these look very interesting

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
They look legit. Be interested to try them after the fall. Besides my toes, my flexors took a good beating this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
on almost all my most arduous trips- hunting or not, it seems like my hip flexors are one of my weakest links

on a particularly tough adventure race I do, by the middle of day two they are weak enough that when I'm going over blowdown I'm grasping the top of my pants to help pull my leg up and over the blowdown :D

if these help even just a little, it'll be worth it

I've found snowshoeing is also pretty good on using/building hip flexors

Vandy321

WKR
Be sure to add in stretching/rolling them out...tight hip flexors can cause some pretty painful problems elsewhere

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Be sure to add in stretching/rolling them out...tight hip flexors can cause some pretty painful problems elsewhere

I roll them when worked hard, you have a good stretch or two for them?

Vandy321

WKR
I roll them when worked hard, you have a good stretch or two for them?
I wish I had better, I have to hammer mine with foam roller and LAX ball...they cause a ton of my lower back tightness/issues. My favorite is basically a hamstring stretch (ankle to butt) with the rear leg from a typical lunge position, knee stays on ground. Get up against a wall or post to hang on to...really gets the hip flexor if you target it over hamstring by a

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
just got back from the gym and thew some of these in at the end; as mentioned in the video, the correct height of the step is important

I tried a height and it was too high, knee did not come over the foot- went a little lower and that did it- used 25 lb dumbbells and did three sets of 10 each leg, that was plenty to start with :D

Interesting indeed. I've replaced most of my traditional forward lunges with reverse lunges over the last few years. I'll definitely be giving these a shot.

One thing that I found curious is the forward position of the "up" knee. That seems to be counter to my current thought process on knee position during step-ups and lunges.

Vandy321

WKR
Interesting indeed. I've replaced most of my traditional forward lunges with reverse lunges over the last few years. I'll definitely be giving these a shot.

One thing that I found curious is the forward position of the "up" knee. That seems to be counter to my current thought process on knee position during step-ups and lunges.
I was always taught that knee should stay behind the toes, not over them? Over the toes and that's where injuries happen.

Any DPTs care to chime in?

I like jump lunges and bulgarian split squats (B.S.S. are murder with a 50 lb pack on your back) to work my quads and hip flexors. I've also played around with stretch bands to specifically target my hips. Tall grass and ground vines wreck my hip flexors when I hog hunt here in TX, so I have done simulations of that strain via stretch bands and a basic high knee motion.