The death of the retail store

I stopped shopping at the local sporting goods store because I got tired of arguing with the guys at the counter over what ammo I "should" buy versus what I'm asking for. I see the box of rounds behind you give me that box I don't care what rounds you shot in 2005 on your elk hunt.

On a recent stop in one of my local gun stores I asked to check out a tikka .243. The guy hands it to me and says he's not sure why I'm interested because I "could barely shoot a deer with it." Then, he goes on rambling about those damn 6.5 Creedmoors that "everyone thinks they can shoot elephants with."

Swamp Fox

WKR
[...] I worked there for 9 years and the entire time I was there all I was ever told is "customer service" and the "we serve the customer." During the covid ammo sale craze people were buying 9mm Makrov and .327 Federal thinking it was for their 9mm and .357 mag. I would move it to the other side of the shelf, away from the 9mm and .357 so people didnt get them confused. The store manager saw me do it and asked me why? I told him and he told me that if people arent smart enough to know the difference, thats their problem. So apparently serving the customer is second to making money.

Long way of saying that while most of the employees are dumber than a box of rocks. Most of the general public isn’t far behind them.

<iframe width="1044" height="588" src="
" title="I know more than you" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Swamp Fox

WKR
Back when the Ford Super Duty's came out in 1999, I asked a salesman exactly what differences there were between the F-250 and F-350. His first reply......"Oh, the F-350 is a lot more powerful". SMH

Did you ask "By how much?" -- Because if he didn't answer, "By 100 effs ..." then you would know if he was just jacking you around or if he had a sense of humor that you should reward by buying one or the other. from him.

--Support your local comedians--

grfox92

WKR
On a recent stop in one of my local gun stores I asked to check out a tikka .243. The guy hands it to me and says he's not sure why I'm interested because I "could barely shoot a deer with it." Then, he goes on rambling about those damn 6.5 Creedmoors that "everyone thinks they can shoot elephants with."
At my local shop recently both guys behind the counter couldn't stop professing their love for Begara and how they were unequivocally the best factory rifles money can buy. I couldn't get away fast enough.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
At my local shop recently both guys behind the counter couldn't stop professing their love for Begara and how they were unequivocally the best factory rifles money can buy. I couldn't get away fast enough.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
At least it wasn’t salvages

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Had a guy come in one day that even after two of us told him multiple times 7mm weatherby mag ammo would not work in his 7 rem mag. Yes, I understand it’s the same bullet but it’s not the same cartridge. He told us we were stupid and bought it anyways. Watched the news for a week or so after that one.

Had a guy come in and was tired of trying to find 7-08 ammo and wanted something similar (he specifically stated in ballistics and recoil) but with better ammo availability. Two of the kids working there were trying to sell him a 7mag because it was the same bullet. Still not sure why you wouldn’t suggest a .308.

Got in trouble after a customer chewed my ass up, down, left and right because someone, not me, told him we had lead free .300WSM ammo (we didnt) and he drove over an hour to get it. After a solid five minutes of getting a lecture, he asked “how this could happen?” I responded with “**** if I know. You should see the stuff I deal with everyday.” Apparently that was the wrong answer.

I worked there for 9 years and the entire time I was there all I was ever told is "customer service" and the "we serve the customer." During the covid ammo sale craze people were buying 9mm Makrov and .327 Federal thinking it was for their 9mm and .357 mag. I would move it to the other side of the shelf, away from the 9mm and .357 so people didnt get them confused. The store manager saw me do it and asked me why? I told him and he told me that if people arent smart enough to know the difference, thats their problem. So apparently serving the customer is second to making money.

Long way of saying that while most of the employees are dumber than a box of rocks. Most of the general public isn’t far behind them.
The 9x18 confusion made me chuckle. My first assignment my roommate had a Makarov, and I found a really good deal on 9x18 at a gun shop a few hours from where we lived. I called my roommate and asked if he wanted me to snag a case or two for him, he said absolutely.

I grab two cases and go up to the register. Guy behind the counter starts telling me that I am buying the wrong ammo. We proceed to go back and forth for 10 minutes with him almost refusing to sell it to me because he was convinced I needed 9x19. Finally I said “If I’m truly buying the wrong ammo, isn’t that my problem? Do you want my money or not?” Manager told him to sell it to me.

If it wasn’t half the price I had seen it everywhere else I would have just left.

CorbLand

WKR
The 9x18 confusion made me chuckle. My first assignment my roommate had a Makarov, and I found a really good deal on 9x18 at a gun shop a few hours from where we lived. I called my roommate and asked if he wanted me to snag a case or two for him, he said absolutely.

I grab two cases and go up to the register. Guy behind the counter starts telling me that I am buying the wrong ammo. We proceed to go back and forth for 10 minutes with him almost refusing to sell it to me because he was convinced I needed 9x19. Finally I said “If I’m truly buying the wrong ammo, isn’t that my problem? Do you want my money or not?” Manager told him to sell it to me.

If it wasn’t half the price I had seen it everywhere else I would have just left.
I would bet we sold 5-7 cases of that stuff and if one box of it was truly for a Makrov, I would be surprised.

The only thing worthwhile in Cabelas anymore is if they have some of the old photos of the founders’ family.

Scheels online for the win. Don’t even have to go to the big city; when wife goes they’ll even bring the bag to her car.

I miss Herters.