The 6UM

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
UM only sells loaded ammo so if they offered loaded ammo for it will be expensive. You have the brass cost they are reducing neck size, fire forming it cleaning it and reloading it to sell. After you shoot it the brass is useless to you unless you want to get into reloading because you can’t send the brass back to UM to load it.
Why couldn't you send the brass back to UM to reload it? Seems they offer that service for other calibers.

Clark33

WKR
UM only sells loaded ammo so if they offered loaded ammo for it will be expensive. You have the brass cost they are reducing neck size, fire forming it cleaning it and reloading it to sell. After you shoot it the brass is useless to you unless you want to get into reloading because you can’t send the brass back to UM to load it.
I guess i forgot they no longer do load dev. My mistake

D R T

FNG
Howdy from STX.
Thinking of a 20” 6UM that will always wear a suppressor. I have a SilencerCo Scythe on order but might run my TBAC ultra 7. Most hunting will be done from a box blind in South Texas, but I do want lightweight because I want this as a do all rifle for nearly everything. I also hunt antelope and mule deer with hopes of an elk in the near future.

I’m going to use this primarily at our deer lease in South Texas. We hunt senderos mostly. Point blank to 500 yards max. Most shots will be 200 and in. In reading all the pages on Rokslide most of the talk is about elk with the 115 DTACs. It looks like there’s hesitation to use DTACs on deer. We have some of the largest bodied whitetails in the state. Most mature bucks are 220 plus pounds on the hoof. Definitely not huge but big for TX. Week before last, I had a buddy shoot a 230 lb buck quartering to us in the shoulder at 40 yards with a 150 grain SST 308 that didn’t exit. Yes through lots of bone, but I figured that at that close of distance, that the bullet would've exited.

Our place is in heavy brush country full of thorns. We need exit wounds. If they don’t drop and don’t leave blood, they can disappear in the heavy cover.

I’m near sea level at my home ranch and reach the lofty highs of only 700 ft at our hunting lease. According to the Berger stabilizer calculator, at 3350, 115 DTAC show marginal stability. Will they work in my scenario?

Howdy from STX.
Thinking of a 20” 6UM that will always wear a suppressor. I have a SilencerCo Scythe on order but might run my TBAC ultra 7. Most hunting will be done from a box blind in South Texas, but I do want lightweight because I want this as a do all rifle for nearly everything. I also hunt antelope and mule deer with hopes of an elk in the near future.

I’m going to use this primarily at our deer lease in South Texas. We hunt senderos mostly. Point blank to 500 yards max. Most shots will be 200 and in. In reading all the pages on Rokslide most of the talk is about elk with the 115 DTACs. It looks like there’s hesitation to use DTACs on deer. We have some of the largest bodied whitetails in the state. Most mature bucks are 220 plus pounds on the hoof. Definitely not huge but big for TX. Week before last, I had a buddy shoot a 230 lb buck quartering to us in the shoulder at 40 yards with a 150 grain SST 308 that didn’t exit. Yes through lots of bone, but I figured that at that close of distance, that the bullet would've exited.

Our place is in heavy brush country full of thorns. We need exit wounds. If they don’t drop and don’t leave blood, they can disappear in the heavy cover.
Are you aware that higher impact velocity correlates with shallower penetration and wider wounds with most bullets?
I’m near sea level at my home ranch and reach the lofty highs of only 700 ft at our hunting lease. According to the Berger stabilizer calculator, at 3350, 115 DTAC show marginal stability. Will they work in my scenario?
You didn't specify twist rate. Do you have a barrel already? If not i'm not understanding your issue with stability question if you have to buy the barrel still, just get it twisted fast enough. For your application i'd probably just look at 103 ELDx or 106 TAP bullets. Maybe 105 scenars too.

D R T

FNG
Are you aware that higher impact velocity correlates with shallower penetration and wider wounds with most bullets?
Was not.
You didn't specify twist rate. Do you have a barrel already? If not i'm not understanding your issue with stability question if you have to buy the barrel still, just get it twisted fast enough. For your application i'd probably just look at 103 ELDx or 106 TAP bullets. Maybe 105 scenars too.
Was thinking 7.5 based off this thread.

atmat

WKR
Howdy from STX.

I’ve from TX and have plenty of experience hunting STX.

For your application, you’ll see none of the benefits of a 6UM but will see some of the drawbacks. Get yourself a 1:8 223 shooting 73ELD/77TMK, or a 1:8 243/6creed shooting the 103/108ELD.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Was not.

I run dtacs in several 7.5 twist 243AI. I'm at about the same elevation as you and they shoot great all the way to below zero degrees.

I personally would use a plastic tip match bullet or a hollow point with a bigger meplat to get better wound channels on deer. I had great luck with the 105 amax and switched to hornady 105 bthp when I ran out of amax for a cheaper high volume bullet. My furthest shot on a deer with the bthp was at just shy of 700 yards. We killed 3 cull does that afternoon between 610 and 690 something. None took a step, but were hit cns (high shoulder). You shouldn't have any problems getting accuracy out of dtacs, but you will likely get better terminal performance with elds.

Was not.

The deep cut NR DTAC would do great in that application. I've found them to fragment extremely well at the impact velocities you'd have at max 500 yards. You should get exits most of the time as well. They'll stabilize just fine, even in an 8 twist.
The 108 ELD would be a great option too, especially in a 20" barrel. Either bullet will give you what you're looking for.