The Cooler Thread........

I did a quick Amazon check and the Igloo Polar 120 is going for $69. Supposed to keep ice for 5 days in 90 degree temps.

Coleman marine 150 is going for $119.
They’re great coolers for the price. In my experience ones like that just don’t last as long as a rotomolded and it’s a little more work to keep ice as long. IE wrapping in a quilt, keeping in the shade, or adding insulation. These cheaper rotos are nice because I can leave them iced up and ready to go at the trail head in the bed of my pickup. We always leave two in the back of the truck ready to go.

I invested in a Yeti 35 and a 75 last year. I plan on ordering probably another 75 this year or a 110.

Yes they're expensive. Yeah there's probably other brands that work well too.

That little 35 is great! We actually packed it into camp last year... OK well the quarter mile from where we had to leave the ATV. Coming back to cold beers and a block of cheese was great!

The bigger 75 was amazing for keeping boned out meat cold. For a mature bull you'd definitely need two. I do prefer the two smaller coolers vs one big one. Easier to move around when loaded. You can fit about 100lb of boned out meat and ice in the 75.

The biggest benefit to a high end cooler though is the durability. These things are over built. Their a tank. Now I've had some good Coleman/Igloos but they're definitely not as sturdy. And they're not griz proof.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One to consider is the Cator Gator coolers. They have a 110 that's 260 bucks. Been using it for a few years. Holds ice just as long as my Rtic and Yeti coolers. Have the 145 Rtic. Catorgator 100/110 (mine is stamped 110 even though advertised as 100 now), the yeti 65, along with some of the big Coleman coolers.

Last edited:

JakeSCH

WKR
I had was running an igloo 65, 120, and 165 qt. I fill them with frozen water bottles and 1 gal milk / water jugs. I refuse to open the bigger coolers until absolutely needed unless temps get below freezing at night, then I will crack them open.

I will usually have food / drinks in the 65

Last year I bought the grizzly 165 qt cooler, not needed for just transporting but it is great for wet aging and holds ice very well.

Spring bear has proven the most difficult for me as it spoils quickly and there has been some trial and error over the years. This method also works for caribou and moose,, so should be fine for elk too. I've settled on a 200gt cabelas cooler and a yeti 65. I pre-chill both with a sacrificial bag of ice starting the night before. A week or so prior to the hunt I'll also freeze enough bottles of various sizes that will fill the 200qt cooler at least half way. Right before heading out I dump the sacrificial ice, fill the large cooler with the frozen bottles and a couple of bags of ice(not broken up). The yeti gets cold beer, some cold groceries and packed full of loose ice. When successful I always spray the quarters with citric acid and allow the meat to air cool and dry prior to placing in the large cooler with the bottles. That cooler will not get opened again unless it is to add more meat and it will get stashed in the darkest shade I can find. Be sure that spot is shaded all day as the sun moves across the sky. If we end up killing enough bears that the large cooler is full, we drink the beer and add the surplus meat to the yeti. We still let it cool and dry, but we also place it in ziplocs prior to puttimg it on ice so it doesn't get wet. I also never just pile the meat in either cooler. I always place frozen bottles between the quarters, otherwise they won't cool properly. If hunting near a cold clear creek I will bring high quality roll top dry bags to take the place of the coolers allowing me to submerge the meat in the cold water, it's a perk of the very cold waterways in Alaska.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
What does the citiric acid do?

Sturgies

FNG
I went the used chest freezer route. As cheap as coleman extremes with all the benefits of having chest freezer space at home and ability to run off a generator on long trips.
In 2019, I tagged out and had meat hauled to the truck by day 2 of an 8 day hunt and spent the next few days taking my time driving back east, checking out new areas, processing meat and eating like a king and running the genny as desired

I keep almost every piece of hunting/outdoor equipment in a very large cooler, it’s crazy how many little things o have amassed over the years

Plenty of coolers on the market work, but like others have said, I have a couple YETI's and have been very impressed with their performance.

Ours get used a lot, not just for hunting but also for our longhorn beef business. We deliver processed beef weekly and sometimes drive a few hours with up to a full steer and with proper prepping, they stay frozen!

The 105 & 210 are great