Thermarest Xlite vs Klymit Static V Insulated

Elite

WKR
Hello I am going to pull the trigger on a new sleeping pad soon. I am a side sleeper and this pad will be used for sheep hunting so temps will vary a lot. I like the square shape of the Klymit instead of the mummy shape. Just wondering if anyone has a direct comparison with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Klymit Static V Insulated that worked good for me, but I'm going to upgrade to an EXPED and get rid of the Klymit. It's a decent pad for the money if you're trying to get into the game. I've never used the Thermarest, so can't compare for oyu.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
If you’re looking for wide, thick, comfy and “lighter”, look at the Klymit Static V Luxe SL.

Definitely looked at that one but the weight is to high for what I was hoping for

I cant compare the two but I can share my experience with the klymit. I really like it, I'm also a side or belly sleeper. If I get a decent pillow I'll be set, the pad is comfortable aside from the occasional pressure point on my shoulders or elbows when I roll into an odd position. I've used it down to around 20 without getting cold spots under me, just used it wednesday night actually.
The first one I bought I got through camofire, a year later it began to leak. I didnt have a receipt or even an email. Klymit took it back and replaced it with a brand new one, no questions asked. I was very happy with that.

WinM70

FNG
I also can’t speak to the Xlite, but have had the Klymit for a couple years. Also a side sleeper, has been comfortable for me. Takes up almost no room, packs down to just bigger than a pop can.

I have about 6 trips with my sea to summit. Regular wide is rectangular. 4 inches thick and 25 inches wide. Sleeps like a dream.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I have about 6 trips with my sea to summit. Regular wide is rectangular. 4 inches thick and 25 inches wide. Sleeps like a dream.

Looks like a awesome pad. Hoping to stay under 17 OZ tho

Looks like a awesome pad. Hoping to stay under 17 OZ tho

If you don’t need the wide the regular rectangle is 17oz. Pretty sure my klymit is over 20oz. I had and sold an xlite. It was the loudest pad I have ever owned. My camp buddies (sleepo g 10 feet away) even commented on how loud it was.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
Apparently there's a new standard for measuring r value in sleeping pads. Klymit has not updated the r values in their pads. At one point earlier this year they changed the values in their website and the static v insulated from 4.4 to 1.9. They then removed that from the website and put back the old r values stating it was a mistake, and they would be updating the information throughout the year.

So who knows what's going on, but I'm not sure I would trust their r value ratings until they update to the industry standard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've had both, the x lite is very narrow and may work with a quilt so you can strap it down, but with a bag I mise well just lay on it sideways, throw it across the tent or not pack it.
The Klymit is wayyyyy more comfortable and you should be able to get it for $59 on Amazon, for that price its worth trying and keeping as a backup.
But it's made to be used with a bag so it can loft into the grooves, with a quilt its leaving a little to be desired warmth wise. So I'm keeping my eye out for something else.
But so far nothing reliable has turned up.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I've had both, the x lite is very narrow and may work with a quilt so you can strap it down, but with a bag I mise well just lay on it sideways, throw it across the tent or not pack it.
The Klymit is wayyyyy more comfortable and you should be able to get it for $59 on Amazon, for that price its worth trying and keeping as a backup.
But it's made to be used with a bag so it can loft into the grooves, with a quilt its leaving a little to be desired warmth wise. So I'm keeping my eye out for something else.
But so far nothing reliable has turned up.

I have been wanting to switch to a quilt in the future so that would be a deciding factor. My current mat is a narrow mummy style pad and it is annoying for falling off it. I was looking at the regular wide pad in the neoair but it is still mummy shaped so not sure if the extra 5 inches would help. I have watched a lot of reviews and it seems like the Klymit pad is a lot thinner then the neo

Klymit is definitely comfortable, and I'll still take it during warmer weather.
But I think big agnes is known for inflating r value.
I think sea to summit has some good options. But I've also seen, heard poor durability.

You may just want to go straight to the X therm Max.
But starting with the kylmit and keeping it as a backup isn't a bad idea. I always have extras at the truck.
Another option is to use the klymit and keep and old school foam z lite and use them together for colder temps.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
If only Thermarest would make a Xtherm that is 27” tapering to 25”, 3.5” thick with say 75d on the bottom and 30d on top and a 6+R value. That would be the king of kings.

I agree or a neoair Xlite in a rectangular shape that is 27 inches wide

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Klymit is definitely comfortable, and I'll still take it during warmer weather.
But I think big agnes is known for inflating r value.
I think sea to summit has some good options. But I've also seen, heard poor durability.

You may just want to go straight to the X therm Max.
But starting with the kylmit and keeping it as a backup isn't a bad idea. I always have extras at the truck.
Another option is to use the klymit and keep and old school foam z lite and use them together for colder temps.

Thanks for the input I might just try the Klymit hard not to fit the price of it compared to thermarest