Montana mule deer meeting region 6

"Listening session regarding mule deer management being held in Glasgow March 15"

GLASGOW –Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is holding a public listening session regarding mule deer management in Region 6 in northeast Montana. The listening session is from 6-8 p.m. at the Cottonwood Inn in Glasgow on Wednesday, March 15. Hunters, landowners, and other wildlife enthusiasts are encouraged to attend.

Region 6 wildlife staff will provide a background on mule deer management, the current status of mule deer populations in the region, trends in hunters and harvest, and an update on CWD. Following the presentation, the floor will be open for dialogue between public participants and FWP staff.

The intent of this session is for FWP to have a chance to hear various concerns, questions, and perspectives from the interested public. There will be no decisions made during this listening session.

FWP ensures that its meetings are fully accessible to persons with disabilities. To request special accommodations for this meeting, or for any questions, please contact the FWP Region 6 Headquarters in Glasgow at 406-228-3700.

Attend and comment if you live close! Hopefully something good will come from this and we can get some stuff under control up here again!

Legend

WKR
I would like to know what percentage of non resident deer hunters use region 6 and 7? It sure feels like this part of the state gets the lions share of nonresident deer hunters.

If the data supports that assumption I think MT should consider a system that would disperse nonresident hunters across the state as opposed to letting them choose.

Last edited:
OP
I would like to know what percentage of non resident deer hunters use region 6 and 7? It sure feels like this part of the state gets the luons share of nonresident deer hunters.

If the data supports that assumption I think MT should consider a system that would disperse nonresident hunters across the state as opposed to letting them choose.
I’d say the percentage is up there I don’t have that info but I will certainly ask that question Wednesday night at the meeting! I mean the amount of western Montanans in these parts is crazy too! Never used to be that bad, it’s sad to see what’s happening that’s for sure

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
There are many, many contributing factors to the rise of hunter pressure in Montana overall. The amount of new residents and the access ease of the east draws large crowds. Not everyone is willing to hunt in grizzly country, which is expanding rapidly and into new area's, the rigors of the topography and there are just more deer numbers in the east. I don't believe there will ever be a chose rule for district (unit) specific although it wouldn't hurt to try it for a year or two and see if it works, in my opinion. It will only get more interesting with more residents moving here and other states contributing less to non-residents.

Very interested in what you learned from the meeting! Fill us in. Wife enjoyed hunting up there this year. Was nice to go hunt where I farmed for many summers with family. Deer pop seemed decent but hoards of people near Richland. She didn’t want to venture to peerless always a lot of people up there

OP
Very interested in what you learned from the meeting! Fill us in. Wife enjoyed hunting up there this year. Was nice to go hunt where I farmed for many summers with family. Deer pop seemed decent but hoards of people near Richland. She didn’t want to venture to peerless always a lot of people up there
How did the meeting go? What did they have to say?
Here you guys go! Everyone that showed up voiced relatively the same opinion that there are too man my non res in region 6 and 7 and that we would like to see changes in the near future!

Attachments

• A7AE223A-5C06-4E28-AA19-8559746072D3.png
    A7AE223A-5C06-4E28-AA19-8559746072D3.png
    732.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 11576A26-6549-4D51-B042-040D605270D6.png
    11576A26-6549-4D51-B042-040D605270D6.png
    751.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DEFCB2BE-51A4-4532-9ED9-EA9CFA247467.png
    DEFCB2BE-51A4-4532-9ED9-EA9CFA247467.png
    783.6 KB · Views: 59
  • D488B657-81C8-41D8-87B0-4F290EEED2C8.png
    D488B657-81C8-41D8-87B0-4F290EEED2C8.png
    752.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 55AF77B6-FE13-48CC-8593-DE9467B54714.png
    55AF77B6-FE13-48CC-8593-DE9467B54714.png
    414.7 KB · Views: 70
Great write up! Management up north really scares me, saw them manage it south of Bridger by shooting every buck. That unit sucks now.

OP
Great write up! Management up north really scares me, saw them manage it south of Bridger by shooting every buck. That unit sucks now.
i grew up hunting a lot of region 6! The mule deer hunting up here is absolutely atrocious unless you want to shoot a bunch of small bucks… our mature age class has been destroyed

WCB

WKR
CWD is not going to be a friend of anyone that wants to decrease pressure sorry to say. The playbook says G&F departments must try to kill every deer that thinks about breathing in those areas. And in reality in the CWD playbook the amount of pressure currently there is good or even not enough.

Doesn't make sense to me to have the regions as large as they are. I like it as a hunter being able to have some freedom but making people choose a region and a weapon would be a good start. 6 and 7 could easily be split into 3 or 4 sub regions and do the same for NRs and Residents.

OP
CWD is not going to be a friend of anyone that wants to decrease pressure sorry to say. The playbook says G&F departments must try to kill every deer that thinks about breathing in those areas. And in reality in the CWD playbook the amount of pressure currently there is good or even not enough.

Doesn't make sense to me to have the regions as large as they are. I like it as a hunter being able to have some freedom but making people choose a region and a weapon would be a good start. 6 and 7 could easily be split into 3 or 4 sub regions and do the same for NRs and Residents.
I’d say it just be done at a nr level and see how that goes first… I maybe saw a handful of r plates to the plethora of nr plates all hunting season! (Which was also mentioned in the meeting) Got to get the nr overpopulation delt with before any r limiting in my opinion!

OP

Yes there will be a time when r need to be reeled in as well and distributed all over the state instead of having free reign… the deer in region 6 and 7 get piss pounded by everyone and their mother

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Yes there will be a time when r need to be reeled in as well and distributed all over the state instead of having free reign… the deer in region 6 and 7 get piss pounded by everyone and their mother
The time has come and gone. It’s over hunted by both residents and nonresidents. It isn’t a one or the other problem. This coming from a born and raised resident. Lock people into regions, choose your weapon, make the last couple weeks of season a draw, (enter a million other ideas towards some type of management)….just do something instead of nothing.

OP
The time has come and gone. It’s over hunted by both residents and nonresidents. It isn’t a one or the other problem. This coming from a born and raised resident. Lock people into regions, choose your weapon, make the last couple weeks of season a draw, (enter a million other ideas towards some type of management)….just do something instead of nothing.
Born and raised as well not sure what your point is there bud! They will continue to do nothing because they are making to much money so until that changes it will stay the same

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Born and raised as well not sure what your point is there bud! They will continue to do nothing because they are making to much money so until that changes it will stay the same
My point is even the residents understand it isn’t only a nonresident problem but a problem from both residents and nonresidents. Both sides are going to have to give up something if there’ll be any improvement to things. I 100% agree on your money comment.