Yeti's new Hopper lineup review

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeti has recently re-released their famed hopper M30 as well as added some additions. The additions include an M15, which sports the same general concept and design as its bigger brother. They also added an M12, which is a small backpack cooler.

1588eece0f27b7da461a8147d1db3985.jpg

I'll be testing all three of these however, I wanted to post my initial thoughts.

At first glance, I can not tell a difference between the previous M30 and the new model. The M30 has served me well over the years for an "inside the truck" cooler when traveling. I will do a side-to-side comparison of the two to spot any differences.
Here is the M30 soft-sided cooler
b296d18918d76e71e9b3ccc7b136c7ae.jpg

The M15 obviously holds roughly half as much. at first, I was thinking it was going to be too small. however, this cooler I can quickly see this getting more use than the m30. This cooler seems to be a great size for heading out for the day with the family, or even taking your lunch to work. Basically, anything you would need a cooler for that is a day trip. Anything longer I would want the M30. Here is a link to the Yeti M15 cooler

Lastly, the M12 Backpack cooler will be very handy for my family. My kids keep me busy with sports after school and on the weekends. This cooler will be used for soccer games and MTB races often. I like the fact you can carry the cooler hands-free allowing me to carry gear, equipment, or my wife's chair. Here is a link to Yeti M12 Backpack cooler

what's your thoughts?

Be curious to hear how you like the closure on this version, which I think is slightly updated. I am still rocking my zippered model but have heard of quite a few failures, a couple among friends and on the interwebs. FWIW I am a yeti fan but have found that offerings from artic and pelican seem to work as well or nearly as well as lower price points.

BBob

WKR
Still ridiculously priced! RTIC for less than half the price of the yeti. RTIC has a zipper, no magnet closure. I can see where there’d be times that magnet closure would be nice like say driving when you just want to reach in and grab something. Almost no way with the zipper. You pretty much need to stop to get them open. I’ve done it but I wouldn’t call it a very safe operation while driving.

Last edited:

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
the magnetic closure was recalled, sent mine in for credit.

mthayr

WKR
Agreed, when you are trying to load it you almost need another set of hands to keep it open.
They changed that design after the original. The 2.0 design would stay open, but both used button magnets for closure (that somehow, somewhere, some idiot could possibly cut out of the cooler, ingest, and have cause intestinal distress - hence the recall).

The 3.0 (newest) version has strips of magnets from end-to-end, and does indeed stay open without having to hold it that way, but closes easily and securely. Look for a sale and you can usually find them for 25% off (I did). Personally i have the RTIC soft (and hard) sided coolers, and IMO the (latest) Hopper is a better design, and holds ice longer, than the RTICs.

If you haven't physically seen and held the Hopper you should check it out before passing judgement.

ddub

FNG
Still ridiculously priced! RTIC for less than half the price of the yeti. RTIC has a zipper, no magnet closure. I can see where there’d be times that magnet closure would be nice like say driving when you just want to reach in and grab something. Almost no way with the zipper. You pretty much need to stop to get them open. I’ve done it but I wouldn’t call it a very safe operation while driving.
I think Canyon is a better company and packs nicer.

Scored a Coho from Costco. I’ll call it a purse cooler as it doesn’t have a flat top but does have the soft sides. Fractional in cost, zippered and works well. I’ll wager it holds ice just as long.