THE most important factor in Bowhunting

Zac

WKR
I've killed around 70 animals with MBH's and my experience says otherwise, but OK.
Don't take it personal man, the video is totally subjective. My ramblings are entirely hypothesized. There are instances where a mechanical is preferred based on where the shot hits. Bowonly had a video where a huge mule deer takes a shot through the guts with a Trypan and dies in sight after about 50 yards.

I think the issue is a mechanical is fine on the front of a well tuned arrow, problem is mechanicals are often used as a crutch. I see too many times someone walk into a shop and they want a broadhead that flies like a fieldpoint. They don't understand most any broadhead will when everything is properly tuned. But mechanicals where the first to be making claims to fly like field points, and 15 years ago I got drawn to them for those reasons. Only to later realize it was really my setup that was the problem, mechanicals are more forgiving, but they don't fix arrow flight. I still use mechanicals some, I now shoot all kinds of broadheads because I'm curious and tinker with stuff. I get defensive of mechanical broadheads because they get a bad rep from the user, same as a crossbow. Nothing wrong with a crossbow except for some of the people who use them.

Zac

WKR
I just don't think there is any perfect option. There's legit killers that use both. Dudley, Levi, and Bowmar exclusively use mechs. Chris Bee has also done very well with them. Seems the professional side of archers use mechs.

MattB

WKR
Don't take it personal man, the video is totally subjective. My ramblings are entirely hypothesized. There are instances where a mechanical is preferred based on where the shot hits. Bowonly had a video where a huge mule deer takes a shot through the guts with a Trypan and dies in sight after about 50 yards.
I don't take it personally. But it does get old when those who "are entirely hypothesizing" try to tell people with experience what's what. It's the internet - I get. People are whoever's they can convince others they are.

MattB

WKR
I think the issue is a mechanical is fine on the front of a well tuned arrow, problem is mechanicals are often used as a crutch. I see too many times someone walk into a shop and they want a broadhead that flies like a fieldpoint. They don't understand most any broadhead will when everything is properly tuned. But mechanicals where the first to be making claims to fly like field points, and 15 years ago I got drawn to them for those reasons. Only to later realize it was really my setup that was the problem, mechanicals are more forgiving, but they don't fix arrow flight.
I've been preaching that for close to 2 decades. People want to blame MBH's for their failures on game, but I've read many a story where it was clear the failure occurred before the hunter ever stepped into the field.

Zac

WKR
I don't take it personally. But it does get old when those who "are entirely hypothesizing" try to tell people with experience what's what. It's the internet - I get. People are whoever's they can convince others they are.
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Almost every thread on here is opinion based. Every post of what could have happened here is a hypothesis. What are you doing on this thread if you don't like opinions?

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I think the issue is a mechanical is fine on the front of a well tuned arrow, problem is mechanicals are often used as a crutch. I see too many times someone walk into a shop and they want a broadhead that flies like a fieldpoint. They don't understand most any broadhead will when everything is properly tuned.
Yes Aaron.... you nailed it!

—-

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Think about the process involved with stretching the hide to give you a bigger entrance hole. That means you have to have a lot of blade contact with the hair and hide which can easily dull knives and broadheads.

IME, With the mechanical heads and the short wide heads that do this stretching I’ve had some dulling of the Broadhead blades on critters With heavier hides like elk. .....Not so much on thin skinned deer. One elk writhing on the ground on a perfect broadside shot.

And when it comes to deflections, I almost never see deflections with a tapered cut on contact Brodhead design, only straight wound channels.....even shooting a low energy recurve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

dkime

WKR
Good thread, I would have easily put 100$ on that deer being dead 10/10 times with a shot like that. It's scenarios like this that change a man and make him question his entire setup. I had a similar situation with a Hypodermic many years ago. Wasn't the broadheads fault, just a case of sh*t happening and I lost confidence. So everything got sold and I made sure that I knew what I was gonna get when I hit an animal moving forward.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
It's scenarios like this that change a man and make him question his entire setup.
Agreed.... and it’s not just your set up, it’s shot angles, Shooting at animals that are staring right at you and have you made, etc. There are enough bad examples of these mechanical heads at a steep angle that tells us those hard quartering shots or a bad idea.

Some might say it’s a waste of time or overthinking to critique these instances but I think It’s all a part of being a better Hunter.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Heres A good example here of poor Arrow flight getting bad penetration.... that and The fact it’s a shoulder shot but you can clearly see the arrow wagging out of the bow.

If you start the video add about the three minute mark the shot is at 3:30

I'm trying to convince myself that arrow hit the blind on the shot, causing the poor flight.

But that might be because I have done it, misery loves company.