Thinking of a build (custom bolt action). Never had one done. Probably my only one.

Wondering about a build on a budget of say $1200 to $1500. Is that even possible? Was thinking of something like a mid weight .280AI but am open to other big game calibers.

I would love a Lilja barrel but maybe a Douglas?

I am just kind of trying to see if it is a possibility. Would a Ruger make a good host or do I even need one? Or I am going to have to start from scratch?I

I am really not thinking of a 1000 yard rifle for the most part. Something 600 yard would be more realistic.

I am just talking about the rifle. I think I have an optic.

Looking for some thought on the subject. Thank you.

Last edited:

Jon Boy

WKR
Not sure what you can pick up a 700 action or donor rifle for these days but I'd say that budget is vary doable with a savage action and you could do most of the work yourself, including screwing on the barrel.

7stw

WKR
Since your wanting a .280 find a used 700 or savage in the 06 family and tear it down to the action. Ruger while decent rifles don't make good donors for customs as there is a lack of aftermarket parts available. I own several semi customs and one full custom. Some are built of rem actions and some are built off of a savage. There are many good barrel makers out there besides the ones you listed. Shilen hart benchmark krieger just to name a few. If you go the savage route you can buy a prechambred pre fit barrel and screw it on your self with simple tools. With a 700 style action you'll need a gunsmith to do most of the barrel fitting. I have done a couple in the 12-1500 dollar range including donor action. Be careful with savage as there's several different options and all replacement parts may or may not work. Screw spacing is a common one to watch. Most guys that go with a savage do so for the accutrigger. I change them myself with a timney but I also do that on nearly all my rifles. I do a rifle basix on a couple though. If you want to consider a savage go check out savage shooters forum. Tons of info and ideas on there. Decide what stock you want hs precision McMillan manners are some of the best but several of them cost more than your total budget. Shop used stockys website is a good source to look at and get ideas as well as shop. For a little more than your budget you could get a factory semi custom like a kimber mtn ascent or a nosler m48 both are available in .280 (the nosler in .280 ai ) going the full custom route is probably out of your budget I have a couple of actions that cost more than 1500 they get expensive but used ones turn up from time to time. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451920492.749762.jpg a rem 700 I rebarrled and restocked. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451920554.629765.jpg
A savage 111 I tore down and built in 6.5-06 I have around 1k in the rem and 1300 in the savage both prices reflect buying the donor and not glass.

OP
Thanks guy's. Appreciate your thoughts.

I am not a Savage guy. I know many are, just not for me.

I do have a local gunsmith who is very, very good. I just want to have some info before I seek him out.

Based on the other thread it would seem a 1-9 twist 24 or 25" twist barrel would be a good choice. I will let the gunsmith give me a few choice's based on his recommendation's on performance vs cost.

I am guessing I will need to go B&C, HS Precision or similar on the stock. Would consider used too.

My gunsmith is a great trigger man so I will let him give me his thoughts and decide from there.

This will be a rifle to cover ground with so I do not want it to heavy. Hopefully 6.5lbs for the rifle, is that possible?
Hopefully 8.5 to 8.75lbs when complete and ready for the field?

spdrman

WKR
McMillan always has a bunch of stocks on sale ready to ship, inventory is constantly changing but that would be worth keeping an eye on. With a light stock and sporter barrel you should be able to get around the 6.5lb range I'd think.

I've never done it but something I've seriously been considering is sending Christensen Arms a Action and having them put a barrel on it, you supply the action they'll put the barrel on for $800. Just another thought

If you had a donor rifle already that would leave you $400 to buy a McMillan on Sale. $115 Timney trigger and your right in your budget

I just had a .280 AI built on a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter. I found a donor in .270 Win and had the barrel pulled and a 24" 1-9 twist Shilen match standard contour barrel put on. My gunsmith worked his magic on the trigger and glass and pillar bedded the stock and floated the barrel. I put a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle on it. I am tickled how this thing turned out. The price I put in it is within your range. Minus the optics of course. Here's a couple pictures.

David

OP
Update: stopped and talked with my gunsmith. He has a pre 64 Winchester action with a 25" Lilja octogon barrel on it. All ready for a stock. Which he indicated he could do a nice stock starting at about $350 and could go up from there depending on the wood.

A bit more $ than I budgeted. But more of a set up than I envisioned.

What are you thoughts on it.

GKPrice

Banned
Update: stopped and talked with my gunsmith. He has a pre 64 Winchester action with a 25" Lilja octogon barrel on it. All ready for a stock. Which he indicated he could do a nice stock starting at about $350 and could go up from there depending on the wood.

A bit more $ than I budgeted. But more of a set up than I envisioned.

