Chance to move back West

OP
Jacob Chapman
We’ve got plenty of time to figure things out which is nice.

Slowly narrowing places down. Around Missoula and Palmdale are the most intriguing, followed by Couer D Alene at this point

jimh406

WKR
Just fyi, Missoula has an inversion layer in Winter. You might think about North or South from there. North is reservation land. My brother lives in CDL.

It combined with Spokane is much better than Missoula as far as stores/air flights are combined. CDL usually gets more snow in Winter and more mild than Missoula in general. Lake CDL and also the lakes north of there are great for Lake fishing. Missoula area except for Flathead lake is more river fishing.

Do look at the climate data to understand what the weather is like.

As some one who lives in star valley I wouldn't live anywhere around Jackson. Prices are getting outrageous. You would be lucky to find a home for less then 450k and prices keeping going up. If I was in your shoes I would look for eastern Wyoming or eastern Montana around Billings. If you are not house poor then you will have extra money to spend on gas, hunting, and taking time off to hunt. Also then fly to Alaska to hunt more often.

manitou1

WKR
As some one who lives in star valley I wouldn't live anywhere around Jackson. Prices are getting outrageous. You would be lucky to find a home for less then 450k and prices keeping going up. If I was in your shoes I would look for eastern Wyoming or eastern Montana around Billings. If you are not house poor then you will have extra money to spend on gas, hunting, and taking time off to hunt. Also then fly to Alaska to hunt more often.
Ha, a decent 1600sf home in Eastern WY will start at $500k, if you are lucky enough to find one. At least in the Buffalo/Sheridan areas. Good ones sell within a week.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Just fyi, Missoula has an inversion layer in Winter. You might think about North or South from there. North is reservation land. My brother lives in CDL.

It combined with Spokane is much better than Missoula as far as stores/air flights are combined. CDL usually gets more snow in Winter and more mild than Missoula in general. Lake CDL and also the lakes north of there are great for Lake fishing. Missoula area except for Flathead lake is more river fishing.

Do look at the climate data to understand what the weather is like.
What do you mean by inversion layer?

I was looking closer to Stevensville/Ronan/Hamilton areas vs in Missoula specifically

jimh406

WKR
What do you mean by inversion layer?

I was looking closer to Stevensville/Ronan/Hamilton areas vs in Missoula specifically
You can google for more details but the net effect is that it is smoggy/smoky down low in Winter. The Bitterroot Valley (Stevi, Victor, Hamilton) has some of the same effect, but is not surrounded as close by Mtns like Missoula is. If you can find something above the valley, you’ll appreciate it. Valley is at 3000-3300, I live around 4400. I’m above the layer most days, so it is clear where I live almost all of the time.

Example photo attached. Maybe obvious, it’s clear at my elevation since you can see the Bitterroot Mtns.

Attachments

• 261A034C-6993-442E-949E-4B452CB4A573.jpeg
    261A034C-6993-442E-949E-4B452CB4A573.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: