The new Vortex Razor HD 13-39x56mm, The Mini Razor

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the eyepiece fixed, Travis? It’d be awesome if Vortex would offer a reticle eyepiece for this spotter.
The eyepiece is not fixed as pointed out in the article. I am hoping they are thinking of the future and offering other eye pieces including one with a reticle or wide angle!

JNDEER

WKR
Watched and read some after the release.

I remember when the original 50mm came out and was compared to the standard ED50. It was on par- but not necessarily better.

I think comparing it to an ED50 would be apples for apples and for those thinking of packing on less- maybe a comparison of a 65 (razor, swaro, kowa, etc) to see where it stands. My gut says it’s better then the ed50, not as crisp on the outer edges or at last light compared to the 554 and will hold with a 65 until the sun sets.

I agree with what was written about the razor. You can get the center of the glass to near as crisp as a swaro and that last 5-8 minutes is about all you loose everytime I compare my stm HD to my gen1 razor.

The old 50 was a disappointment. It didn't have the magnification and the view got dark quickly. I have been planning on a Kowa 553 for my next pack in hunt but may try this scope if some good reviews and comparisons come out.

The old 50 was a disappointment. It didn't have the magnification and the view got dark quickly. I have been planning on a Kowa 553 for my next pack in hunt but may try this scope if some good reviews and comparisons come out.
Agreed. Doesn’t have the clarity either. I had one briefly and was thoroughly unimpressed.

Curious for more detail on how it compares to the Razor 11-33 I currently have. A little brighter due to the extra 6mm of aperture, or a lot brighter due to better optics/coatings?

Curiosity got the better of me, so I ordered a straight-bodied 13-39x. It might fill a niche in my optics setup, we'll see...

I pack my BTX with a 65mm objective almost everywhere, but there are a couple areas I like (with longer hikes in and limited water) where I'd rather spend my energy and pack space carrying extra water. Those areas are mostly a still hunting game with occasional opportunities to glass some further hillsides. I can't justify getting an STC for such limited use, so this could be the ticket.

Not in the same league. Much better. I have both.
I believe it’s better. Just wondering what are the field conditions where it can do things my Razor 11-33x can’t. At $1k retail, I’m almost halfway to a Swaro and more than halfway to a Kowa.

My mini Razor arrives tomorrow, but unless it shows up early I don't expect to do any sort of meaningful evaluation until Saturday. There's a mountainside 3 miles from my front door, and I regularly watch deer and javelina with my BTX in the mornings and evenings.

It will very much be an apples and oranges comparison, and not even the intended application for the Razor, but I'm curious to find out how the monocular 39x on the Razor compares to the binocular 30x on the BTX from my front door glassing spot.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Ordered, will drop a quick comparison between Arhlon Ares, Maven CS1, and the new razor back in the comments.
this would be amazing. I am sold on the Athlon Brand so far. Just got mine and i am floored by the view and color Fidelity. almost no Chromatic or Fringing. Wondering if others see it differently. I know the Maven and Ares are just about the same models from what Ive heard. Very curious to hear others opinions on these 3. My bet is there will not be a huge quality difference between them.

mcseal2

WKR
I have an STC on order, and plan to sell my Kowa 554 when it arrives as long as I'm impressed. I have no complaints with my Kowa except FOV and eye relief were ok but not great. The STC looked to be better on both of those. The 554 I primarily use to evaluate game I've already found in the binos. I'm hoping the STC will be a bit better for longer glassing sessions locating game.

If nobody has been able to put all 3 side by side I'd send Travis my Kowa and STC to test once I get back from CO 2nd season (or whenever my STC arrives). I'd like to see how they all compare.

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
INITIAL IMPRESSION & COMPARISON

I would like to start off by stating that A: I have never been a big fan of Vortex, and B: I have extensively used both the Athlon Ares gen 2, and the Maven CS1 over the last few years. Uses ranging from 9k feet in the mountains, to prairie land, and everything inbetween.

Both the Athlon and Maven have been good for overall footprint, weight, and optical performance, especially at a budget price - but do they hang with the new Razor?

Objectively, no. They do not.

I do not have quantifiable data, tests, or a spec sheet to support this - but I believe the Razor is flat out better and on a higher tier than both. Picking apart mountains ranging from a few hundred yards to five miles solidified my first impression within an about a minute. This 28.6oz spotter is shockingly crisp, with what I consider great edge to edge clarity - especially considering its price point and comparative to the aforementioned spotters. Color was surprisingly neutral with no noticeable hue. Overall build quality is great with a smooth but slightly squishy focus wheel and good locking eyecup system. Body seems sturdy, and I do not fear this spotter taking a spill on the mountain. I am thoroughly impressed, and quite frankly eating my assumptions prior to receiving the optic.

I believe Vortex knocked the ball out of the park with this package. With a 1299 msrp and a street price of 1000 or less - this is a no brainer for the compact market and those wanting to save weight and money without compromising much performance. I’d confidently put this against the likes of the Kowa 553 and above both the Maven and Athlon. Easily.