"The Best Killer Elk Rifles from a Guide's Perspective"

hobbes

WKR
Velocity is only part of an energy equation. Manufactures publish required velocity for bullet performance because that is what they can measure and report the easiest. I've said it before and it's typically ignored, but no transfer of energy and the bullet doesn't leave the barrel, travel down range, expand, create a wound cavity. This is not speculation...it is absolute fact.

How much energy does it take to kill an elk?
More now than ever before. Elk have built up a resistance to bullets through natural selection over the past couple hundred years. For now I'm considering switching to armor piercing rounds since I only shoot a 6.5 but if that's not enough I'll have to explore a .416 Rigby.

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
How much energy does it take to kill an elk?
The necessary energy to kill an elk is not my point. It's to argue against this idea that energy isn't important. There is some energy level required for that bullet to perform. The manufacturer has said xxxx fps for performance because at that velocity they've determined their bullet will perform upon impact. It performs because at that velocity there is enough energy transfered upon impact to result in performance of their bullet. It will not disintegrate and it will not punch through like an fmj but will expand as needed and penetrate leaving a devastating wound channel provided the object it hits isn't stout enough to resist, like say a solid chunk of concrete. That is irrelevant of the amount of energy to kill an elk.

Velocity doesn't open a bullet. If it did, it would explode when it leaves the barrel. Velocity is just part of an energy equation. There is no way around this need for the transfer of energy.

It's just simpler to express the velocity required.

I'm also not arguing against the 6.5 or any specific energy value, but energy is absolutely required.

wweaver

FNG
The high SD is what makes the 6.5 cartridges effective, and people shoot them accurately because of the light recoil. But I agree with others shoot the largest caliber you can effectively. Elk are not deer and you want them on the ground asap if possible.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The necessary energy to kill an elk is not my point. It's to argue against this idea that energy isn't important. There is some energy level required for that bullet to perform. The manufacturer has said xxxx fps for performance because at that velocity they've determined their bullet will perform upon impact. It performs because at that velocity there is enough energy transfered upon impact to result in performance of their bullet. It will not disintegrate and it will not punch through like an fmj but will expand as needed and penetrate leaving a devastating wound channel provided the object it hits isn't stout enough to resist, like say a solid chunk of concrete. That is irrelevant of the amount of energy to kill an elk.

Velocity doesn't open a bullet. If it did, it would explode when it leaves the barrel. Velocity is just part of an energy equation. There is no way around this need for the transfer of energy.

It's just simpler to express the velocity required.

I'm also not arguing against the 6.5 or any specific energy value, but energy is absolutely required.
I agree.

But to answer my own question. It doesn't take much energy to kill an elk.

The Guide

WKR
I agree.

But to answer my own question. It doesn't take much energy to kill an elk.
My relative would agree. She had elk eating their horse hay next to the house. She shot one with a break action .177 pellet rifle at 30 yards or so like she had done hundreds of times before to chase them off. The cow ran off 10 to 15 feet and bedded down. Couple of minutes later her man got home and used the truck to run the rest off. That one cow was dead. That pellet slipped in between a couple ribs and into the lungs and was dead. All from a $100 pellet rifle from Walmart. Hit an elk well, don't scare the heck out of them, and they die pretty easy.

Jay

Reactions: Duh

TaperPin

WKR
If we're doing the "your logic to the extreme" thing then we'd be shooting 50 BMG. But it turns out that's a lazy and nonsensical way to try to argue a point.
If .22 hornet velocities are only about 200 yards slower than the 223 with the same bullet, and the 223 shooters are claiming it’s a 500 yard cartridge, why then isn’t the .22 hornet a 300 yard cartridge? Are a large number of short range 223 shooters using way too much gun?

The Guide

WKR
If .22 hornet velocities are only about 200 yards slower than the 223 with the same bullet, and the 223 shooters are claiming it’s a 500 yard cartridge, why then isn’t the .22 hornet a 300 yard cartridge? Are a large number of short range 223 shooters using way too much gun?
Makes me want to go drag the old 22 Hornet out of the safe and put a scope back on it to fill some tags. I think I even have the perfect scope for it too. I have a ton of PPU soft point ammo for it too. I'll see how far I can bang steel with it first.

Jay

TaperPin

WKR
Makes me want to go drag the old 22 Hornet out of the safe and put a scope back on it to fill some tags. I think I even have the perfect scope for it too. I have a ton of PPU soft point ammo for it too. I'll see how far I can bang steel with it first.

Jay
Be prepared for elk to drop in their tracks! lol

S-3 ranch

WKR
I really don’t understand the whole .223 as a elk cartridge, I do if done in a huge alfalfa field to lung punch and hope they will die in the field
I am a Roark & Taylor , Keith school of thought, use enough gun , .338, 35whelen, .300wm . Mainly because I hunt more nilgai then elk
but definitely won’t bother me to use a 25-06 , 270 , 7x57 , 8mm , @ normal ranges with heavy for caliber bullets, for a elk hunt

LoggerDan

WKR
These guys dont hunt in the Alaskan bush on foot by themselves. Or pack moose meat out at night in brown bear country.

Duh

WKR
My relative would agree. She had elk eating their horse hay next to the house. She shot one with a break action .177 pellet rifle at 30 yards or so like she had done hundreds of times before to chase them off. The cow ran off 10 to 15 feet and bedded down. Couple of minutes later her man got home and used the truck to run the rest off. That one cow was dead. That pellet slipped in between a couple ribs and into the lungs and was dead. All from a $100 pellet rifle from Walmart. Hit an elk well, don't scare the heck out of them, and they die pretty easy.

Jay
Hahaha that’s got to be the ultimate hold my beer moment. Ooops

The Guide

WKR
Hahaha that’s got to be the ultimate hold my beer moment. Ooops
Ya, when she called the game warden he just gave her a kill permit to shoot 1 per day for up to 5 elk. Told her to use an actual rifle next time. Took the elk to town and gave it to the food bank. They killed a couple more before the elk figure out one of the neighbors had hay, didn't live on the property, and weren't going to shoot at them.

Jay