THE most important factor in Bowhunting

Beendare

WKR
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT CONCEPT IN BOWHUNTIING....and even some of the best skip the steps necessary- thx to Michael Waddell for pointing this out. Waddell loses a Booner on a layup shot due to wonky arrow flight

Its numero uno- you have to test your hunting setup for perfect BH arrow flight.

Waddell is shooting that fold back mech head number one. .... and if you watch the shot At 2:00 in with the youtube playback settings at .25- super slo mo- you can clearly see the arrow nok wagging wildly from side to side- horrible arrow flight Before the arrow hits.

When an arrow is flying that poorly you get horrible penetration no matter what the set up.....as the rear of the arrow isnt pushing - its vectoring away from the Point of contact like a lever.

Whether it was due to 1) Nerves in the shot creating a form error, 2) Lack of Arrow tuning of his set up, or 3) one of those blades deployed on the shot making that arrow fly wonky..... we will never know. Its not the bow, Poor Arrow Flight Kills penetration.

I’ve seen the same thing happened many times thanks to Michael for getting it on video.

Dont assume your BHs fly like FPs.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
This is a Crude illustration.
C70ECC21-2387-4DF2-BEBE-F7ED30761A7F.jpeg

The best analogy I’ve seen; Think of your arrow as a line of ball bearings. When the arrow is flying perfectly every ball bearing is pushing the one in front of it maximizing your BHs penetration.

When the arrow strikes even at a slight angle the arrow behind the BH- that rear arrow force acts like a lever counteracting good penetration.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Looking at that 10" cut in the side, that BH might have deflected right off a rib......which I'm sure a wonky arrow would make even worse.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
i’m not where i can watch the video but this is a good thread
thx Robby

It’s difficult to see with 100% certainty.
It’s easy to see the arrow wobble badly when it strikes, an indication somethings not right.....he hit rib cage. Arrows will do that on solid bone.... but the rib cage?

Regardless the reason- Ive seen this poor penetration a few times over the years due to bad arrow flight and its usually easily solved with the right setup.

No offense intended to Waddell, he is one heck of a shot and a hell of a good hunter. The guy is sponsored with new products yearly- It could be that he just didn’t have time to do thorough testing with that light bow, arrow and BH Setup.

it’s a heartbreaker for sure

Last edited:

whaack

WKR
I’m not saying Waddell’s bow wasn’t out of tune, but I’m guessing it would be pretty unlikely. I am 99% sure that Travis T-bone Turner tunes all those guys bows. And he knows what he’s doing. I think it was just the reality of that Broadhead catching the rib or hide or something else that caused it to not penetrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I’m not saying Waddell’s bow wasn’t out of tune, but I’m guessing it would be pretty unlikely. I am 99% sure that Travis T-bone Turner tunes all those guys bows. And he knows what he’s doing. I think it was just the reality of that Broadhead catching the rib or hide or something else that caused it to not penetrate.
that^ very well could be.

It’s common knowledge those guys shoot low pound bows.... and light arrows- at least that was the case the last time I talked to him many years ago In the airport.

Thats all part of the setup though, right? Grin

I do think we can rule out pressure. Yes he was breathing hard and yes his bow was wobbling all over when he drew it back....but I seriously doubt Waddell buckled under pressure, the guy is money.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
A friend was in camp with the Drurys and was shocked at the set-ups they shot to facilitate filming (low poundage + light arrows + openers = questionable outcomes).

This is a Crude illustration.
View attachment 258774

The best analogy I’ve seen; Think of your arrow as a line of ball bearings. When the arrow is flying perfectly every ball bearing is pushing the one in front of it maximizing your BHs penetration.

When the arrow strikes even at a slight angle the arrow behind the BH- that rear arrow force acts like a lever counteracting good penetration.
I think what happened on his shot is that the mechanical hit with one blade first because of the sharp angle, this causes a long cut and zero penetration with that one blade open basically just dragging/sclicing across the surface.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
light poundage bows and arrows and mechs seems like a problem waiting to happen to me.

Heck I shoot 70 lbs with 485 grain arrows with big COC fixed blades. I do like the trajectory of light setups though.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
A friend was in camp with the Drurys and was shocked at the set-ups they shot to facilitate filming (low poundage + light arrows + openers = questionable outcomes).
I saw one of those guys bounce an arrow right back at him on a turkey. Could have been one of The Primos guys now that I think of it .....whom I’m sure shoot pretty close to the same set ups as Drurys.

The look on that guys face when it happened was one of the funniest things I’ve seen on TV. It was like, did that really just happen?

In his defense if that happened to me, I would have made that same face.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR

i just saw that 76#, about 9 min in on this running advertisement.....even though his limb bolts are turned way out.

must be a 90# bow?

Fatcamp

WKR
So these guys are shooting light draws and arrows so they can catch the flight on film?

Jimbob

WKR
Sometimes weird things happen with arrows hitting at angles. The video shows how the arrow deflected off a rib and never entered the cavity.

Over on Bowsite, the owner Pat did an elk hunt with a weird outcome. He shot a bull at 18 yds that looked like a good shot. They blood trailed for miles then the next day he even hired a helicopter to look for the bull, they found it doing well 3 miles away. Turns out the outfitter killed the bull a month later and the arrow had deflected off a rib and never entered the cavity. Read the story here: http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/livehunts/coelk2009/INDEX.cfm

Fatcamp

WKR
I believe it is so they can hold the bow back for extended periods if need be.

Ahhh, I see. Most of those shots are so close it probably doesn't matter. Wonder if a little more speed and COC would have made a difference in the video.