The Gear List Thread

I thought it might be interesting to have a thread for us Lightweight-Minded hunters to share our gear lists (lighterpacks, whatever), I have enjoyed searching back through some older threads for ideas, but it would great to have one thread where they were all compiled. If anyone is interested, post you quarry/hunt, location, and time of year. I'm still tweaking mine, but wanted to see some other lists as well.

Scouting/Hog Hunting/Turkey Hunting base gear

Spring/fall

Southeast

Notes: Cooking will just be rehydrating.

This is for a fair weather trip (IE little to no rain in the forecast)

I need to upgrade my tarp to something a bit bigger/lighter, that should save me 6+ ounces. I also need to decide on my bug strategy as far as a bivy/net/inner tent.

Still working my worn insulation- need to add a baselayer bottom, as well as an insulated pant and a fleece layer if It's cold or I take this list out west.

Last edited:

xcutter

WKR
I thought I had a pretty light setup but man your killing it. How comfortable is your sleeping setup? That's my heaviest area to work on.

OP
Ferrulewax
I thought I had a pretty light setup but man your killing it. How comfortable is your sleeping setup? That's my heaviest area to work on.
I haven’t had a chance to use the new quilt- but otherwise it does great. One thing I have working for me weight wise is our mild weather here in the south. The bag is only rated to about 35-30 degrees, as is the pad because it’s uninsulated.

Edit: Tried the bag out last night in the mid-low 30s..... It's probably a 40 degree bag, lol.

Last edited:

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
That's a very impressive gear list! Well done!

I'm in Phoenix, AZ but typically hunt early archery in Colorado and late season muleys here in AZ. I've based my gear list on hunts with nights in the mid-20's. I can always drop the extra layers if I know it's going to be warmer.

This is my base late season hunting list (and backpacking) and will modify as needed: Lighterpack
This is my base early season hunting list: Lighterpack
Some notes/goals:
I don't always carry the tent, unless I'm going solo. I have a few friends with tipi tents that we use. I'll take the poles/stakes for the tipi to offset some of the load. If I take the tent, the tyvek groundsheet stays at home. I'm also considering cutting it down to save some weight. Additionally, I'm considering moving to a tarp for the solo trips. I prefer cowboy camping when I can, so the tent rarely comes out, unless the weather doesn't want to cooperate.

Last edited:

UCFJed

FNG
I thought it might be interesting to have a thread for us Lightweight-Minded hunters to share our gear lists (lighterpacks, whatever), I have enjoyed searching back through some older threads for ideas, but it would great to have one thread where they were all compiled. If anyone is interested, post you quarry/hunt, location, and time of year. I'm still tweaking mine, but wanted to see some other lists as well.

Scouting/Hog Hunting/Turkey Hunting base gear

Spring/fall

Southeast

Notes: Cooking will just be rehydrating.

This is for a fair weather trip (IE little to no rain in the forecast)

I need to upgrade my tarp to something a bit bigger/lighter, that should save me 6+ ounces. I also need to decide on my bug strategy as far as a bivy/net/inner tent.

Still working my worn insulation- need to add a baselayer bottom, as well as an insulated pant and a fleece layer if It's cold or I take this list out west.
Thanks for sharing, couple of thoughts:
  • What game bags are you using that only weigh 1.6oz?
  • What do you have in your first aid kit that is only 0.8 oz?
  • 2L of water may be a a little low, at least it would be for me. Especially if rehydrating food. Obviously if you are hiking/camping where there is a ton of water access, not a big deal.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
5 day deer hunt, elk would be basically the same

couple of notes- my sleep system includes a FF Flicker 30 degree bag combined with the 50 degree Apex quilt which rates to roughly 10 degrees, the Apex quilt is worn quite often when glassing in cold- double duty

in Montana my rain gear often gets left behind and substituted for a Sitka Flash saving roughly a pound

list is all in, including weight of rifle and optics

v4AKZhk.png

httqAhg.png

Ne8XZCP.png

NhQnnKA.png

OP
Ferrulewax
Thanks for sharing, couple of thoughts:
  • What game bags are you using that only weigh 1.6oz?
  • What do you have in your first aid kit that is only 0.8 oz?
  • 2L of water may be a a little low, at least it would be for me. Especially if rehydrating food. Obviously if you are hiking/camping where there is a ton of water access, not a big deal.
Game bags are for a smaller hog or deer deboned- not big enough for a bigger game animal. They are the UL hiker brand on Ebay.

First aid Kit isn't much honesty- I probably need to rework it. My philosophy is only carry things to either a) make me more comfortable (ie: moleskin, Band-Aids, sunscreen) or b) give me time to make it out of the field without dying (celox, tourniquet). If it is something uncomfortable enough to send me home but not bad enough to be life threatening I'll just head to the vehicle. Again, this is on short trips in the southeast, so not terribly far from the vehicle.

2L is kinda my base, I'll add water depending on the trip but water is typically pretty plentiful here.

OP
Ferrulewax
5 day deer hunt, elk would be basically the same

couple of notes- my sleep system includes a FF Flicker 30 degree bag combined with the 50 degree Apex quilt which rates to roughly 10 degrees, the Apex quilt is worn quite often when glassing in cold- double duty

in Montana my rain gear often gets left behind and substituted for a Sitka Flash saving roughly a pound

list is all in, including weight of rifle and optics
I was hoping you'd chime in. You have one of the most dialed gear lists I've seen.

JohnB

WKR
Here is where I'm at for good weather bear hunting or high hunt mule deer in eastern Washington. If weather gets a bit dodgy I'll have a heavier bino harness and better rain pants and coat and potentially a step up to a tent.

A book usually seems to make it's way in. Rifle weight is an educated guess due to my POS drug scale not going high enough but from what I've read 7.5 lbs seems reasonable for a T3X coupled with a 3.5-10 Leupold and sling. I just did hiking clothes and shoes as base weight. No food, water or medicinal whiskey included either.

OP
Ferrulewax
Here's my tentative list for an upcoming 3 day Turkey Trip. No need for the heavy pack for weight bearing, and my plan is to move fast and light and camp wherever I end up. If rain is in the forecast I'll add some better rain gear. As a self declared gear head I spend way to much time playing with gear lists.

Main things not on the list are a pack liner and Knife

Claypa

FNG
Bump for anyone else inclined to add. Appreciate being able to read these lighterpack lists as I round out my gear

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
gear list looks good; I don't think I'd let my better half see the price column though :ROFLMAO:

gear list looks good; I don't think I'd let my better half see the price column though :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, she did see it.
She asked, "Why would you do that?!" She keeps bringing it up, mostly in the context that I will be missing our anniversary on Aug. 9th, like I do every year to be out hunting sheep... and the fact that there has yet to be a little blue Tiffany box given to her on one of those occasions..

wildcat33

WKR
Anyone have a "summer backpacking" list that they would care to share? Headed to sawtooths in a few weeks. I've been packing the same stuff for years, looking to reconsider what I "need".

JohnB

WKR
Here's my summer list. I generally try to avoid times that bugs are horrendous or camp in areas where there are fewer bugs. https://lighterpack.com/r/2kagwn

Edit: If things were ideal I'd have a lighter pack, sleeping bag and puffy coat but always seem to spend my money on other things. I like in eastern WA and this covers me for our summer time good weather from July-September.

Last edited: