Thoughts on big Agnes anthracite 20 for beginner backpack hunter?

I am looking into going on my first backpack hunt this year and am curious on some opinions on sleeping bags. Curious if anyone has any experience with this bag as I’m not looking to spend much due to having a lot of gear I need to get. FYI it will be mid august high country mule deer. Thanks for any info!

WKR
What's the lowest temperature you're expecting? I'm wondering if a lighter summer bag might be more useful for you long term than the 20 degree bag.

OP
BattlebornArcher
I’m thinking probably around the 50’s unless a storm comes in a drops it a little bit more.

WKR
I don't have any experience with that specific bag. It could be perfect for you depending on how you sleep, what your pad and shelter are, and what types of hunts you're planning on the future.

For the range of camping I do, I got a $40 summer bag (32deg w/comfort rating at 50deg) and a high-end down quilt and pad to keep me comfortable down to 10-degree weather. In my situation, I think the anthracite would be a compromise that I wouldn't be happy with for the majority of my situations.

OP
BattlebornArcher
I don't have any experience with that specific bag. It could be perfect for you depending on how you sleep, what your pad and shelter are, and what types of hunts you're planning on the future.

For the range of camping I do, I got a $40 summer bag (32deg w/comfort rating at 50deg) and a high-end down quilt and pad to keep me comfortable down to 10-degree weather. In my situation, I think the anthracite would be a compromise that I wouldn't be happy with for the majority of my situations.
Thanks for the information I appreciate your input! I may look into a higher degree bag just because of the fact that the majority of my hunt is done in august or early September

Down to 50 degree nights maybe a bit colder I'd say you'd be pretty uncomfortable in a 20 degree bag.

I'd find a 50 degree synthetic bag (they are pretty cheap) and that should cover you pretty well for Aug hunts. Worst case if it drops into the 40's just throw on a few baselayers.

OP
BattlebornArcher
Down to 50 degree nights maybe a bit colder I'd say you'd be pretty uncomfortable in a 20 degree bag.

I'd find a 50 degree synthetic bag (they are pretty cheap) and that should cover you pretty well for Aug hunts. Worst case if it drops into the 40's just throw on a few baselayers.
Thanks for the info I’ll definitely look into getting a higher temp bag