The best caliber for brown bear?

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
You can't "Fully" grasp the stark terror experienced from the awesome power of a large male Alaska Coastal Brown Bear.........till one is standing totally over the top of you, just waiting for you to twitch the ever slightest amount, so he can do what he is most skilled at doing. You never forget what it is like to have the penis sheath of that bear two inches from the bridge of you nose, for a long-long-long period of time.

You can't "Fully" grasp the stark terror experienced from the awesome power of a large male Alaska Coastal Brown Bear.........till one is standing totally over the top of you, just waiting for you to twitch the ever slightest amount, so he can do what he is most skilled at doing. You never forget what it is like to have the penis sheath of that bear two inches from the bridge of you nose, for a long-long-long period of time.

Sourdough, Heck of a story to tell. Love to hear it!!

If you can stomach it, would love to hear the story

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
If you can stomach it, would love to hear the story

It is simply not a believable thing that happened, so it is pointless to (fully) recount it. It is just so far outside of peoples ability to accept, given the narrow box we put bear behavior into.

However I have many thrilling accounts that are believable because they are with-in standard acceptable boundaries of yucky bear encounters, including several of attempting to stop bears, that after the final shot they still ran over me, or ran over someone else. I have so many accounts that I wish I could find someone to write about them. Many are interesting, that did not include any real danger, could have, but did not, when concluded.

The big Alaska Coastal Brown Bear that was on top of me for a long time, did not hurt me, just stood over me. For as big as he was, it was incredible how smoothly and carefully he got off of me without stepping on me or even scratching me by accident. It was the most terrifying of my many intimate big bear encounters, mostly because I was totally without any weapon, even a pocket knife, that and it lasted so very-very long. 50 years of living with bears, and guiding hunters........I have so many accounts, and being old, it seems sad that they will never be recorded. I think the big bear that was over me, was likely the same bear that Chuck Adams took a few days later. He was a big bear, but he did not hurt me.

No bravado, just things that happen living this way, in that time period. Just interesting happenings.

Last edited:
OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
It is simply not a believable thing that happened, so it is pointless to (fully) recount it. It is just so far outside of peoples ability to accept, given the narrow box we put bear behavior into.

However I have many thrilling accounts that are believable because they are with-in standard acceptable boundaries of yucky bear encounters, including several of attempting to stop bears, that after the final shot they still ran over me, or ran over someone else. I have so many accounts that I wish I could find someone to write about them. Many are interesting, that did not include any real danger, could have, but did not, when concluded.

The big Alaska Coastal Brown Bear that was on top of me for a long time, did not hurt me, just stood over me. For as big as he was, it was incredible how smoothly and carefully he got off of me without stepping on me or even scratching me by accident. It was the most terrifying of my many intimate big bear encounters, mostly because I was totally without any weapon, even a pocket knife, that and it lasted so very-very long. 50 years of living with bears, and guiding hunters........I have so many accounts, and being old, it seems sad that they will never be recorded. I think the big bear that was over me, was likely the same bear that Chuck Adams took a few days later. He was a big bear, but he did not hurt me.

No bravado, just things that happen living this way, in that time period. Just interesting happenings.

The joys of living and sharing the country side with these animals! Im sure it seemed like time stood still for that as well, what a story!

Vinootz

Banned
You sound bored. Go try a 22LR on one to snap out of it. That’ll create excitement- lol.

Skee7533

FNG
Had an uncle who lived near Delta Junction, Alaska and he used an 8mm Rem Mag when he hunted them back in the 80's. If I were to hunt one today, I think I would use a .375.

Stid2677

WKR
I've killed a few with the Ole 06,, plenty if you put it in the right spot. The thing about big bears, they sometimes take a while to figure out they are dead. They can cause some damage in a hurry if you don't C Spine them. Big heavy bullets and big bears are a good thing. But opportunity and situation come into place as well. We have taken some pretty Grizzlies on sheep hunts with calibers I sure would not choose to use for bear alone. But, sufficient with a well placed shot from a elevated position that allows for observation and follow up shots.

My neighbors guide coastal brown bear. They ask their customers to bring minimum .375 with 270 gr. soft nose bullets. I think that setup fits their particular hunting style as most bears are taken right before it gets too dark to shoot. That and it’s very brushy country. They like to get close and hit them hard the first time. If there’s some open ground I could see the appeal of something on the smaller side. I hunt deer in brown bear country and I feel pretty good with 35 Whelen.
I think it’s absurd that a guide would require a client bring a rifle they most likely have no experience with. I’ve seen a few coastal brown bears dropped just fine with 300/338 win mags, plus 338 ultra mag type calibers.

So I'm a little bored, and started reading through the B+C records. Low and behold, who knew! The world's largest *entered into the B+C* Brown Bear was taken with the ole 30-06! That makes it officially the best round for the species right? Haha

Anyone want to volunteers to shoot a world record Brown with a 30-06! Lol

I'm curious what the record Polar bear was shot with. Anyone know? More than anything it's just a fun fact, and yes, the title is supposed to be click bait.
Here's a very large grizzly bear that was shot with a .22 LR!