or eye box - cant wait for the S&B to get off backorder - if it ever does.
If you are hitting pressure at 37gr, you can probably squeeze more velocity with a slower burning powder. I’d try n555, h4831sc, maybe RL23, Staball 6.5. Something just a smidge slower burning will get you more case fill and probably a
And a bit more velocity too.

SouthPaw

WKR
Took the tikka to the range this past weekend and got the first 35 rounds down the tube. Using Fed 210, Hornady new brass, H4350, and 80 grain ELDX. I did 15 at 35g, 5@ 35.5, 5@36, [email protected], and 5@37. Mainly wanted to see where I hit pressure and it happened at 36.5. 37 had good ejector marks and was hot. Velocity at 36.5 on the 19" barrel (no suppressor- still in jail) was around 2875-2900... Just not quite where I was hoping to be.

On a side note - good news is the rifle is going to be a shooter - all 35 rounds were in tight clusters. I need to get another 70-100 rounds down it and see how the barrel settles in.

Give it some time. My 20" 22cm sped way up around 120-150rds. 79/80g now comfortably do around 3200fps with H4831sc.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a great store and the largest indoor gun range in the state. My company has a yard in Odessa but Im further east.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider

I haven't settled on a load but I'm getting close to 3200 on a 20" proof with a can using H4350 and 80 eldm. I didn't have any ejector marks or flattened primers. Barrel is new, still sub 50 rounds on it. I'm going to try and get some 77 tmks this weekend from a buddy.

TX_Diver

WKR
Moving back to midland/Odessa/Hobbs soon so guess I’ll tag in.

Also interested in the 22cm. Originally I thought I heard the bc of an 88 Eldm was higher than a 143eldx (and therefore better wind #) but looking at hornadys site it looks like the 143eld x is higher. Maybe I read that it was higher than the 108.

Anyways, how do the ballistics compare to a 143eldx at ~2600fps (18” tikka barrel with 42.3gr of H4350 if I remember right).

Aside from reduced recoil would I gain much?

I’ve been seeing it on the shelves for months now at a local store. Saw it yesterday and they had a lot more than pictured.
View attachment 699134
Nice! Hopefully the popularity blows up and other manufacturers like Norma and BH start producing 22cm.

Eta: I went on hornady’s webpage to look at their 22cm offering and it’s not on there.

Last edited:

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider

Also interested in the 22cm. Originally I thought I heard the bc of an 88 Eldm was higher than a 143eldx (and therefore better wind #) but looking at hornadys site it looks like the 143eld x is higher. Maybe I read that it was higher than the 108.

Anyways, how do the ballistics compare to a 143eldx at ~2600fps (18” tikka barrel with 42.3gr of H4350 if I remember right).

Reduced recoil is it really but its worth enough to me with an 8lb rig. I shoot a 18” 6.5creed 140 bergers 2610fps and with my 18” 22creed, factory 80gr elds run 3070fps. Looking at AB wind drift a 1000yards is almost identical comparing the 143 vs 80 favoring the 80 just slightly. But I need to take them out to shoot side by side one day.

SouthPaw

WKR

Its a substantial drop in recoil from 6.5cm to 22cm, and the impact speeds of the bullet at all realistic hunting distances is higher with the 88g/22cm. Wind bracket mph number is similar.

SouthPaw

WKR
Have you figured out what velocity that bullet needs to open yet? I’ll bet it’s a long way out there with that gun.
I don't have an exact lower limit velocity number, but impact velocities with the DRTs in the 2k fps range resulted in complete fragmentation. Thus I'd be comfortable a bit below that. With the 22cm its farther than I have any business shooting at animals.

Reduced recoil is it really but its worth enough to me with an 8lb rig. I shoot a 18” 6.5creed 140 bergers 2610fps and with my 18” 22creed, factory 80gr elds run 3070fps. Looking at AB wind drift a 1000yards is almost identical comparing the 143 vs 80 favoring the 80 just slightly. But I need to take them out to shoot side by side one day.
There is a big difference in mid range trajectory which means with 6.5 you are doing much more ranging and dialling rather than point and shoot

Have you figured out what velocity that bullet needs to open yet? I’ll bet it’s a long way out there with that gun.

According to Dustin at DRT the minimum velocity for fragmentation with the 79gr bullet is 1600 -1800 fps.

Loaded some 88s with h1000 last weekend got a pretty unexpected jump in velocity over reloader 23 with a light Jane and an 18” barrel I averaging 3050. I have some 85.5 bergers to try but they will have to shoot awfully good to get me to switch at this point especially since I can’t find much on how they do terminally and I’m really planning on this being the main gun on an elk hunt this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR

Wind performance ends up being basically the same at reasonable hunting ranges, and as noted above you get a substancial velocity but in a short barrel. At the end of the day even with a better BC I can’t shoot or correct the difference if the guns hold the same wind number. You also gain a little flatter trajectory meaning more room for ranging errors in the field.

That combined with lack of recoil make a pretty forgiving rifle.

A 6 would be a much more appealing option if willing to keep it 20”. But for a short suppressed rifle I have no regrets on the 22 creed.

Really the oh downside is 22 cal being illegal for some big game. I don’t think I could make a better deer gun.

Wind performance ends up being basically the same at reasonable hunting ranges, and as noted above you get a substancial velocity but in a short barrel. At the end of the day even with a better BC I can’t shoot the difference if the guns hold the same wind number.

That combined with lack of recoil make a pretty forgiving rifle.

It really opens your eyes when you compare say an 88 in a 22 creed to a 156 out of a 6.5 saum at 600 yards 1 mph wind is only like a 1/2” or something small the wind call is the wind call, but if your off by a few mph your really only gaining a few inches at most by shooting a much heavier recoiling round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk