This is a good law

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is good as well, animal well being should matter more then antler sheds and making money off them. I know most will disagree but I'm ok with a permit for shed collecting and stiffer fines for breaking closure rules.

Absolutely agree. I think a permit and a season is great.

Dogman

FNG
I'm with Nick on this one. The only thing this law is going to do is keep the honest people from shed hunting. I know for a fact that people were shed hunting in Eagle County last year and stashing sheds before the season. Problem was they didn't issue any tickets last year even with pictures as evidence. If you think shutting down an area is going to keep people out you are crazy. I know of an area that is closed but you see hikers and mountain bike riders in there all the time during the closed time. I think if you really want to keep people from shed hunting make it illegal to sell shed antlers.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Dogman, you point out part of the problem, cops not willing to do their jobs.

I can say here there are still the lawbreakers but the winter range is much quieter than it used to be. We have a ski trail on top so we have the skiers too but they're not grid-searching every piece of deer country like the shed hunters- including me- were.

had to update as I missed putting the "not" in front of grid-searching; totally changes the meaning.

Last edited:

wyodan

WKR
While I agree with the spirit of the law, as our deer do need protection, I cannot totally agree with calling these laws successful, at least with Wyoming's version. To me, it is not a successful law if it only punishes those who follow it, which is what Wyoming's law is currently doing. After seeing the fines for some who have been caught, there is nothing really to deter those who don't mind breaking the law. The punishment was ridiculously small. The punishment needs to be large enough to actually make people worry about getting caught.

I believe the crime should be for the harassment of wildlife, not for the collection of antlers. That said, I would also agree with a permit for collecting antlers during a season, with no permit required for the remainder of the year. That would help to fund the G&F for patrolling during the season, and deter a lot of people just for the fact of having a tag.

Wildlife harassment laws are already on the books the G&F needs to enforce those laws, instead of punishing honest people by keeping them off while the outlaws gather the sheds.