The $25k question

I need some assistance, my wife finally graduates from nursing school this December-opening up availability for me to start going on some adventure hunts.
Hoping for a combo AK Yukon moose & caribou hunt, not including the cost of flights or taxidermy I’d like to be at $25k or under.

Ideally I’d like to speak with someone who has done this type of hunt & has experience with multiple different guides & outfitters.

Feel free to message me and I’ll give out my #.

Thanks

bmrfish

WKR
Different critters, different habitats, different hunts as my Alaska friends told me years ago when I asked this same question. Probably some guided hunts that do this but I suspect they substantially exceed your budget.
We went with separate hunts unguided and never looked back.
As someone said, the demand is huge and places are filling several years out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jacob Chapman
Different critters, different habitats, different hunts as my Alaska friends told me years ago when I asked this same question. Probably some guided hunts that do this but I suspect they substantially exceed your budget.
We went with separate hunts unguided and never looked back.
As someone said, the demand is huge and places are filling several years out.

Yeah that makes sense. I honestly just don’t have the experience for a DIY deal, nor do I have friends that would be willing to go on this type of adventure hunt or else I’d seriously consider DIY

The odds of you finding caribou/ moose combo for under 25k is extremely unlikely based on my experience. Seems like each year the price has gone up for the last 5 years. You could do a drop camp and stay under 25k, but it will be unguided. Maybe do 2 trips, moose guided and caribou unguided. Moose are so big, that it would be a huge benefit to have packers. Caribou is doable unguided, especially after you get some experience on your moose hunt. It seems like each time I go to AK, I learn new things and each trip goes a little smoother.

I think you can get to your number if you do a Canadian Moose/ caribou hunt.

Last edited:
Your funding may be on the light side for moose and caribou combo especially with current ungulate population issues in eastern Alaska.

I agree with Vern. You should look into just a moose hunt, or, a moose priority hunt with the possibility of caribou on the side, on a trophy fee basis. I wouldn't do the combo big game species thing in Alaska. Just go for the moose, guided. Shoot me a PM if you have questions.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Jacob,

Tell Carly congratulations, she has earned it.

I‘m not much help with the outfitters, have always done my hunts self guided. I have done six AK moose hunts, you have my number if there is anything I can help with.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Jacob,

Tell Carly congratulations, she has earned it.

I‘m not much help with the outfitters, have always done my hunts self guided. I have done six AK moose hunts, you have my number if there is anything I can help with.
Thanks Walt!

Hope all is well/we were in Fishtail this past weekend for our friends wedding-there is nothing like Montana in September!

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Guides get that much? I should be one
2da90dd7a01dce6b9fcccdd3b8080334.jpg

8aee08ae2babcf59294bb1105e2ff359.jpg

530c884dab032553de89f3953cd89e8b.jpg

One the boat ride back we saw 4 other big bulls

PA Hunter

WKR
Another option is Newfoundland, for around $6000 you can do a moose hunt there and its mandatory guided as non resident. Good way to get use to moose hunting. I did four of them just to get good at calling, quartering, deboning ect. The Eastern Canadian moose are not as big and the racks do not compare but its a hell of allot cheaper and great way to learn.

Mojave

WKR
Contact Ravensthroat Outfitters in the NWT. He is booked for a few years out, it won't be $25,000 for both but closer to $35,000.

But you'll actually get it done.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Contact Ravensthroat Outfitters in the NWT. He is booked for a few years out, it won't be $25,000 for both but closer to $35,000.

But you'll actually get it done.
I’ve looked into them, unfortunately they don’t take bow hunters anymore. I’ve heard fantastic things however!

Mojave

WKR
I’ve looked into them, unfortunately they don’t take bow hunters anymore. I’ve heard fantastic things however!
There are actually a few in Alaska that don't anymore either.

The problem is that they are on the hook to a bowhunter if things go wrong and they can't get within 40-60 yards of the animal. Hurts their success rates, which hurts their business.

Then when the animal runs away and the guide shoots it with a rifle, because that is Alaska, NWT, Yukon guide and outfitter best practices the bowhunter is pissed.

Jacob - Have you done much DIY Western hunting? If so, AK isn't that bad DIY, Just takes a little more planning. I have been twice ~$5500 to $6k per person. Typically 2 of us go. We each have harvested a bull. 2 years - 2 bulls. 1 bull each trip. Saw over 33 brown bears in 7 days on the last trip. Had an encounter with a sow and 3 cubs at less than 15 yards. Great time figuring it all out on your own! I would strongly encourage it if you can find someone to go with you

Attachments

• moose back.jpg
    moose back.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG-5327.jpg
    IMG-5327.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG-5496.JPG
    IMG-5496.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 81
  • moose.jpg
    moose.jpg