The dumbest sh!t hunters say...

Well, I guess I’ll be one of the odd men out, on this one. I thought the writer came across as an elitist holier than thou smug SOB.

Should you be proud to be a hunter? Hell yeah. But judging others hunting ability for enjoying the process (animal or not) shows a general lack of personal self-confidence. And tells me you'd be a piss-poor hunting partner if times were tough. And that's some dumb sh!t.

"I don't shoot a large caliber rifle because it damages too much meat..." The difference between a 0.30 hole vs 0.270 vs 7mm really makes a difference on meat damage? Perhaps if you shoot them in the butt or shoulder vs. the lungs/heart.....

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
"I don't shoot a large caliber rifle because it damages too much meat..." The difference between a 0.30 hole vs 0.270 vs 7mm really makes a difference on meat damage? Perhaps if you shoot them in the butt or shoulder vs. the lungs/heart.....
Agree. It depends on where that bullet hits. it hits the front shoulder first it is going to do damage if it is bone that bullet hits first. to far back and guts don't stop anything.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
You can't eat the antlers-. Really means someone shot a young/small buck or a doe and they feel like they have to justify it.

"Harvested"
I have accidentally put a few fawns through the haybine. Sometimes You can't see the little buggers even when you're watching for them. Tough to call it harvesting even though that's the closest approximation I have to "harvesting deer". After going through the rollers there isn't anything to salvage or harvest..

"Caught". Used in relation to hunting I've been asked if I "caught a deer" when I went hunting. As if I ran the animal down and tackled it...come to think of it, I did do that once but the deer had been hit by a car and was in deep snow.
Can't eat the antlers. I am in agreement with you. My first twenty years of hunting with my family we shot cows and a little bulls every now and then. "meat hunters". Funny as hell to me now. And just so nobody gets pissed, I don't care why people hunt. Everybody has their own reason. I am happy for you, as long as it isn't sport killing or to kill something just to do it. Extreme poaching.

I love hunting antlers. First of all it is more challenging. And then if successful, it is a lot more work ( they are bigger). I can field dress a cow in an about hour and be packing. The biggest bull took me around four hours (it was steep and nasty) It took almost a half an hour to roll the bastard over. And I did finishing caping him.
However, The antler hunting if successful provides a lot more meat. And you get cool set of antlers to do what you want.

Like I said I don't care why people hunt. I just find it annoying (and this happens alot with folks) when the I don't hunt antler folks try to make me feel inferior. "oh, you are trophy hunter." with their noses in the air. It reminds of the eighties and early nineties when the gucci flyfisherman took over the west. I used love seeing them and I would be in cut off sweats and converse. And at least two fish were getting whacked over the head and going into my creel, with them watching me do it. These are the probably the same folks who order trout at a restaurant.

Man, caught myself rambling. And yes, if i have cow tag I will not hesitate.

"Tag out" or "tagged out". Just say I got one, or we each got one. Not sure why that bothers me so much but it does.
"Harvest" really grinds my gears. You killed it, plain and simple. Don't lessen the act.
An old non hunting friend of mine used to jokingly ask me things like "did you murder any deer this fall" or "when are you going deer murdering"? I always thought that was funny. It's the opposite of saying harvest.

DanimalW

WKR
When you got photos of a buck at 1.5-6.5 years and it is finally big enough to shoot - so you harvest it. There is no hunting involved.

The only thing I really agreed with was the jab at the needing more hunters thing. The only folks who need more hunters are making money off em.
I always think it sounds stupid when people age bucks. I really don’t care how old your pet deer is. If you really want to impress me with your knowledge of your private deer herd, then tell me their actual birthdays. “We call the buck in that trail cam photo Cinco de Mayo.”

I don’t even know how old my dog is.