The perfect tent (freestanding, double walled, 3-4 season, 2-3 people, under 5.5 lbs)

I am looking for the jack of all trades tent:

A free standing tent that can comfortably house 2 people - I have mostly been looking at 3P tents - that works in 3-4 seasons. It can be a tough 3 season tent, or a well ventilated 4 season tent. Hoping for it to be freestanding (not semi-freestanding) and under 5.5 lbs - under 4.5 is seen better.

Any recommendations?

Look into some of the tarptent options. They have some that might fit your list. The free standing portion might be the only thing that might be close. I haven’t looked at them in a while so not exactly sure what the specs are.

I also think Hilleberg just put out a 3 season tunnel tent that might be close to your needs as well.

OP
T
Look into some of the tarptent options. They have some that might fit your list. The free standing portion might be the only thing that might be close. I haven’t looked at them in a while so not exactly sure what the specs are.

I also think Hilleberg just put out a 3 season tunnel tent that might be close to your needs as well.
Thanks for this, I actually have one of the Durston tents, but am looking specifically for a freestanding option...

Thanks for this, I actually have one of the Durston tents, but am looking specifically for a freestanding option...
There’s a brand specifically called Tarptent. Different than Durston and other “tarptents”. The company has some models. Sorry. It was confusing how I wrote it earlier.

taskswap

WKR
Have you seen the Zpacks FreeTrio? https://zpacks.com/products/free-trio-freestanding-tent
That's 2.1lbs which might be the llghtest "2-3p" free-standing tent I'm aware of.

I have the Duplex which has a free-standing add-on kit you can get. I rarely use it but it's nice to have if I'll be on sand or slick-rock.That might be too small for your needs though.

OP
T
Hilleberg Rogen 3+ Season Tent, 2x vestibule entrance/exits for two people, frreestanding, 4lbs 10oz

Seems to me this is clearly in their yellow label '3 season' section - do you know it well and think it works for 4 seasons? I know that Hilleberg doesn't comment on seasons, but this is defined as 'an excellent choice for any trip during the snow-free months of the year where very light weight is of the highest importance'

Seems to me this is clearly in their yellow label '3 season' section - do you know it well and think it works for 4 seasons? I know that Hilleberg doesn't comment on seasons, but this is defined as 'an excellent choice for any trip during the snow-free months of the year where very light weight is of the highest importance'
A Hilleberg 3 season tent is stronger than 95% of the 4 season tents available.

The stone glacier skyscraper 2p might fit what you're looking for. Advertised weight is 5.1 pounds, 4 seasons, its not going to be super spacious for 2 people but you'll be hard pressed to find a typical tent under 5.5 pounds that will have room to spare.

I've been rocking the Hilleberg Nallo 3GT since 2017 and it's been great, but at close to 8 pounds with the footprint it's not light. I recently picked up the skyscraper and I'm looking forward to trying it.

OP
T
The stone glacier skyscraper 2p might fit what you're looking for. Advertised weight is 5.1 pounds, 4 seasons, its not going to be super spacious for 2 people but you'll be hard pressed to find a typical tent under 5.5 pounds that will have room to spare.

I've been rocking the Hilleberg Nallo 3GT since 2017 and it's been great, but at close to 8 pounds with the footprint it's not light. I recently picked up the skyscraper and I'm looking forward to trying it.
Yes - will be curious to hear how the Skyscraper does. Reconsidering the earlier recommendation for the Hilleberg as well - as well as other Hilleberg tents...

Yes - will be curious to hear how the Skyscraper does. Reconsidering the earlier recommendation for the Hilleberg as well - as well as other Hilleberg tents...
Any Hilleberg that'll fit 3 is gonna be pretty heavy. They simply aren't on the ultralight program, they're all about making the best product they can for a given scenario and weight takes a back seat to function and durability every time with a Hilleberg.

OP
T
Any Hilleberg that'll fit 3 is gonna be pretty heavy. They simply aren't on the ultralight program, they're all about making the best product they can for a given scenario and weight takes a back seat to function and durability every time with a Hilleberg.
Agree, but the Rogen, Nyak, and to a lesser extent the Allak, Jannu and Unna (red label are all heavier) all come in close enough to the weight. I am curious how yellow label Hilleberg tents stand up to occasional 4 season use?

Hilleberg yellow label is better than almost anything available. Tons of snow and monster wind might damage them, but they'll take more than anyone else's three season model.

OP
T
If not a HIlleberg, then look at the Kuiu Mountain Star.
Thanks - I ordered a Hilleberg, although it will be on backorder for a little; why do you see the Mountain Star as better than the Stone Glacier Skyscraper (which can have either a mesh or solid interior)? That was my second choice...

chasewild

WKR
Thanks - I ordered a Hilleberg, although it will be on backorder for a little; why do you see the Mountain Star as better than the Stone Glacier Skyscraper (which can have either a mesh or solid interior)? That was my second choice...
I don't have much experience with the SG Skyscraper (I have the Solus) but when I was looking, I liked the Mountain Star weight, its a bit cheaper, and it has a really good reputation from people up here.

Cody111

FNG
I am looking for the same type of tent, ideally under 4.5 lbs. Was seriously looking at the Nemo dragonfly 3p but now I can't seem to find it in many places