The suppressor advantage for coyotes

I use a custom 22 Creed and a Remington 700 22-250. The creed I shoot 80.5’s out of and the 22-250 I shoot 52’s. I like the 22-250 but the case shape makes it finicky feeding from a DBM.

Both are in XLR chassis.

Several places that I hunt are private property, most of them have the landowner’s home located on the premises.
It’s less of a disturbance to them, their neighbors and it helps conserve what is left of my hearing.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good points already.

With suppressor I've found that can keep stands much closer together. Sometimes just 1/4 mile apart.

It seems they have a much harder time knowing which direction the shot came from. Ive had a few run quartering towards me after the first shot.

Follow up shots are easier and faster to manage with less recoil. Very helpful on running dogs that you have to lead. Im not amazing at estimating lead and often takes me 2 or 3 shots to hit them running.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate everyone’s input. I didn’t think about how you need to hunt stands differently when you’re running a suppressor vs when you’re not hunting suppressed. A lot of great information on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
I would say that and how educated they are.

Wind and terrain make a big difference also. Sometimes my call sounds so loud I feel like I could hear it 5 miles away. And sometimes I’m at max volume wishing I had multiple speakers so it’s even louder. Shots are the same.

I killed a couple singles on the same stand the other day. In front of me there is a hill running perpendicular to me. I’m looking up the rise and the crest is like 200 yards away.

The first coyote came in fairly close but heading down wind. I killed it around 80 yards. The second came over close to the same spot but angled further away. I killed it just over 200 yards and it got even further towards my wind before I was able to kill it.

I killed the one @9o’clock to me and the second @8:30 o’clock.

A third dog came in from about 8 o’clock. I was waiting for it to clear a post and it caught my wind and was gone. That dog came from the direction my muzzle was pointed when I shot the other two dogs.

Maybe it would have been exactly the same if I didn’t have a suppressor?

I feel it makes enough of a difference I have a beast of a suppressor on order just for coyote hunting. It’s a 338 Ultra Gen 2.

The other thing I’ve noticed on dogs I don’t call in. I spotted one @760. I was up on a point and it was in a thin strip of tall grass. Wind was guessed @14 where I was at. Nothing really to gauge with along the flight of the bullet. I missed. Couldn’t see where because of the tall grass. The dog ran closer. I killed it when it stopped @480.

It heard the sonic crack and the bullet hit by it when I missed. But it didn’t hear where it actually came from. I hadn’t been calling since the wife was deer hunting.

If I had been calling and it heard the crack I bet it wouldn’t have ran closer.

Little things like that plus shooting multiples tells me the suppressor helps. How much idk.
A 338 ultra is a sweet can but still a bit of a crack with a 22-250. Not sure what you’re hunting with. I’ve got a gen 1 and though it’s very impressive, I think it’s quieter in my 26” 338rum than my 16” 22-250.

Dirtbag

WKR
Suppressors are awesome. You don't need to justify buying one to me at all. With that said, I've killed a lot of multiples without them. They are hearing your shot regardless, although it may spook them more without, who knows. If you have the extra coin and time to spend on the suppressor hoops, by all means... If you are going to sacrifice going on trips to save the gas money for it...I probably wouldnt. I know its the Rokslide way but you don't need to continue to drop thousands to have fun.
7488F731-98CE-4CCE-8951-B3B875EE5A62.jpeg

757561D0-83BC-492A-9CE4-EE129736CFC9.jpeg

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Suppressors are awesome. You don't need to justify buying one to me at all. With that said, I've killed a lot of multiples without them. They are hearing your shot regardless, although it may spook them more without, who knows. If you have the extra coin and time to spend on the suppressor hoops, by all means... If you are going to sacrifice going on trips to save the gas money for it...I probably wouldnt. I know its the Rokslide way but you don't need to continue to drop thousands to have fun.
View attachment 647637

View attachment 647638

Blasphemer!

A 338 ultra is a sweet can but still a bit of a crack with a 22-250. Not sure what you’re hunting with. I’ve got a gen 1 and though it’s very impressive, I think it’s quieter in my 26” 338rum than my 16” 22-250.
According to TBAC it’s their quietest can even on smaller calibers.

Right now I’m using a Hyperion and Ultra 9 Gen 2 mostly. The 338 should be quieter than both.

Barrel length the difference?

I would say that and how educated they are.

Wind and terrain make a big difference also.
These are major factors. I will also add caller volume. Loud pup distress or vocals why you are shooting helps also. They will still spook at supressed shots. But just like shooting unsupressed, if they didn’t quite hear the shot or pin point the direction, they will keep coming or pause to get off more shots. It clearly gives you an advantage, because it increases the odds of that happening.

I have one great example from this year. First coyote arrived within 1 minute. Pair came in from west, but they were 1/2 mile away over an hill in another wooded draw when I shot the first one. A second pair came in from the east they were also over a hill in a wooded draw. This took about a total of 15 minutes. I stayed on stand for about 40 minutes total. I had a little over a half mile walk back to the house. When I got back there was already two more pairs that had moved in and were howling in the draw I just shot 7 times in. If I was shooting unsupressed there is no doubt the “echo” down the draw would have prevent most of these coyotes from coming over the hill.

Check this video out. These guys kill a lot of yotes and maybe someone has mentioned in the thread already. This particular video shows why a suppressor is worth it, but as stated you can accomplish without as well.

I think suppressors really shine coyote hunting when its a coyote hunt of opportunity. I plugged two yotes while elk hunting with a 300wm, then harvested a cow about an hour later and a half mile away. The 60 head herd of elk was calmy bedded down when I found them, my shots on the coyotes obviously had not bothered them at all.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I think suppressors really shine coyote hunting when its a coyote hunt of opportunity. I plugged two yotes while elk hunting with a 300wm, then harvested a cow about an hour later and a half mile away. The 60 head herd of elk was calmy bedded down when I found them, my shots on the coyotes obviously had not bothered them at all.

This was something I was curious about too. I had an opportunity at a decent buck while elk hunting and passed on him because the elk were working my direction and I didn’t want them to change course.

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wondering what advantages people have experienced who hunt coyotes with a suppressor and can say it made a definite positive impact on their level of success. The argument that coyotes won’t come in to the call after an unsuppressed shot is fired is bologna from my experience, so there has to be some legitimate things that suppressed guys have experienced and can say is a definite advantage of having one on your rifle. I killed this double last weekend (unsuppressed) on one stand and shot the second when I turned on coyote death cry after I killed the first one. He ran right up to the dead coyote and I shot him as he was sniffing her.
f4991d85f5d90b707df397c26fb8d116.jpg
I think the best justification for a suppressor came last year when a double came in upwind. One was shot at 50ish yards, expected the other to turn and run but he kept working the call like nothing happened and allowed an easy shot. I know that’s an extreme example, but that would give me confidence that other dogs I don’t see aren’t going to hear the shot and I can keep calling.