The Best Money Can Buy

If money were no option, what specific hunting/outdoors equipment would be at the top of your list?

My dad has cancer, my mom is already gone, and he’s healthy enough to hunt, he’s got his own ground, and he’s also got quite a bit saved away that I feel like he’s earned the right to enjoy in a little bit more of a “spendy” manner. He hunts whitetail, turkey, and travels on big game hunting trips (though that might not be an option much longer for all we know). If you were sitting there at a computer in that same situation, please name off some of the items you’d order first.

Curhunter

FNG
If it has to be gear I would have a custom rifle built.

To me a once in a lifetime hunt with family would be my top choice.
Not long after losing my dad to cancer I went on a guided hunt. On that trip I met a father and his 2 adult sons. The dad had been on this hunt before and wanted to share the experience with his sons.
It was great sharing a camp with these guys and seeing how much they enjoyed their time together.

Trips. I’d be elk, sheep, and goat hunting all fall and fly fishing fishing the rest of the year. Maybe try to knock out a turkey slam or something too in the spring.

If that didn’t take all my money I wouldn’t let myself use anything except exactly what I wish I had. New bow, custom rifle, alpha glass, top tier fly rods, mako reels, and a new boat and car.

Last edited:

jimh406

WKR
I don't think anything that has much of a lead time makes sense.

Instead, I suggest short term hunting and fishing trips and any other kind of vacation he will do. I hope his treatment goes well, but if it doesn't, it would be better to get some up front benefits soon.

OP
T
Does he already have a UTV and a comfy enclosed blind to hunt out of?
Haha YUP! 2 of each in fact. Great call though !

To everyone saying go on dream hunts….I’m in total agreement, except that is not really an option right now. I’m just really hoping he gets through all his treatments and has enough energy to mount a new scope to a new rifle, sight it in, all that good stuff.

To those saying “custom rifle”, who would you have build it? Give me a link or a starting point. I truly appreciate these responses, but I’m not making myself clear enough….it can’t really be a long term project or something that requires setting dates in the future. I guess I’m looking for more of a Christmas list of product links.

Maybe consider translating everyone who's saying "dream hunt" as "go with experiences over things". I'd agree with them. But...as you say, there may not be time for a dream hunt.

However, there may be a cool way to combine the two: get him a killer rifle, and take a training course together.

Check out something like FTW Ranch: https://ftwsaam.com/saam-courses/

Huntndog

FNG
Experiences are best. I would plan a pheasant,goose and trap shooting trip to a first class lodge . That way everyone can enjoy together.

If it has to be gear I would have a custom rifle built.

To me a once in a lifetime hunt with family would be my top choice.
Not long after losing my dad to cancer I went on a guided hunt. On that trip I met a father and his 2 adult sons. The dad had been on this hunt before and wanted to share the experience with his sons.
It was great sharing a camp with these guys and seeing how much they enjoyed their time together.
My man, we share a very similar story. After talking about hunting together out West like Dad did in the 80s, we lost him to cancer before he and us 3 boys could go together. A few years later, I lost my oldest brother to cancer as well.

My middle brother and me went on a guided hunt in the Bob in '21. We shared camp with 3 generations of fellas- Grandpa, Dad, and son, from Arkansas, and it was awesome getting to see them share the hunt together.

Mt Al

WKR
Depends how he likes to hunt and what type of guns he's into, but if money were no object and shorter-range hunts for hogs or anything out of blinds is on the menu in the future, a nice double rifle might be an option.

Those can be frustrating but rewarding projects, or you can buy one already regulated and ready to take on an 'easy' hunt from a blind over a feeder. Prices are all over the map, all the up to stratospheric, but they can be fun to hunt with!

One thing us brothers did during my late brother's last few months was to go to FL in late January. A close friend took us inshore and offshore fishing, duck hunting, and hog hunting over 5 days. The weather was beautiful, and each day was a new adventure. It was a bucket list trip for my late brother and those memories I'll never forget.

Scottyboy

WKR
Haha YUP! 2 of each in fact. Great call though !

To everyone saying go on dream hunts….I’m in total agreement, except that is not really an option right now. I’m just really hoping he gets through all his treatments and has enough energy to mount a new scope to a new rifle, sight it in, all that good stuff.

To those saying “custom rifle”, who would you have build it? Give me a link or a starting point. I truly appreciate these responses, but I’m not making myself clear enough….it can’t really be a long term project or something that requires setting dates in the future. I guess I’m looking for more of a Christmas list of product links.
Call Unknown Munitions for the rifle.

Scottyboy

WKR
And to swim against the stream and knowing I’ll catch a lot of shit….

Go to Texas and let him run wild, high fence or not. This would also presumably lend itself better to someone who potentially may have limited mobility of some sort. I don’t want to argue “ethics” or whatever, but if you want a guaranteed hunt (not killing, but out on the field with a tag in your pocket with your dandy new rifle…) this would be the way to go. My .02

fshaw

WKR
If he’s a fisherman an offshore trip for big fish an a small specialty charter boat is pretty memorable. There are whitetail options that aren’t physically rigorous that may give him an opportunity at a bigger buck than he normally hunts. As a dad myself, I’d bet that he’d rather make memories with you than take game. Make memories instead of buying gear. You’ll be glad you did as will he.

sram9102

WKR
My dad was never in the picture but if I had a fall to plan with my grandpa I think we would chase the waterfowl migration from Canada to the gulf. With some easy upland hunting thrown in. Maybe some fishing just for good measure. Most of the older guys I have hunted with would rather see birds decoy and good dogs work than pull the trigger on anything.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk