Thoughts on eberlestock packs

JtAnvil

FNG
Been looking at Eberlestock packs, they seem pretty nice and have good amount of room for not a bad sales price. Anybody had any dealings with them? Pros? Cons?

LaHunter

WKR
My first pack was a J34 'Just One'. I used it on my first mule deer hunt back in 2013. I sold it in the offseason. It was durable and performed just ok carrying my hunting gear, but just did not ride well with more than about 30 pounds. Also, it was heavy empty. It always felt like it was pulling me back and down especially when I had it loaded up to about 65 lbs during training hikes.

muddydogs

WKR
There heavy for there size and I didn't think they carry as well as the MR, used one for 5 years before I branched out. With all the good packs on the market I would pick something else.

Depends on what you are doing with the pack? I ran a Dragonfly for half dozen years and used it as a daypack as well . I think the layout of the dragonfly is the best out of any pack I have used. The rifle scabbord is my favorite option on the pack. I still have and use my dragonfly as a daypack. I went to the kuiu 5200 for a couple years and although it was a great pack I found it very confusing! Next was the exo 5500. My favorite pack so far but hate the layout. Back to the eberlestock. As I said the layout and use is simple. I run the spike duffle while backpacking. The cons to this pack is that it doesnt carry weight nearly as comfortable as either the kuiu or exo. The dragonfly needs a load lifter system to make it more comfortable. They can certainly be found at decent prices. I currently own the dragonfly and the gunrunner. Packs like the exo are "next level" at carrying weight but they are very expensive. Buy an eberlestock, you will like it.

OP
J

JtAnvil

FNG
Depends on what you are doing with the pack? I ran a Dragonfly for half dozen years and used it as a daypack as well . I think the layout of the dragonfly is the best out of any pack I have used. The rifle scabbord is my favorite option on the pack. I still have and use my dragonfly as a daypack. I went to the kuiu 5200 for a couple years and although it was a great pack I found it very confusing! Next was the exo 5500. My favorite pack so far but hate the layout. Back to the eberlestock. As I said the layout and use is simple. I run the spike duffle while backpacking. The cons to this pack is that it doesnt carry weight nearly as comfortable as either the kuiu or exo. The dragonfly needs a load lifter system to make it more comfortable. They can certainly be found at decent prices. I currently own the dragonfly and the gunrunner. Packs like the exo are "next level" at carrying weight but they are very expensive. Buy an eberlestock, you will like it.
I’m looking for a multi day pack, something a little bigger that can carry some food for 2-3 days, small tent, backcountry hunting type stuff. It looks like you can carry a rifle two different kinds of way, you prefer the rifle to be on the side or in the back of the pack?

bmf0713

WKR
I’ve had a dragonfly and an x2. Liked both of them. The scabbard on the dragonfly was awesome and I liked the customization but that pack weighed like 12 pounds with all the pouches and add ons so I sold it for a lighter pack. I still have the x2 and like it ,it carries weight good up to 50lbs. I kind of regret selling the dragonfly.

My first pack was a J34 'Just One'. I used it on my first mule deer hunt back in 2013. I sold it in the offseason. It was durable and performed just ok carrying my hunting gear, but just did not ride well with more than about 30 pounds. Also, it was heavy empty. It always felt like it was pulling me back and down especially when I had it loaded up to about 65 lbs during training hikes.
My experience exactly.

They are good, solid packs to be sure however.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I started with a Blue Widow. I liked the pack. The only downside for me was the weight. They are heavy. That said they are tough and we'll made.

I didn't find it uncomfortable when loaded. I packed a few elk out with it and low and behold, I survived and wasn't injured.

I'd never owned a pack prior to this. It allowed me to figure out what I liked in a pack and the things that were important to me. When I got in a position to upgrade the decision was simple because I was able to prioritize based on some experience.

If the Eberlestock is what fits your budget it will serve you well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have the F1 main frame/ duffle/ scabbard. It is a nice pack. Its rides nice for me. It's a little on the heavier side. It's built well. I feel that it is a great pack if you are unsure about backpack hunting. The scabbard is awesome for crawling around in brush and rocks.

I also have a Kifaru Mountain Warrior. I also love this pack. Is the Eberlestock in the running with the Kifaru? No. But it's still a great pack. I wouldn't think twice about buying it again, or running it tomorrow.
I can tell you this: when I am running around with the Kifaru, I sure do miss the shelf on the F1. If for no other reason just because the pack can sit up by itself. And when its loaded down, that can be awesome.

