The Rokstaff tries Off Grid Food Co. Backcountry Meals

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 350212
I had a mix of Off Grid products in my backpack this season; entrees, breakfasts, and snacks. Here are a few of my thoughts on what I used.

The trail mix was awesome in taste and texture and super convenient to have in a hip belt pocket for quick access to calories. I really liked the small resealable pouch.

The Predator Fuel oatmeal can't be compared to other forms of instant oatmeal as the other added ingredients raise the bar in taste and calorie count. The freeze dried berries, almond slices and coconut helped with texture and taste. This is the only oatmeal I will ever take on a backpack hunt.

The entrees I used this fall were the Quail Tinga and the Bison Penne Pomodoro. Both taste amazing in the backcountry with the ingredients tasting like something made at home. The trim packaging was a bonus as they take up less volume in the pack compared to MH or Peak. I wasn't a huge fan of the 20 minute hydration time but they never cooled off so much as to be unpalatable. I just hate waiting that long to eat. I did have issues getting the quail to fully rehydrate even after a 25 minute wait as there were still a few crunchy pieces in the bag but nothing to turn me off to the entrée. It is really tasty.

I used them a lot of the time to substitute my normal bar/jerky/trail mix mid-day food for really big days when extra calories and a warm meal is welcome. And it's totally worth bring the stove along for that.

I'll definitely order more for next season as they fit well with my backcountry food strategy.

-Josh

Thanks for your feedback Josh.

Just an update for everybody, off-grid is shut down for the winter due to supply issues. But they should be back up next spring. Hope so, there are solid company making good product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old_coyote

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I have a handful of these that expired April and July of this year (2022) and going on hunt in September. Do you think I’ll be good to go? Hoping the off grid food co folks are keeping an eye on this because their website and contact info is down. Thanks!

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, I have a handful of these that expired April and July of this year (2022) and going on hunt in September. Do you think I’ll be good to go? Hoping the off grid food co folks are keeping an eye on this because their website and contact info is down. Thanks!
I wouldnt be scared to try em, but I have done dumb stuff before lol, so dont go by what I say lol

twall13

WKR
I've eaten a couple of their breakfasts that were several months expired and didn't have any problems. If it were me I'd probably go ahead and take/eat them, but you have to decide what you are comfortable with. Most of those dates are pretty conservative for liability reasons.

I doubt the Offgrid guys are watching this thread, rumors are they are closing down for good and/or looking for someone to buy them out.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’d be they’re fine, but you could sample them at home and repackage for the trip. I’ve tried about 5 of their entrees and they were all good to very good, so if they taste old, time to go shopping.

They didn’t renew their sponsorship so not sure they’re staying in business. Hope they can, it was good food. Kinda spendy but sure was nice to break up the MH routine.

old_coyote

Lil-Rokslider
Happy to report that the meals were excellent. Best mountain dinners I have had. Hope the stay in business.

Bison chili and bison fajitas were incredible.
Bison penne pasta was ok.

Plus, didn’t get MHB (mountain house butt) and swollen fingers from the insane amounts sodium.

Jfox21

FNG
View attachment 350212
I had a mix of Off Grid products in my backpack this season; entrees, breakfasts, and snacks. Here are a few of my thoughts on what I used.

The trail mix was awesome in taste and texture and super convenient to have in a hip belt pocket for quick access to calories. I really liked the small resealable pouch.

The Predator Fuel oatmeal can't be compared to other forms of instant oatmeal as the other added ingredients raise the bar in taste and calorie count. The freeze dried berries, almond slices and coconut helped with texture and taste. This is the only oatmeal I will ever take on a backpack hunt.

The entrees I used this fall were the Quail Tinga and the Bison Penne Pomodoro. Both taste amazing in the backcountry with the ingredients tasting like something made at home. The trim packaging was a bonus as they take up less volume in the pack compared to MH or Peak. I wasn't a huge fan of the 20 minute hydration time but they never cooled off so much as to be unpalatable. I just hate waiting that long to eat. I did have issues getting the quail to fully rehydrate even after a 25 minute wait as there were still a few crunchy pieces in the bag but nothing to turn me off to the entrée. It is really tasty.

I used them a lot of the time to substitute my normal bar/jerky/trail mix mid-day food for really big days when extra calories and a warm meal is welcome. And it's totally worth bring the stove along for that.

I'll definitely order more for next season as they fit well with my backcountry food strategy.

-Josh