What are you thoughts on it.

question 1) why does he have an already barreled action and has it been fired ?
question 2) why do wood on a hunting "shooter" ?
question 3) pre 64's are not light in weight, are you sure this is the combo you want to do a custom on ? Although very notorious for accuracy I've heard that Lilja uses a softer alloy mix which would translate into shorter barrel life "IF" true

OP
Answer:

The tube is unfired. the action is pre64. You would have to see it to appreciate it. Beautiful combo. While I would not of thought of ordering an octogon barrel. Looks outstanding. Really does. It was a project for someone that did not go forward for some reason. Not equip. related. A wood stock on a hunting rifle is not an issue for me at all. Worked pretty well for oh, a couple hundred years or so.
Not sure how much heavier a pre64 action is compared to a post 64 action. Cannot be too much.
A Lilja barrel is about as good as it gets.

Thanks 6mm, I have admired your build in your thread. Beautiful set up. Have you weighed it. Is that the original Winchester stock?
Glad you are enjoying it and it is a producer.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
I would think a Long action Pre 64 with a sporter contour octagon barrel would be hard to keep under 6.5 lb with even the lightest of stocks.
Just throwing this out there.......the one on hand is over budget and over weight. Is it really the one you want to lay down $1500+ for? Now I'm not saying its not and it could be more than you ever dreamed of having. Then again you could be like a lot of the rest of us and after building one or five we are still searching for the perfect one!

OP
Thanks ICC for that and I agree whole heartedly. Kind of came to that conclusion too. Still a bit undecided but am looking hard at a Semi custom X2 Extreme from Montana rifle company.

Jeremybj

FNG
This might get me some flak but for your budget, I would just buy a nice factory gun.

Here is my experience with a custom rifle. I had a stiller action, proof research barrel, manners stock, hinged floorplate. the gun cost me about $4000 when it was all said and done. When I got it I was disappointed, it was 8 pounds, about a pound more than I was expecting. The gun shot great, but not any better than my factory Tikka rifle. Then sale time came and I took a bath.

A factory Sako 85 rifle could be had for that $1500 mark and it will be an absolute tack driver. Only problem is it wont be a 280, but there is nothing wrong with 7mm rem mag. or 270 wsm.

If you want more on the $1200 line, go with a Winchester model 70 extreme weather. Good weight, super accurate, controlled round feed. I do like the idea of buying a model 70 featherweight and having a gunsmith work some magic, that could be done for $1500 and you would have an awesome rig.

Not saying all custom guns are bad, I just decided it wasn't worth all the hype.

I am very happy with it. I have not weighed it but I will just for you! Yes it is the original factory stock. It had just one minor little ding on it and I really like wood. With the pillar and glass bedding it should be very stable and hold zero well. I am very happy with how it turned out.

Shrek

WKR
I love putting together a custom project rifle and have had success and recently failure. You will NOT recover close to the investment if you decide to sell. Montana Rifle Company 1999 action is NOT an action I can recommend after my recent experience. Buy a Winchester M70 Classic donor if you want that type of action. I've had an email in to MRC for a week now with no response what so ever about whether they will warranty the action they made. I bought it as new unused from a guy who bought it a while back for a project that never got done. When the barrel was screwed on it was obvious that the action was inletted off center. This is a new as it came from the factory action that is as straight as a Pakastani home made AK. Seriously , it's garbage ! I don't believe a word a gunsith says anymore when they promise a time frame and everything else is trust but verify.

Btw , there are only long action pre 64 M70 Winchesters. If you want a short action CRF then it will be a Classic action pre 64ish style action. I would NOT try to build on a true Pre 64 but find a modern classic action. Six digit serial numbered actions are earlier in the classic line and have the reputation for tighter tolerance and better finish.

Last edited:
OP
I have a Montana Rifle Co. Xws .308. Very nice all weather rifle. So I have no issue with buying another and probably will. Sorry you got a second hand unit that is not a good unit. Not sure you can expect them to replace something that who know's how old it may be and who's hand's have laid upon it. There are risk's to buying things like that. But you now know that.

Shrek

WKR
I have a Montana Rifle Co. Xws .308. Very nice all weather rifle. So I have no issue with buying another and probably will. Sorry you got a second hand unit that is not a good unit. Not sure you can expect them to replace something that who know's how old it may be and who's hand's have laid upon it. There are risk's to buying things like that. But you now know that.

A defective action uncut is a defective action whether it was made yesterday or ten years ago. They either warranty their action to be free from defects or they don't but it doesn't say much good about their quality control and if they don't back it then it doesn't say much good about their integrity. Bottom line is they made a defective action and it's just now been discovered. If it had been "trued" then it is a smith problem but it hasn't been cut.

OP
I am not going to get in a argument with you. But you don't mention the changing hands. Heck, it could of been dropped for all anyone knows. I would be talking to the guy I got it from if he sold me something and misrepresented it's condition. But I have seen other situations such as yours with a similar perspective. Wish you well.