Pro953

WKR
I still run a X2 for training hikes and pulling cameras etc... I do not think I would want to do much of a pack out with it though. The first year I ran it I did a couple two night trips. Even running light space was tight. I would go larger.

They are heavy packs so you need to accept that. If it fits your price range and you like the feel/look then go for it. You will likely go though a few packs until you find the type that fits your style of hunting and body. If you are willing to go used, keep an eye out here. You can find some great deals on used packs and for the same $$$ maybe upgrade a tier or two.

Shiny new gear is always fun but if you do it right your pack will get beat up and bloody so nothing wrong with a pack that is broken in already.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Eberlestock Sawtooth for a light day pack, MR Selway for an everything pack. For the price I'm a fan of Eberlestock. I had the gunrunner, didn't like it but not because of comfort, just didn't fit my needs. I bought the Selway used in like new cond for quite a bit less than retail. MR packs are amazing as are a few others.

OP
J

JtAnvil

FNG
Thanks for the input fellas, looking at packs can be mind boggling sometimes! Hard to tell exactly what your looking at

kiddogy

WKR
I found them to be heavy and pretty uncomfortable . but that's just me .

I would also say I thought the were well made and a GOOD BUY …. FOR THE MONEY.

imho they are not in the class of stone glacier, kuiu, kifaru or EXO . but they are a decent pack for the budget hunter who can not yet afford all the high dollar items

KyleR1985

WKR
In my experience two things stand out when you reach the next level in pricing/name of the higher end packs. Weight and adjustability.

It seems that if you’re a somewhat normal shaped person, most of the lower end packs will fit your body ok and do the job. If you’re really tall, or really large, or have odd shaped back, etc, that’s where these other packs seem to shine.

The weight is strictly preference. For me, the extra 2-4lbs the eberlestock will weigh over one of the high end packs is a big deal when you’re carrying it all day every day on a hunt. If you’re going a half mile or a mile from the truck, it may not matter.

I can only speak to trials at home, but I have a just one I picked up for a really good deal. With 75lbs in it, it’s the least comfortable of the 4 options I have. Would I hunt with it? Yes, in a heartbeat. But looking at the price of that pack new, with accessories, I’m only saving 15-30% over some of the higher end packs. Only you can decide if that money is more valuable in other areas besides your pack.

oldhorse

WKR
There is a pretty common theme in this thread. Eberlestock packs are well made and durable, but heavy and not very comfortable under heavy loads. I agree, but that's just my opinion. I have owned and used the Dragonfly and the Fac Trac. I really liked the pack layout and design, but the comfort wasn't there. I then went down the Kifaru "Rabbit Hole " and have been impressed. The comfort , adjustability and modularity are what hooked me. I have tried Exo(pre-K2 skeleton frame) , MR nice frame and Stone Glacier X-Curve. I always come back to Kifaru. Don't get me wrong; the Eberlestock packs will get it done and last a long time, but you will more than likely sell and upgrade after a season or two. Just one guy's opinion. Good luck on your search. Let us know what you end up doing.

Bacwest

FNG
I have used the eberlestock blue widow for 3 years and have just upgraded to the Kifaru mt warrior because I'm doing more back pack hunting and carrying my camp on back was just to uncomfortable, I would get sore shoulders and headaches, these have gone away since I purchased a Kifaru mt warrior... I love my Kifaru and my son uses my erbelestock now.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I was just looking at one last night. I didn't like the one I was looking at due to the fact that the meat sat on the back side of your gear, away from your body.

OP
J

JtAnvil

FNG
I was just looking at one last night. I didn't like the one I was looking at due to the fact that the meat sat on the back side of your gear, away from your body.
Yeah I noticed that exact same thing and that was one thing I was really contemplating about when I was looking at them

K

Kootenay Hunter

I only experience one pack, in my early days of hunting I desperately wanted a rifle scabbard for day hunts. I got a X1 Euro.

It's a tough pack and held up to weather well, but it's weighed a tonne, the layout is horrendous and was not comfy to wear,

I saw a few eberlestock packs at a trade show and they can't hold a candle to the SG or Exo in term of weight to me at least.